Monday, June 13, 2016 21:09

Retelling June ‘16 | Meaning behind fairytales.


Sound_thumb2

Don't forget to tweet and Instagram with the hash-tag #fairytaleRC.

UPDATE  @ your name/blog name. This is your master post, like your challenge page.
REVIEW – book title @ your name/blog name.

Sorry that I kept you waiting for so long. It's a combination of wrong time-management and a busy life at the moment. I was also waiting for a guest post, but that's going to take some more time.

Today I want to talk more about the meaning of fairytales and how they translate to our modern society. This also ties in together with my post where I defended some of the Disney princesses. I think one of the magical things about these tales is that there is always a hidden (or sometimes quite obvious) message. That’s why I love it when nowadays authors take these messages and create something new with them in their retellings.

1. Life lessons.
“Deeper meaning resides in the fairytales told me in my childhood than in any truth that is taught in life.” ~ Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller


Beauty and the beast tells us that it’s not about beauty on the outside; you have to appreciate personality. That is what love is all about. The tale of Mulan shows us that one person can make a difference. Cinderella shows the true meaning of kindness. As long as you keep an open mind and believe in your dreams, things might come true.

Red Riding Hood is there to warn us. Parents might not always be right, but sometimes you better listen to their advice. Never stray from the right path or you might get in trouble; and definitely don’t trust every stranger.  Aladdin is also about appearances. Jasmine falls in love with him for who he is, because she doesn't like him when he portrays to be a rich guy. Dumbo always did something to me. He is different and therefore, he is teased, but in the end that’s what made him special and unique.
Pinocchio is definitely a clear message that you must not tell lies or hang around with the wrong kind of people. Sometimes you have to go after what you want and make your dreams come true, but that doesn’t mean you have to change yourself in the process, according to Ariel. Your actions have consequences.

It’s also starting to get obvious that you don’t accept food from everyone. Before you know it, you might choke on it, you start growing/shrinking or you end up in a cage being fed by a witch until you are fat enough for her meal.

I love these messages behind the tales and I think that's why these stories are so powerful and still important in our daily lives.

2. Hope. “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” - G.K. Chesterton.


What I love about fairytales is that they show us that there is always a happily ever after even if it’s different from what you envisioned. The road is not always easy and sometimes it might feel you are on the wrong track, but in the end it will be all right. This is especially present in all the retellings that are being published lately.

And I want to end this post with a fantastic quote:
 
“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairytales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairytales.”–Albert Einstein
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

6 comments:

  1. I have not read very many fairy tale retellings this year, but hopefully will read a few more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Mel. <3 Gah, I have been so bad at this challenge :( I'm so sorry. But yeah. I love reading your post about it. <3 Hugs. Fairytales are just the most awesome. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this post! Fairytales definitely serves as a cautionary tale, but the best thing about it is: it gives us hope. Hope that one day things would get better, or we would someone, or our good deeds won't go to waste. What a lovely post Mel!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww I love how you summarised all of the lessons learnt from Disney flicks and fairy tales. This is why Beauty and the Beast and Mulan are my favourite (although I think they are quite popular in the blogosphere).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fairytales! As a child, who wasn't mesmerised by the beautiful princess that we all wanted to be. It's not until you're older where you realise that there was more to the princess than children realise. The loyalty, the fierceness, independance. They've morphed and changed so much since I was a child, they're something even adults can enjoy now. Brilliant post Mel, really enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0