Sunday, January 29, 2017 14:59

Review | Anna Banks – Nemesis.

27414431Title: Nemesis.
Author:  Anna Banks.
Pages:  368.
Published: October 4th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends
Princess Sepora of Serubel is the last Forger in all the five kingdoms. The spectorium she creates provides energy for all, but now her father has found a way to weaponize it, and his intentions to incite war force her to flee his grasp. She escapes across enemy lines into the kingdom of Theoria, but her plans to hide are thwarted when she is captured and placed in the young king’s servitude. Tarik has just taken over rulership of Theoria, and must now face a new plague sweeping through his kingdom and killing his citizens. The last thing he needs is a troublesome servant vying for his attention. But Mistress Sepora will not be ignored. When the two finally meet face-to-face, they form an unlikely bond that complicates life in ways neither of them could have imagined.
Sepora's gift may be able to save Tarik’s kingdom. But should she risk exposing herself and her growing feelings for her nemesis?

Rating:

I've heard terrible things about the romance in Anna Banks' previous series, so in that aspect she did a better job. I'm still not completely sold on it, but it is definitely not the worst relationship ever. Tarik an Sepora spend time together, trying to come up with a solution for the possible upcoming war, before they get feelings for each other. The whole speak of 'love' developed a bit quickly, but I could look past that. He is at least respectful towards her and cares for her opinion. It's a shame I never had strong shippy feelings.

1. I liked how the story started. The setting was a bit confusing (and I still don't really understand how Spectronium works), but it is a basic plot that always works. Sepora is from one Kingdom and her father is using her for his hunger for more power. She decides to flee to the enemy Kingdom to hide, but instead is sold into Tarik's harem. Now she finds herself struggling between defending her own people and saving Tarik's people from her father.

2. Sepora (did not like this name) is a special snow flake. She immediately becomes the prettiest girl in the harem, she is always praised for her intelligence, she is capable of fighting (yet is capture in the first few chapters) and she is the only one left to Forge the Spectronium everyone is looking for. Nevertheless, she has some spunk and I didn't hate her.

3. Tarik is forced to take the throne when he is only 18 years old (normally it passes down when the King dies on an old age) and he is not ready for it. Perhaps that is why he lets Sepora defy him in every way without punishing her. He finds her interesting and refreshing, but most of the times I just found her rude. Also the whole switch from her career as possible mistress in his new harem to servant of his adviser was too far-fetched for my taste.

Not the worst. Not the best.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

3 comments:

  1. I think I read through this entire review originally seeing the name "Sephora" instead of "Sepora," and only realized my mistake by the time I got to the bottom! Yeah, not my favorite name. But at least I liked your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review Mel. <3 Aw, I'm sorry you had so many issues with this one :\ I liked it a lot, but also didn't love it, hih :) Thank you for sharing your awesome thoughts about it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even think I'm familiar with Banks' other series but it sounds like that might be a good thing! I'm happy there was some improvements there for you but sorry it didn't deliver on all fronts. I don't think that this is a book for me but I appreciate your review nonetheless :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0