Tuesday, February 14, 2017 21:36

Review | By Your Side – Kasie West.

30256248Title: By Your Side.
Author:  Kasie West.
Pages:  352.
Published: January 31st 2017 by HarperTeen
Source: Edelweiss and publisher, thanks!
When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her. Only he doesn’t come. No one does. Instead it becomes clear that Autumn is going to have to spend the next couple of days living off vending-machine food and making conversation with a boy who clearly wants nothing to do with her. Except there is more to Dax than meets the eye. As he and Autumn first grudgingly, and then not so grudgingly, open up to each other, Autumn is struck by their surprising connection. But can their feelings for each other survive once the weekend is over and Autumn’s old life, and old love interest, threaten to pull her from Dax’s side?

Rating:


I've come to this point where I am sure I will never dislike a book written by Kasie West. This concept is probably my favorite one of her so far. I think every bookworm has a daydream where they are locked up in the library, especially if this happens to be together with a cute boy.

Autumn is on her way to a fun weekend with her friends, especially with her almost-boyfriend Jeff, when she gets stuck in the library. She keeps expecting someone to return and pick her up, but her friends don't seem to realize Autumn is left behind. Then she finds out she is not alone: Dax is there too and he has a good reason to be there. The two have a rocky start, mainly because of their prejudices, but slowly they start to talk and a friendship is formed.

I loved both Autumn and Dax. Autumn suffers from anxiety and has panic attacks - and now she can't take her medication. During the book we see her struggle with these problems and it was something I could identify with to a certain point. Dax has an entire different story that I'll not talk about in details, but believe me when I say he doesn't have the most happy youth while growing up and it has given him a reputation at school. Both Dax and Autumn have prejudices against each other and it was nice to see them overcome this. Autumn and Dax start to open up to each other and it was heart-warming to see them form a special bond.


I think West did a good job at showing Autumn's confusion, because she starts to like Dax while she is almost in a relationship with Jeff. There is no touch of love-triangle at all and this is the type of situation I could see happening in real life. She also struggles with his distant behavior, because can they keep this friendship alive outside the library?

Like always, this is a fluffy book with a deeper touch to it and I flew through the pages. Keep them coming West!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

6 comments:

  1. Great review. I just finished reading 'the fill in boyfriend' by Kasie West and I although I did enjoy it, I didn't feel like it was amazing. I was slightly disappointed with it, but I still want to read more of her books because I've heard so many amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any Kasie West books yet-- mostly because I'm sketchy when it comes to romance books. But I've heard really good things and I'm super curious about this one-- although I'm also wondering why they can't get out of the library? Are there no windows? Are there no phones??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad this lived up to your expectations! I've heard mixed things but I can understand that because I've LOVED some Kasie West books and only liked others. I hope this will be one I love! And how awesome that we get two new books from her this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that you know that I don't read many contemporaries - the mood just strikes me so rarely. I am curious about Kasie West though because I love of blogger friends seem to love her as much as you do. I'm thrilled that this lived up to your expectations my friend: the premise is certainly a dream come true ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm starting to get really frustrated that I've never read a Kasie West contemporary. They sound so amazing and perfect for when I'm in a fluffy book mood!! The only book of hers I've read is Pivot Point and I NEED MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review Mel :D So glad you adored this book so much. <3 YAY :D And yay for loving this author. Not really my genre, so haven't read any books by her, but this one do sound cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0