Tuesday, December 06, 2016 15:33

Review 271. | My Lady Jane – Ashton, Hand, Meadows.

22840421Title: My Lady Jane.
Author:  Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton + Jodi Meadows.
Pages:  491.
Published: June 7th 2016 by HarperTeen
Source: Edelweiss and publisher, thanks!
The comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey. In My Lady Jane, coauthors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have created a one-of-a-kind fantasy in the tradition of The Princess Bride, featuring a reluctant king, an even more reluctant queen, a noble steed, and only a passing resemblance to actual history—because sometimes history needs a little help. At sixteen, Lady Jane Grey is about to be married off to a stranger and caught up in a conspiracy to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But those trifling problems aren’t for Jane to worry about. Jane is about to become the Queen of England.

Rating:

This book gave me mixed feelings. When I started it I thought it was simply brilliant. But, the further I got into the story, the more I fell out of love with it. In the end, it became simply one of those enjoyable stories that was nothing special. Perhaps I had too high expectations, because I was expecting a lot from these three authors.

I was, and still am, a big fan of Jane though. The way the authors created her character was brilliant and she was my spirit animal. She loved reading, tried to stay away from parties and when she had to attend, she was not a social butterfly. I could totally see myself become friends with her, so we could rave about books and be awkward in groups together.

Edward shows great progress throughout the story. He grew up with the same knowledge as every man in that time period; girls were pretty much useless. Their only worth was marrying them off to someone powerful and rich - and that is exactly what is going to happen to Jane. Edward needs to secure his line on the throne, because he is dying, so if Jane gets children in time they can be put on the throne.

Her mother has tried to marry off Jane on multiple occasions and all of them failed, so Jane is not scared in the beginning. But the further we get, the more serious it is starting to become - and Jane really dislikes Gifford and his reputations. The problem for Gifford is that his special condition makes it hard to get to know him better. He is unable to control his powers, but at the same time, it is something that connects them when Jane finds out what she is able to do. The two of them grow together and that was definitely the highlight of this book.

It was fun, it was good, but not as mind-blowing as it was in the beginning. I am, however, still looking forward to the upcoming retellings from these three.


“He wanted to tell her she'd have more room if she'd just get rid of her books, but he supposed that in her case, it would be like telling a mother she'd have more room if she threw out her children.” 
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

7 comments:

  1. I've had this book unread on my shelves for too long! Need to read it asap. I've read so many raving reviews so it's good to read yours now and know I've got to temper my expectations somewhat. Loooove the quote though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somehow really enjoy when I see a non-rave review for books that seem to have only been getting rave reviews. It definitely helps me get a better idea of the book itself. I started it briefly a week or so ago, but then sort of forgot about it (whoops), so I think maybe I'll give it a second chance. Something fun sounds nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always oddly sad when a book starts out amazingly but ends up much less impressively. I *think* that this is a new to me title though but I might have just seen it and forgotten about it. I am curious about these authors doing a retelling for sure though so I might have to check it out for myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite enjoyed My Lady Jane! I thought it was such a fun take on a famous gal in history, and I really liked the addition of magic and some pop culture references here and there. Even though it didn't wind up becoming a new favorite for you, I'm still happy you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of people have loved this book, I remember when it first came out everyone was raving about it and I hadn't even heard of it. I've got it on my TBR but I haven't felt like reading it yet. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and you're still looking forward to the next book :D

    Jordon @ Simply Adrift

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book and thought it was so clever and fun; I'm sorry it lost some luster for you as you kept reading but at least you enjoyed it for the most part! I can't wait to see what other retellings they write either :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely review Mel :D I'm glad you liked this one. <3 But aw, I'm so sorry you didn't love it :( I loved it lots, so sad to see that you were disappointed :\ But yaaay for loving Jane :D And the romance. <3 I adored the romance. Eee. Thank you for sharing your lovely thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0