Review | Meagan Spooner – Hunted.

24485589Title: Hunted.
Author:  Meagan Spooner.
Pages:  352.
Published: March 14th 2017 by HarperTeen.
Source: Edelweiss and publisher, thanks!
Beauty knows the Beast’s forest in her bones—and in her blood. Though she grew up with the city’s highest aristocrats, far from her father’s old lodge, she knows that the forest holds secrets and that her father is the only hunter who’s ever come close to discovering them. So when her father loses his fortune and moves Yeva and her sisters back to the outskirts of town, Yeva is secretly relieved. Out in the wilderness, there’s no pressure to make idle chatter with vapid baronessas…or to submit to marrying a wealthy gentleman. But Yeva’s father’s misfortune may have cost him his mind, and when he goes missing in the woods, Yeva sets her sights on one prey: the creature he’d been obsessively tracking just before his disappearance. Deaf to her sisters’ protests, Yeva hunts this strange Beast back into his own territory—a cursed valley, a ruined castle, and a world of creatures that Yeva’s only heard about in fairy tales. A world that can bring her ruin or salvation. Who will survive: the Beauty, or the Beast?

Rating:


Oh my! You are probably aware of my undying love for Beauty and the Beast, so I'm happy to say this is a worthy retelling. I LOVED every single moment and I already can't wait to buy a hard copy, so I can re-read it.

Yeva's father loses all his money after a stupid gamble for even more money and power. Yeva and her two sisters have to move into his tiny house in the forest, away from town. Yeva is secretly relieved to live in a more quiet place, but her father's fraying mind is starting to worry her. One day he returns, claiming he has to hunt down a monster and Yeva decides to go after him. Yeva is captured by the Beast, but over time the two grow closer and she is torn apart by her feelings for him and her loyalty towards her family.

Yeva was fabulous and it didn't take me much time to fall in love with her personality and voice. I loved everything about her. She is (physically and mentally) strong, wild and stubborn, but never too rash in her decisions. She is so out of place in town, but I like her attempts to fit in to make her father happy. It was clear from the beginning that she was meant for a different life than what he envisioned, but I admired her loyalty to her family to try it anyway. Her restlessness and need for more is how she ends up in the hands of Beast.

Every once in a while you get to see his point of view at the beginning of a chapter and it is clear he has a troubled mind. I liked the jumpy and chaotic writing, because it truly set him apart from the other characters in the book. His background story was fascinating and I was curious to see what the authors was planning to do with his curse; awesome twist! It felt like a fairytale inside a fairytale - and that background story made him a fascinating character.

The plot and writing moved with a fast, yet steady pace. It was the perfect balance between giving things enough time and moving on, so it wouldn't get too boring. The romance had enough time to blossom and I felt it happened subtle and believable. The writing is smooth, absolutely fairytale worthy and filled with details without getting overwhelming. This book definitely shows instead of tells, which made it easy to get swept away. 

Definitely highly recommended.

10 comments

  1. Ah yay! I've been looking forward to this one. There are so few REALLY GOOD Beauty and the Beast retellings<3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niiiice! I ADORE Beauty and the Beast as well, so I am SUPER excited for this one!! Love a good B&tB retelling! And I am so happy to hear that this one was good!! Yay! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! All Beauty and the Beast retellings deserve to be good. This one is highly anticipated for me so I hope I enjoy it just as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This retelling sounds AMAZING - so glad you loved it! Will definitely be reading it! *_*

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fairytale inside a fairytale! I love the sound of that and I'm glad this lived up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to read HUNTED! It sounds incredible, and I'm hoping to love it as much as you did. After all, we need all of the amazing BATB retellings ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds incredible! Beauty and the beast was always my favourite disney film so I get so excited for re-tellings of it! Not too mention it might help with my excitement for the film! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! I'm picky with my fairytale retellings but I WILL be adding this one to my tbr shelf for sure now that I've read your thoughts on it! Beauty and the Beast is such a quality story, I'm happy they did it justice here^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this review! I've been on the fence about it - it looks so good but I'm wary of Beauty and the Beast retellings - so reading this review from an avid BatB fan just solidifies it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeee :D YAY for enjoying this book so much Mel. <3 I loved it to pieces. Such a perfect retelling :) So glad it didn't disappoint you. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.