Review 252. C.J Redwine – The shadow queen.

C.J Redwine - The shadow queen.Title: The shadow queen.
Author: C. J Redwine.
Pages:  387.
Published: February 16th 2016 by Balzer + Bray
Sort: First companion novel in Ravenspire.
Source: an e-ARC from the publisher on Edelweiss, thanks!
Goodreads
Lorelai Diederich, crown princess and fugitive at large, has one mission: kill the wicked queen who took both the Ravenspire throne and the life of her father. To do that, Lorelai needs to use the one weapon she and Queen Irina have in common—magic. She’ll have to be stronger, faster, and more powerful than Irina, the most dangerous sorceress Ravenspire has ever seen. In the neighboring kingdom of Eldr, when Prince Kol’s father and older brother are killed by an invading army of magic-wielding ogres, the second-born prince is suddenly given the responsibility of saving his kingdom. To do that, Kol needs magic—and the only way to get it is to make a deal with the queen of Ravenspire, promise to become her personal huntsman…and bring her Lorelai’s heart. But Lorelai is nothing like Kol expected—beautiful, fierce, and unstoppable—and despite dark magic, Lorelai is drawn in by the passionate and troubled king. Fighting to stay one step ahead of the dragon huntsman—who she likes far more than she should—Lorelai does everything in her power to ruin the wicked queen. But Irina isn’t going down without a fight, and her final move may cost the princess the one thing she still has left to lose.
Rating:

This book was so much fun. Lorelei is a strong, kick-ass girl and I liked the fast-pacing of the plot. I can not wait to see what other stories the author comes up with, because I always look forward to fairytale retellings with brave girls.

Lorelei and Leo, Crown princess and Crown prince of Ravenspire, ran away from their stepmother Queen Irina together with their guard Gabriel. They both have magic and they want to get their kingdom back when the time is right. I liked that they had a plan and that they worked to become strong enough to beat her. They didn't throw themselves in a useless fight, because it was obvious they were not ready yet to battle Irina. I liked their dynamic with Gabriel, who became their father figure after the death of the King.

Kolvanisimir Arsenyevnek, also Kol, is the new King of Eldr. He needs to make a deal with Queen Irina for help in his war against the ogres. He is a Draconia, which means he is able to shapeshift into a Dragon. This was such a cool addition to the story and I liked that this friends were able to shapeshift as well. I always hate the cliche where the main characters are special or more powerful; he is simply one of many. He meets Lorelei and her brother without knowing who they really are and that gives many obstacles later on. Kol must hunt down the princess in order to get Irina's help and he accepts, until he finds out it is Lorelei.

What I loved about this book is how it did not shy away from making brutal choices. I liked the twists and turns in the story. Lorelei is a strong, brave girl who is capable of making intelligent choices. I liked her dynamic with Kol and how they did not immediately fell in love. There is time to build up their character and interest in each other, which made it not hard to ship them together. They both have to endure a lot and that gave them something important in common.

The black cauldron, Disney

Irina was a powerful, well-crafted villain and she was that type you love to hate. There are parts that feature her and I liked her don't-give-a-crap attitude. She is merciless and the author managed to make her a character instead of a typical caricature villain.

quote review"Never assume that because you sometimes share my bed you are also share my throne. You are dismissed."

16 comments

  1. Loved this book! My favorite quote was one of Gabril's: "I believe in you, and I’ve fought for you, because in a world full of people who crumble before an evil too terrifying to comprehend, you put up your fists and fight."

    Also LEO ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice! I STILL need to read this one!! So looking forward to picking it up though! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to read this one! It's the book of the month for my book club so I'm going to get to it really soon<3!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHH I WANT TO READ THIS QUITE BADLY NOW. I've heard it's a bit cliche in the world-building? But omg, I'm really really interested in it. (And plus cover love. <3) And I'm totally intrigued by picking the brutal choices. YES PLEASE. *cackles deviously*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED THE SHADOW QUEEN SO MUCH. I honestly just could not stop reading it once I'd started, and I definitely feel like it's one of those books that does a cool interpretation of a fairy tale I'm quite familiar with. I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed it too <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was unsure about this book when it first started making its rounds but seeing how much you enjoyed it, and all the positive comments you've received here, well I want to read it now too! I'm all for unique fairytale retellings, especially with solid villains! Really happy you enjoyed this Mel^^ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO glad to know you loved this!! I really want to get around retellings and I've been eyeing this one. Must get this soon!! Great review!

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah I've been meaning to get my hands on this book! I love these kinds of villains they're one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I def love reading about villains we love to hate! The cover is gorgeous, too! And I know it is a Snow White retelling so I'm really curious about how this plays out!

    Btw, love The Black Cauldron gif! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. I def love reading about villains we love to hate! The cover is gorgeous, too! And I know it is a Snow White retelling so I'm really curious about how this plays out!

    Btw, love The Black Cauldron gif! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the second positive review for this book that I've read, and I have to say that I am super intrigued! I love retellings that make the story their own, and The Shadow Queen seems like it does this really well. I mean: kings who shapeshift into dragons!!! That is awesome.

    A really well done romance, and a villain that isn't just a dark cloud on the horizon are things I appreciate, too. I will have to give this one a go :D

    Lovely review, Mel <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay :D Glad you liked this book a lot, Mel. <3 Despite not fully loving it :) But yeah. I loved it a lot. <3 And I'm so glad you liked it so much too. Yay :) Thank you for sharing your lovely thoughts. <3 So happy you liked the romance as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh, I've heard great things about the villian here, almost rivalling Levana! The shapeshifting dragon power sounds really cool and the characters sound really awesome and well fleshed out. I like that the romance takes time to build too. Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed this one too! I was so excited to find out about the dragons, <3 dragons! I also enjoyed the slow building romance! Great review Mel!

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, I'm glad this one sounds really good from your review! I haven't yet read a C.J. Redwine book that I've been able to finish, so I really hope this one is the one I love. And dragons? Awesome!
    This sounds like a really cool fairytale retelling of Snow White :D

    Jordon @ Simply Adrift

    ReplyDelete
  16. WHAT IS THAT QUOTE? I WANT THIS BOOK. LIKE NOW. AAAAAAAAAH.

    I LOVE STRONG HEROINES. THEY'RE THE BEST EVER. EEEEEK.

    SORRY. I'll go off caps lock now. Whoops.

    GREAT review:)

    Aditi @ http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.