Tuesday, January 05, 2016 18:38

Review 249. Leigh Bardugo – Six of crows.

Leigh Bardugo - Six of crows.Title: Six of crows.
Author: Leigh Bardugo.
Pages: 465
Published: September 29th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co.
Sort: Part one of Six of crows.
Review Shadow and Bone.
Review Siege and Storm.
Review Ruin and Rising.

Goodreads
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...
A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.
Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.
Rating:
5+ rating


This book is set in the same world as the Grisha trilogy. This could have turned out as a lazy way to skip all the word-building, but Leigh brings amazing new details to her world and perfectioned it. This book actually makes me want to reread the Grisha trilogy again. I was a big fan of Shadow and Bone, loved Siege and Storm, but was disappointed by Ruin and Rising. She made me fall in love with her world all over again and it was great to find out that Six of Crows is set in The Netherlands! 

This is definitely my favorite work by Leigh so far, because it has everything I was looking for. This is one of those books that I will reread often.

After finishing this book, all I wanted to do was fangirl about it. The basic of the plot is pretty simply, but Leigh managed to craft an amazing, fast-paced and action-packed story around it. A crew of six people need to break into a highly secured building to release a prisoner that holds the information to a product that could change the world they know. Kaz is the leader and is always looking for a way to earn money. He can't refuse this offer, but he needs his crew to pull it off.

This group of people quickly turned into my favorite characters of all time. I have lost my heart to Heartrender Nina and spy Inej. I have fallen in love with all the touches of romances (also between two guys) and how each and everyone of them has their own voice. Leigh has managed to craft a cast of characters that all provide something unique to the story and I was never overwhelmed by all the different voices. She gives everyone their chance to shine and we get to learn their story throughout the book; it really gave them a lot of dimension and character development. Plus, she knows how to write some kick-ass girls. I would love to be as powerful as Nina!

The heist was nerve-wracking and I liked the reason they were sent to break out the prisoner. I was constantly worried about how Kaz was going to do it. This guy is a mastermind and his clever ways blew me away. There is no way I could ever come up with all the tricks he shakes out of his sleeve. All the twists and surprises we get on their way made sure I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Tom Hiddleston: absolutely epic


Who was your favorite character?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! I am so glad you liked it. I cannot wait for the next one!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the book was published like yesterday!

      Delete
  2. I still need to read The Grisha Trilogy Mel (can you imagine?) and I want to do so before I dig into my arc of Six of Crows! Everyone keeps saying how this one goes above and beyond the original trilogy, especially in terms of world-building and that just pleases me to no end! You know me and my world-building :D Combined with a thrilling heist? I'm SO there! Thanks for the fabulous review my friend and I'm glad you loved this one so much ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micheline, I have the idea you will love this just as much as I did :D

      Delete
  3. Ooh nice! I still need to read this one! Trying to get to asap, but I might force myself to finish a few other series first! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six of Crows is one of my favorite books of last year (and ever), so I'm happy to see you loved it too! The characters are all so amazing, and I'm obsessed with the romances.
    Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently reading Siege and Storm, it is pretty good so far, although I am definitely not very far in! I'm sad however, that you did not enjoy ruin and rising, hopefully I will have some better results with it! After I finish the Grisha Trilogy I am definitely picking up six Of Crows, I have not seen a single negative review for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, a lot of people did love Ruin and rising :)

      Delete
  6. YES HOW GOOD WAS THIS!! I love how it expanded the Grisha world and introduced us to a range of cultures and countries that were only mentioned in the Grisha trilogy. Then there's that plot that had me gasping in shock at the end of every chapter during the heist. And the characters! They're all so fascinating and well developed. I love them all and don't think I can pick a favourite haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I freaking LOVED Six of Crows! I can tell you with confidence that this is my favorite book from Leigh Bardugo, and I just neeeeeeed more of this world and these characters and this story <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how sad that it's only a duology, huh :(?

      Delete
  8. I haven't read the Grisha trilogy yet, so I want to start with that, but I'm excited that you liked this one so much as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read The Grisha trilogy or Six of Crows, but I definitely need to start one or the other soon! The hype is getting to me!

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely planning to make Six of Crows the first book I read by Leigh Bardugo! I've heard such great things about it and I'm excited you loved it so much. The characters seem awesome and I'm always up for a great heist story :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to heard this, because I was let down by Ruin and Rising too! But to see that this is a very different take from that makes it much higher on my TBR list, I hope that I enjoy this one as much as you did.

    Deyse @ Bound With Words

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes yes yes :D I'm so glad that you loved this book a lot Mel. <3 Such a stunning review. I also loved this book like crazy :) Thrilled that you weren't disappointed with it. I hope you will end up loving the sequel just as much. <3 Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with you 110% Mel. The characters here were absolutely amazing and they were all so complex and well-developed. And the romance was just absolutely perfect too! Can't wait for Crooked Kingdom now. xD Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVED IT SO MUCH TOO I CAN BASICALLY ONLY SQUEE. AFJDKLASFDJ
    And plus it's one of those books I was a bit skeptical while reviewing but the more I think about it...the more I love it. I want the sequel!! ASAP!!! *flails for 90000 years* And I think Kaz is my favourite. But closely followed by Inej and Nina. <3 I love Nina's comments about cake...they definitely spoke to me, omg.
    OH OH and I was the same with Ruin and Rising. I think because my ship sunk?! D: But also I just didn't think it was as fantastic as book 2. STILL. I love Bardugo's writing so so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, those cake-related comments definitely reminded me of you.

      Delete
  15. I just posted my review of this one and totally loved it just like you! The characters were amazing! I think what made them so great was that they each had their strengths and vulnerabilities and you see both sides and how they overcome those vulnerabilities or fight against them because others are counting on them. I loved how the romance is very light, but also deep at the same time (if that makes sense) and doesn't take over the story in any way. I felt like fangirling too. Still do. I'm dying for book two!!!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! The romance is an important part, but the focus is still on the heist.

      Delete
  16. Wow, it's been a while since I saw a book get such high praise from you! :D I have this on my have-to-get-soon list, I haven't seen any bad reviews yet and a lot of bloggers whom I really trust have given it top marks.
    I like books about thieves a lot, I love reading about heists.
    Thanks for the great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has been so hard to write a review for SoC because GODAMMIT AND ALL THE FEELS!!

    The sequel cannot come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's set in the Netherlands!! So cool. I cannot wait to start this new series because I love Leigh's writing so much. I'm impressed that she still has plenty of world building details to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read this recently as well and I loved it so much! My favourite ship was definitely Nina and Matthias. Was worried I wouldn't love it as much as everyone else but it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've actually picked up Six of Crows a few times, and every time I've ended up getting distracted and reading something else. But, after reading your review you've gotten me so excited for it! I'm definitely going to try to make some time to sit down and spend a full day reading it!

    Amazing review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to truly read it soon :D

      Delete
  21. I still haven't read this book! How can that be possible!? I'm so glad you loved it as much as everyone else! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The heist really was nerve wracking! Glad you enjoyed this one too :) I haven't read the Grisha trilogy, but after reading Six of Crows I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I couldn't agree with you more Mel. I loved everything about this book, especially the characters! I cannot wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0