Wednesday, April 06, 2016 19:19

Review 255. Jodi Meadows – The mirror king.

22909838Title: The mirror king.
Author:  Jodi Meadows.
Pages:  554.
Published: April 5th 2016 by Katherine Tegen Book.
Sort: Final book in The orphan queen duology.
Source: I received an ARC copy from HarperCollinsINT.
Goodreads 
Wilhelmina has a hundred enemies. HER FRIENDS HAVE TURNED. After her identity is revealed during the Inundation, Princess Wilhelmina is kept prisoner by the Indigo Kingdom, with the Ospreys lost somewhere in the devastated city. When the Ospreys’ leader emerges at the worst possible moment, leaving Wil’s biggest ally on his deathbed, she must become Black Knife to set things right. HER MAGIC IS UNCONTROLLABLE. Wil’s power is to animate, not to give true life, but in the wraithland she commanded a cloud of wraith mist to save herself, and later ordered it solid. Now there is a living boy made of wraith—destructive and deadly, and willing to do anything for her. HER HEART IS TORN. Though she’s ready for her crown, declaring herself queen means war. Caught between what she wants and what is right, Wilhelmina realizes the throne might not even matter. Everyone thought the wraith was years off, but already it’s destroying Indigo Kingdom villages. If she can’t protect both kingdoms, soon there won’t be a land to rule.
Rating:

This, my friends, is how you write a sequel and I love that Meadows decided to go with a duology, which fits with the story and how it all ended. She made me fall in love with every character, because they are all complex and they all have their own motivations. I also really appreciate how she gave everyone a hard time. There are no rainbows and butterflies in this story, I can tell you that.

There are no spoilers for the first book.

The story picks up right after that cliff-hanger from the Orphan queen. Wilhelmina does everything in her power to help her people and that is how her two worlds start to blend together.  Wil faces a new, unexpected enemy, who is raising an army to take their country back, so he can set Wil back on the throne. Wil wants to do it peacefully, until they reach a point in the story where she is forced to reveal her true identity. 

I love how every page count. There was not a moment where I felt the story slacked. Every sentence mattered and we are thrown in a story where we see Wil struggle with multiple aspects of her life.

1. She does not know how to be Wilhelmina, the Queen. 
2. The people are rioting. 
3. Someone is using violence in her name. 
4. The Wraith is coming closer. 
5. Her romantic feelings are a mess.

The fact that there are so many things that bug her and she still manage to stand up and fight, made me admire her. I fell in love with Wil and her clever, strong and brave attitude. She is confused and afraid, but I think she did one hell of a job. She was a realistic character. I also liked her dynamic with other characters and how her feelings for a specific person grew. There is no focus on romance and definitely no love-at-first-sight, which made this book even better.

There were also some interesting twists and turns, especially surrounding one character that tugged at my heart around the ending. The story would have been perfect if the ending had been entirely closed, but that is just my personal taste. The important things are all nicely wrapped up.

 If you love fantasy, definitely give this one a go!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

6 comments:

  1. I still need to read The Orphan Queen but seeing how much you loved the sequel here, I'll be bumping it up my tbr shelf! I didn't know it'd be a duology but that makes me all the more interested in jumping in! Lovely review as always my friend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way, I loved this book! And there were a couple twists that I didn't see coming AT ALL. It was so well done and such a good conclusion. I loved all of the characters. And the romance was just right, enough to give me what I wanted but not overshadowing the rest of the book. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your thoughts on The Mirror King! It was seriously just a great way to finish off this duology, and I loved it so, so much <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay :D Lovely review Mel. <3 I'm so happy that you loved this book, despite a few issues with it :) I also loved it so much. Wil is just the very best. Yay :D I wish there had been a third book. Sigh. Makes me so sad. But still. I did like the ending :) Thank you for sharing sweet girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent, it's very encouraging to hear you loved this sequel so much - makes me want to read the first book finally all the more! And I always hear great things about Jodi Meadows writing - your description of her characterization sounds awesome - so I can't wait to try it out sometime for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many great things about the first book that I'm glad that this one wraps up nicely Mel! Wil sounds like a really great and brave character I could really get behind. Thank you for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0