Tuesday, June 21, 2016 21:14

TTT | favorite books of 2016 so far.



I've 'only' read 42 books, but I have found some books I would highly recommend to you. I don't count re-reads for this list. It is a mix of different genres and like always, I surprise myself by including a contemporary.

12345

Far from you by Tess Sharpe.
This is a contemporary/mystery book. The main character's best friend is murdered and everyone thinks it happened because of a bad drugs deal. No one listens to Sophie, so she decide to go on her own to find out what truly happened the night she lost the girl she loved.

Stars above by Marissa Meyer.
I love this series. I'm not a big fan of novella's, but Meyer managed to make me fall in love with all her short stories. They give more insight into the characters and the last novella is the one we've all been waiting for: a wedding!

The shadow queen by C.J Redwine.
There are mixed reviews about The shadow queen, but I personally loved everything about it. Lorelei is a kick-ass girl, there are great twists in the plot and the villain is an interesting character. Snow White has never been my favorite princess, but if she was a little more like Lorelei, she would be in my top 3.

The mirror king by Jodi Meadows.
What an ending! I fell in love with The Orphan Queen and The mirror king was the perfect ending in this duology. Wilhelmina has stolen my heart. This series has everything: a smoldering romance, an important quest and a sassy, kick-ass heroine.

Girl against the universe  by Paula Stokes.
I feel like I repeat myself, but I am not a big contemporary reader. This book, however, shows me that there are stories that I can fall in love with. Maguire is such a powerful, inspirational character, but the book never felt too heavy. Her story actually inspired me to take certain steps in my own life and that makes this book precious to me.

12345


A gathering of shadows by V.E Schwab.
GENIOUS. Hands down one of the best fantasy series I've read in a long time. Schwab is a master in spinning a fascinating tale, filled with all these amazing, fleshed out characters. The basic of this book is that there are several versions of London and Kell is – together with Holland – the only one able to travel between them. On one of his trips he meets Lilah, a girl who dresses up as a guy with a dream to become a pirate. It's fabulous.

The vanishing throne by Elizabeth May.
The falconer blew me away and I loved this sequel even more.  The author even gets away with something that could have turned into a cliched mess.

The steep & thorny way by Cat Winters.
This author is on my auto-buy list for a reason: she knows how to craft good characters. All her female protagonists are strong in their own way. In this Hamlet inspired book, we see the story of Hanalee and how she lives in a time where the KKK is coming up.

Ruined by Amy Tintera.
There were definitely things in this book that made me think I should not love it as much as I do, but it has stolen my heart. Emelina was ruthless, I liked the hate-to-love romance and the ending was brutal.

Ink and bone by Rachel Caine.
Last but not least, this book about a time where the library from Alexandria did not burn down. Owning certain books is a crime. Jess used to be a book smuggler, but he is now in the competition to become a scholar for the Library.

Have you read any of these books and did you love them as much as I do?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

26 comments:

  1. I've read five of the books you mentioned, and they were great! Ink and Bone was one of my favourite books of 2015, I'm excited for the sequel, which is coming out next month. Just like you, I completely loved the Shadow Queen and it's also on my list today. ;) Jodi Meadows is now one of my favourite authors, I've started reading her books back in December and they're amazing. I can't wait to dive into my copy of My Lady Jane. I'm in awe of Victoria Schwab, because every time, she does it again. The ending of AGOS crushed me, because where is the sequel? What do you mean, February 2017? I'm in denial. I have yet to read any books by Cat Winters, but I'm interested, because I saw you talk about this one when you read it for Dewey's 24 hours read-a-thon! I really enjoyed Ruined, when many readers had said it was a typical high fantasy novel... But the feels! Great list, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi Meadows is definitely an author I will keep following. I still have her Incarnate series to read :D

      Delete
  2. "'Only' 42 books", in mine I said "only 10"! :D Well, even if you haven't read as many as you've wanted, you've read some good ones! I'm really glad you like SHADOW QUEEN. I've been a bit hesitant because the reviews haven't been that great, but now I'm definitely willing to give it a try. And I just bought RUINED and have now seen it on 2 lists so I think I made a good decision with that one. And I'm SO excited about THE VANISHING THRONE! Its release date was today (in the US) and I DESPERATELY need it. I'll definitely be making a trip to the store ASAP. All in all, PHENOMENAL list.

    All the best,
    Mackenzie Oh, For the Love of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's why I keep the brackets there :p Definitely pick up The shadow queen!

      Delete
  3. OOoh nice! I still need to read Stars Above and The Shadow Queen!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ink and Bone was awesome, I loved it!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/21/top-ten-tuesday-62/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great selection this week! I've only read The Steep & Thorny Way from your list, though there are a few I've been keeping an eye on up there also!

    Thank you so so much for sharing! Here's my TTT if you're interested. Either way, happy book-ing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AGOS was one of my all time favorite reads of 2016, hands down. It was done so well, that after finishing the book, I kept thinking that I still had more to go. When I DIDN'T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these books yet *ashamed* but they're all on my list! If they weren't before, they definitely are now :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read Stars Above out of these, but it definitely makes my favourites of 2016 as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm SO happy to see The Shadow Queen on this list! I loved that book SO much and Lorelei is an awesome character. Also Leo <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES AGoS made my list this week too!! LOVED it. I still need to crack open my copy of Stars Above and Ink and Bone + get my hands on Orphan Queen so I can catch up though :) Fab picks my friend! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for The Mirror King + The Shadow Queen making this list! Both are such great fantasy reads :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to read The Orphan Queen, The Shadow Queen, Ink & Bone and Ruined - they look SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved, loved, loved Ruined too! I didn't expect too. It's been getting some mixed reviews, but damn, how fantastically sarcastic was it!? I adored Cas and the ending slayed me too. I need to sequel asap.

    I'm glad to see you loved The Mirror King. I read the whole duology last month and while I LOVED The Orphan Queen, I wasn't really that satisfied with TMK's ending. Maybe that's just me though... Tobiah = swoon-worthy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, the ending of TMK could have been better, because there are still some things left unanswered. But overall, really good duology :)

      Delete
  14. I keep hearing such wonderful things about The Vanishing Throne! I still need to read Falconer... Girl Against the Universe has received so much praise from bloggers, so I'll definitely check that one out too. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAAAY :D Lovely list sweet girl. <3 Aw, I have also read less than 50 books this year.. sobs. But I hope to read more soon :D I also loved so so many of these. Eee. Stars Above :D The Shadow Queen :D The Mirror King :D The Steep and Thorny Way :D And ahh, The Vanishing Throne. <3 I gave it four stars, but I did love it so much :D Yesss. I'm so glad you loved it too. Gah. I still haven't read A Gathering of Shadows :\ Soon though. But.. I think I might wait until book three is out, lol. And ah. Ruined. It was a three star for me, sadly :\ Had some isssues. And ack! Girl Against the Universe. I feel so sad that it was only a two star for me. Everyone is loving it. But not me. Hmph. But yesss. I am SO glad you weren't disappointed by it :D Yay! Aaaanyway. Thank you for sharing about all of these books that you loved sweet girl :D I hope you'll read more amazing ones. <3 Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! I keep intending to read Marissa Meyer and haven't gotten to her yet. Thanks for the reminder!
    Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've "only" read 45, I'm trying not to put as much pressure on myself and just read when I feel like it. It's nice! The Mirror King was sooo amazing, so was TVT! I just finished it. I still need to read Stars Above and Ruined. I agree about the novellas, but I love how Marissa writes hers. I might give The Shadow Queen another try, I DNFed because my library hold ran out and I was only sort of interested. But I did like a lot about the evil queen and Lorelai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I just try to go with it and read whenever I feel like it :)

      Delete
  18. I haven't read any of these books yet, but I really want to read Ruined, The Shadow Queen, and the Mirror King! I started A Gathering of Shadows a few months ago, but I ended up putting it off for a while, so I'm going to have to restart it soon. I really enjoyed it, but I just got distracted and busy. I've only heard amazing things though, so I can't wait to pick it up again. I've also heard amazing things about the other books you chose, so maybe I'll check out the others as well. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like some fantastic recommendations Mel! I love Ink and Bone and I really enjoyed ADSOM too. I can't wait to read Shadow Queen, Far From You and the Orphan Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need to make one of my months a Cat Winters month. I have all of her books (even Yesteryear) and I have not read one damn thing, and that makes me sad. It is the pressure that really gets to me with her books. Everyone loves her books and her stories, and I'm always afraid of becoming that black sheep, yet again, because I'm already such an outsider.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've only read Stars Above and its awesome. I really need to step up my reading this year. Have been missing out on all these goodies since I had a baby.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0