Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:53

Review 257. Anne Blankman - Traitor Angels.

25862970Title: Traitor Angels.
Author:  Anne Blankman.
Pages:  400.
Published: May 3rd 2016 by Balzer + Bray.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Edelweiss and publisher, thanks!
Goodreads 
Six years have passed since England’s King Charles II returned from exile to reclaim the throne, ushering in a new era of stability for his subjects. Except for Elizabeth Milton. The daughter of notorious poet John Milton, Elizabeth has never known her place in this shifting world—except by her father’s side. By day she helps transcribe his latest masterpiece, the epic poem Paradise Lost, and by night she learns languages and sword fighting. Although she does not dare object, she suspects that he’s training her for a mission whose purpose she cannot fathom. Until one night the reason becomes clear: the king’s man arrive at her family’s country home to arrest her father. Determined to save him, Elizabeth follows his one cryptic clue and journeys to Oxford, accompanied by her father’s mysterious young houseguest, Antonio Vivani, a darkly handsome Italian scientist who surprises her at every turn. Funny, brilliant, and passionate, Antonio seems just as determined to protect her father as she is—but can she trust him with her heart? When the two discover that Milton has planted an explosive secret in the half-finished Paradise Lost—a secret the king and his aristocratic supporters are desperate to conceal—Elizabeth is faced with a devastating choice: cling to the shelter of her old life or risk cracking the code, unleashing a secret that could save her father…and tear apart the very fabric of society.
Rating:

Two years ago I fell in love with Prisoner of night and fog. Last year Blankman lived up to my expectations with Conspiracy of blood and smoke. This year she proves she is a solid author with Traitor Angels and I can already tell you I wil read whatever she is going to write next. If I would have to compare this book with anything else, I would say it has the same vibes as The Da Vinci Code. With clues and hidden messages that takes Elizabeth on a journey that may destroy society as they know it.

One thing Blankman excels at is writing fleshed-out characters, mainly females that prove you can be strong without having muscles. Elizabeth is the daughter of famous poet John Milton and she helps him with his latest work after he lost his sight. He also makes sure she is able to handle a sword and Elizabeth has a feeling he is training her for something more, but she has no idea what, until the night comes where John is arrested by the king's man. Elizabeth has to follow a message he encoded in his half-finished Paradise lost and together with Antonio, an Intalian scientist, she has to crack the secret.

Elizabeth is smart, brave and easy to connect with. I fell in love with her voice right after the start and she did not disappoint me. She has a different way of thinking than is expected of females and I liked how her father gave her space to explore things she likes. It is obvious he gave her a broad education while growing up. That is also something that made me appreciate Antonio and their growing feelings. He completely supports Elizabeth and her passion for science, something that is out of the question for her gender. He respects her and her thoughts and they had such an equal understanding, you can't help yourself from falling in love with him too. The best part about the romance, besides being slow-building, was the fact it never takes the front seat. This book is all about figuring out what her father has hidden in his poem.

During all twists, turns and clues it is obvious that the author did her research. There are many topics she explores that makes sure you are hooked to the story and I have learned a few new things as well. The historical setting is really nicely done. There is an emphasis on religion and Galileo Galilei's work – and it is all blended so well into the story. I think it will also appeal to people to tend to stay away from historical reads, because there is so much else to explore as well.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for more historical fiction! I've been picking up quite a few lately. Now Traitor Angels is on my radar thanks to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds very, very good. I'm glad you liked it! I have never read the entire Paradise Lost but I've studied some fragments of it at Uni and it's a really intriguing work.
    And Elizabeth sounds like the kind of young woman I'd enjoy reading about, plus you mention the slow romance = sold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read Blankman but this and all the other books by her you've enjoyed sound wonderful! The characters being so fleshed out is a huge plus for me and when you combine that with a solid mystery? I'm in! Not to mention a slow burn romance! WIN. Awesome review my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I STILL haven't read my copy of Prisoner of Night and Fog, even though I have heard nothing but good things about it. I really need to start reading the books I buy!

    I'm glad that the author's third book lived up to your previous experiences, Mel! I love discovering a new author that I know I will read with every new release.

    The main character in this one sounds awesome. I always love reading about strong female characters who aren't defined by their physical strength, because strength is so multifaceted and multidimensional. The romance in this one sounds really lovely, as well! Slow burn and respect are both highly rate for me.

    Lovely review as always <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw. I feel so sad that I didn't like her previous books, 3 and 2 stars, and then I had to DNF this one :( SOBS. Makes me feel a bit left out, lol. Oh, well. I LOVE that you love her books, though :D And that you liked this one a lot as well. <3 YAY! Thank you for sharing your lovely review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0