Sunday, July 17, 2016 15:41

Retelling July '16 | Inspiration for retellings.

Sound_thumb2
Don't forget to tweet and Instagram with the hash-tag #fairytaleRC.

UPDATE  @ your name/blog name. This is your master post, like your challenge page.
REVIEW – book title @ your name/blog name.

I often see people comment about the fact that they are 'failing' this challenge, but I want to point out there is no failling. This challenge is all about having fun and simply reading books you enjoy; and if you don't feel like it, then don't do it. But, this got me thinking about the fact some people might get stuck on what books they have to read. So, here is a list with all kinds of retellings you might be in the mood for – and some that will be published at the end of this year.

Lady Jane271906132707012727209455120227658306761228389272488580928448239

Historical/classics.
Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows & Cynthia Hand – My Lady Jane. 'Lady Jane Grey'
Kiersten White – And I darken. 'Vlad the Impaler'
Anne Tyler – Vinegar girl. 'Taming of the Shrew'
Ryan North – Romeo and/or Juliet.
Rebecca Serle – When you were mine. 'Romeo and Juliet'
Rachel Caine – Prince of shadows. 'Romeo and Juliet'
Dawn Ius – Anne & Henry. 'Anne Boleyn & Henry VIII'
Cat Winters – The steep and thorny way. 'Hamlet'
Rosamund Hodge – Bright smoke, cold fire. 'Romeo and Juliet'
S. Jae Jones – Wintersong. 'Labyrinth'
Diana Peterfreund – For darkness shows the stars. 'Persuasion'

1708424218080011203124622327202824885790

Sherlock Holmes. 
William Ritter – Jackaby. 
Colleen Gleason – The clockwork scarab.
Brittany Cavallaro – A study in Charlotte.
Heather W. Petty – Lock & Mori.
Ellie Marney – Every breath.

139281790641210754360754318336985183924762206508022747768238460712476362128554825

Not-so-popular fairytales/folktale retold. Sarah Porter – Vassa in the night. 'Vassilissa the Beautiful'
Hannah West – Kingdom of Ash and Briars. 'Building on homages to Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Jane Austen’s Emma and the Chinese legend of Hua Mulan'
John Claude Bemis – The wooden prince. 'Pinocchio'
Sherri L. Smith – The toymaker's apprentice. 'The nutcracker prince.'
Sarah McGuire – Valiant. 'The Brave Tailor'
 Juliet Marillier – Daughter of the forest. 'The six swans'
Shannon Hale – The goose girl.
Jessica Day George – Sun and moon, Ice and snow. 'East of the sun, west of the moon'
Cameron Dokey – The wild orchid. 'Mulan'
Jenni James – The little mermaid.
Liesl Shurtliff – Jack: the true story of Jack and the Beanstalk.
Jackson Pearce – Sisters red. 'Red Riding Hood'

Have you read any of these books or are you planning to pick one of these? How far are you with the challenge?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. I have read My Lady Jane and didn't even think about counting it for the challenge. I will go add it now. I have not read many retellings this year because I have been into contemporary, but that is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is totally okay! And it's great that you've found out that you have one more book to count towards your challenge :)

      Delete
  2. I'm more than halfway through an ARC of VASSA IN THE NGHT and ohmyword!!! So, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I read And I Darken and Juliet Marillier's second book of the Sevenwaters series - but I didn't know whether I should count them towards this challenge or not. I mean, The Daughter of the Forest has a clear fairytale inspiration (6 swans) but Son of the Shadows doesn't - it's certainly inspired by folklore, but isn't necessarily based on a single story.

    Ditto for A Court of Mist and Fury: I counted ACOTAR last year because it's inspired by Beauty & the Beast but I don't know what to do with ACOMAF... Decisions, decisions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I darken is definitely part of this challenge :) not so sure about those sequels, because you are right, they don't seem to be inspired by a certain tale anymore.

      Delete
  4. Ohh love this post! I'm sorry for missing out, but where can I find the post about this challenge? I absolutely love retellings especially fairytale retelling and I would love to participate :D Great ideas and great book recommendations! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the master sign-up post :D

      https://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2015/12/retelling-challenge-2016-sign-up-post.html

      Delete
  5. I've read Valiant, The Goose Girl, and Daughter of the Forest and pretty much loved them. I do want to read Vassa in the Night, and some of these I've never heard of but am totally adding to my TBR at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed the deadline! Here's my review for 'Sisters Red', the only retelling I read in July.

    http://chasedbymyimagination.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/book-review-sisters-red-jackson-pearce.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaaay for awesome post sweetie. <3 Thank you for sharing about all of these books to read :) I have read some of them, but curious about the rest :D Gah. I didn't add any links last month :( But I actually did read some fairytale-ish books. I re-read The School for Good and Evil trilogy, and read the Handbook, so that counts as four books, I think :D Yay! Hope you are doing great. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0