Bulletjournal Adventure | January '17.


If you are new to bulletjournaling: it is basically a wish list, to-do list and journal – and what I like to do is decorate it with doodles, handlettering, stamps and washi-tape. I have two informative posts about my step into this bujo-world and setting up collections. 

Setting up 2017.
I started with the set-up of my new bulletjournal in December last year and it has been so much fun. The best thing about the bullet system though, is that you can start at any point in the year. I started my dotted Emerald Green Leuchtturm 1917 in June last year and I filled it entirely. I wasn't really sure what to expect and what spreads I wanted to include, so setting up my new one was easier this time. I enjoyed using my Leuchtturm, so I bought a light blue one for 2017. The stickers you see are purchased from Redbubble.

My next informative post will be about all the materials I use, but here is already a little spoiler. I'm building a collection of different pens and I found this set of Staedtler fine liners (0.3 mm) for a good price. I really like to use them for that little pop of color in my spreads and they are also very easy to doodle with.

New BUJOKey-index

The first page is my key and the start of my Index. I googled a picture of the Disney castle and drew the silhouette as my key. The Index is the part where you list down all your spreads with page numbers to make it easier when you look for something. I have a few special methods to keep my Index simple and uncluttered that I will share with you next time. I'm currently 'reviewing' a few ways to make navigation easier as well, so be on the look-out for that post.

2017 calendar

Another spread I enjoy using is the 2017 calendar. I flip to this yearly overview when I'm setting-up my monthly log and habit tracker (I include the days and dates). And let's be honest, I simply like the look for having a calendar as one of the first pages. The next page are a few of my goals, divided in 'personal' and 'hobbies'. I like to set goals to give myself some guidance what I want to achieve in a year. This can be something as simple as 'make time for my family/boyfriend' or 'be kind and open-minded'.



Setting up January. 

I always use the same spreads for my months, because I found out they work the best for me. The only thing I switch is the placement, design and details.  (Not shown now: Expenses log, memories and weekly spreads, where I'm also trying out a new design)     


January
I think these 'Hello MONTH' pages make it easy to navigate in my journal. It is a fun divider between separate months and it gives me the ability to come up with something creative for that month. I like to have certain themes. For January I went with blue and simplicity by drawing different flowers. I am quite happy with the results of these doodles and how it all goes together! 

Jan tracker


I changed the design of my monthly log. Normally I would do a two page spread (Example can be found in my December bulletjournal post), but I realized I don't need all that space.The tiny squares are enough and I still have enough room for my 'Goals' and 'Tasks', so this is a better way to use the entire page. I also like that is it is right above my habit tracker.  


Read, watch Jan



Another thing I enjoy is to make To read/To watch pages, although I rarely finish everything I write down. I've done a great job in January though (see recap post). Next to it is a page for the Plan With Me Challenge, hosted on Instagram. I never finish the entire challenge, but it's a fun way to show my planner and to get to know other bulletjournalists.

So, in short:
1. You can start your bulletjournal at any point.
2. Key, Index and Calendar are easy spreads to have at the beginning of your journal.
3. Hello page, monthly log, tracker, Expenses log, memories and weekly spreads are the things I set up for every month.
4. Plan with me challenge is a fun way to get to know more bulletjournalists on Instagram.
5. Two materials I love to use: Staedtler fineliners and dotted Leuchtturm 1917.

Next up:
1. The spreads I use to keep track of my reading and blogging.
2. More information about materials I use.
3. My tips and tricks to easy navigation in the Index and Bulletjournal.
4. More pages I set up for 2017.

8 comments

  1. I really do love the way you set up your monthly pages. I'm still experimenting with mine, tweaking as I go. My monthly overview calendar goes over two pages atm, simply because I'm not tracking all that many habits (though I should probably change it up and track more).

    I reckon I should give the plan with me challenge a go (I won't make every day but still it would be a fantastic way to get inspiration and see what others are doing).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that Key with the Castle is absolutely stunning! I'm truly blown away by your artistic skills time and time again! Your organisation is really impressive too ♥ If I liked my handwriting and could draw worth a damn, I'd probably have gotten into this already but I'm a bit intimidated to be honest. One day I'll bite the bullet and try my hand - I hope LOL! Thanks so much for sharing Mel!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Disney castle key is incredibly beautiful<3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at other people's bullet journals! I'm pretty dedicated to my Day Designer as a daily planner, but I've traded in my regular journal that I've been writing in for forever for a sketch book with more elements from the bujo way of life. It's just so fun to doodle, you know? :) Love all the flower elements, and, of course, that castle is cool as heck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of your bujo spreads! Your writing is so neat and I love the setup, particularly your to read and to watch pages. It's so neat! Thanks for sharing Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay bullet journals! You're so good at doodling in yours. I'm terrible at that, unfortunately, so I tend to avoid even trying for fear I will mess up a spread. I can't wait to see more bujo posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bullet journal is GORGEOUS (I LOVE the Disney castle key!!) I always admire looking at bullet journaling posts because they're so creative and look like they take so much effort! Personally, I still prefer to use a traditional planner (I've been using Erin Condren planners for years) but I love seeing how creative people get with their methods of planning!

    -Cristina @ Girl in the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sigh. <3 You are so so so awesome Mel :D I love how talented you are at this. YAY :D Thank you for always sharing about it too. <3 I'm so jealous, lol. You are the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.