Friday, December 18, 2015 15:21

Reading and Blogging resolutions 2016.


Every year I like to set myself some challenges. I will talk about my personal resolutions in my Yearly recap post that will go online at the end of 2015, but today I want to share my goals for Reading and Blogging.



Reading.
  1. My GR goal is set on 110 books. I've read 112 books so far and I hope to make it to 115.
  2. I kept track of all the books I bought last year and I made the spread sheet more effective. I also want to keep up with the spreadsheet where I keep track of all my reading information, like books I've read, genres, ratings and ARC's I need to read. I'm using my own sheet and the one created by Crini.
  3. I want to lower my TBR pile. I managed to read a total of 36 of my own books in 2015 and I hope to read at least 30 in 2016.
  4. I requested less books in 2015 and I want to lower that amount even more.
  5. I have my own Mission impossible: finishing series. In 2015 I managed to finish 10 series and I want to keep that up.
  6. I did great with my challenges 2015. I have joined the Rock my TBR, re-read challenge, fantasy challenge and I'm hosting + participating in my own (Fairytale) retelling challenge. I want to stay on top of these!
  7. I want to keep an open mind. I want to try new things. I even want to read books that get negative reviews or no hype at all. 
Blogging.
  1. I want to get back to vlogging. After I've moved into my own place, I will finally have more opportunities to make them.
  2. I want to stay present on Twitter and be less scared to approach people/authors.
  3. I need to put more care into SEO. I need to work on keywords in my images and search descriptions.
  4. I want to use better graphics in my posts. 
  5. I'm going to add a few changes to my reviews and I want to go back to writing them more regularly.
  6. I need to keep up with discussion posts, so I want to make a long list with ideas and work with that.
  7. Making a success out of my second year with the fairytale retelling challenge!
  8. I really want to get better at bookish photography and use them for my blog posts, not only Instagram. (Also, keep up with Instagram)
  9. KEEP HAVING FUN. That is so important.
  10. I will make a blogging schedule. I've never done that before, but with my new job I will be even busier and I want to keep up.
  11. I'm thinking about switching to Wordpress somewhere next year. We will see.
  12. Keep up using Pinterest as social media.
Changes I've already made:
  • I have edited a lot of titles from posts to make it look more minimalistic and sleek. 
  • I've made new graphic headers for Fairytale News, Mel on Reading and the Monthly recap posts. 
  • I have cleaned up my tags.
  • I'm bringing back my talk about movies/TV shows, so I'm working on blog posts.
Do you have any resolutions for 2016?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

29 comments:

  1. My blogging/bookish/fannish goals are not yet live (will post it maybe after Christmas). But like you I’m determined to lower my TBR pile. I feel guilty neglecting them & of course to read more which I think I failed this year. ^^;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your resolutions :) I believe everyone is struggling with their TBR piles, haha.

      Delete
  2. Yay :D I love this. <3 Gorgeous post Mel. I love your reading and blogging goals. They are all amazing. I wish you the best of luck with all of them. <3 You can do it :) Hugs. I hope 2016 will be the most awesome for you :D And so so so excited about your move. Hope it will be the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carina! :) I also hope 2016 will be fantastic for you.

      Delete
  3. I really like your goals! I really need to keep track of challenges and try new books. Trying new books and not just YA has been something I've done a lot this year! I really need to finish series and lower my TBR. I use google calendar as a schedule for my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look into Google Calender :) I hate yet to find a way that works for me.

      Delete
  4. Yay for 2016 resolutions! I've been pondering my own changes to the blog and to my reading life for the next year, and I've got a post coming up detailing them sort of like how you did it here. One we have in common is the vlogging! I definitely want to get back to filming videos, and my husband is being super supportive about helping me with the set-up and filming ;) Cheers to getting everything crossed off this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Alexa, I always enjoy watching your videos!

      Delete
  5. I love all your goals but I really love the one about keeping an open mind. I have such a hard time with this when it comes to seeing poor ratings and then not reading a book I was excited about. On one hand, yay steer clear of the really bad ones but it's also interesting to see books I read before blogging and to go back and see some of their ratings or books I read early and there weren't really ratings for...,some of them have ratings I would side eye now but I really loved them!! It's hard to decide when to judge by a rating or reviews to miss out on ones you would have hated or to keep an open mind and potentially find a book that really works for you. I used to not look at ratings on GR as much but now I feel like I'm sooo dependent on them before I consider a book. I have been trying to work on it this year but maybe I need to make it actual goal when I make my resolutions post for Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crap I was signed into the wrong google account on my phone! It's Jamie @brokeandbookish / the perpetual page turner

      Delete
    2. I thought so ;)

      I have a feeling I have been saved from reading some bad books, but sometimes I also want to experience it myself. I've had a few times where I even ended up really liking the book, against all expectations because of the bad reviews. Sometimes it's good to stick to a book if you truly believe it is something for you :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome resolutions! Best of luck with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, this has reminded me I need to write up new resolutions for next year. And you have some seriously great ones here! I, personally, have a lot of trouble talking to people (in general, really) but on Twitter, too. Even though I'm much more extroverted online than I am in real life, it's still quite hard for me. Thoughts like, What if I say the wrong thing? What if they hate me? and so on generally stop me. But hey, new year, new resolutions! Best of luck, Mel, I've really enjoyed your blog this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have the same, especially when it comes to talking to outspoken bloggers on Twitter. I'm always afraid I say something stupid.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful goals! I absolutely love the beginning of a new year because it's so motivating. Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! I love this post^^ Excellent bookish/blogging goals Mel! I admire your organization to be sure and I wish you all the luck in accomplishing all of these! I hope that 2016 will continue to be good to you and to your wonderful blog here ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great goals! Since you love fairy tale retellings, I wondered if you'd read the Once Upon series by Dennis L. McKiernan. I've read the first two and they were quite good and a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't (yet). Thanks for the recommendation and I might check them out in the new year :D

      Delete
  11. These are some amazing goals. I wish I was half as ambitious as you are. I think in general my only bookish goals right now are to read + review more. I also want to save up money and start collecting physical copies of some of my favorites (I'm mostly an ebook buyer). Lovely post! I wish you luck and happiness in 2016 ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing wrong with that! Even if you wouldn't have any bookish goal, that is perfectly fine too :)

      Delete
  12. You have some great blogging goals for 2016, girl. A few of them are ones I aspire to myself! I would definitely like to start vlogging again, editing the videos just takes so much time! Yegh.

    My book goal for 2016 is 100 books again. Didn't quite make it this year, but you're a great inspiration! I'm sure that 2016 is our goal making year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are some really fantastic blogging and bookish goals Mel! You've got me thinking about mine for the new year, hopefully I'll be able to achieve some of them and most of all, keep the fun! Bookish photos are so much fun, I've started incorporating them into my posts as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound like FABULOUS goals, Mel!! And I'll look forward to seeing some vlogs. ;) I'm WAY too nervous to vlog, hehe, so good on you for that!! I want to try and keep up reading older books next year. I read a TON of older books this year and loved them to bits! And I find it's really easy to get stuck in this trap of only reading what's new?! :P But then...I kinda want to read ALL THE BOOKS OF EVER so I do have my work cut out for me. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an awkward vlog turtle, but who knows, with some practice :D

      Delete
  15. I'm still putting together my list of resolutions and challenges for 2016 but finishing series will be high on the list.
    And yes, "keep having fun" is probably the most important one! Sometimes the pressure of putting out content is really high and I feel like it's a chore but then I remember why I'm doing this.
    Merry Christmas and good luck with your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We need to remember we are doing this as a hobby.

      Delete
  16. Good luck on your goals! :D I'm sure you can do it ^-^ Having fun is indeed the most important thing about blogging! I'm looking forward to your vlogs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a bunch of goals, but after reading a bunch of other people's, I have a lot more that I want to do! I think I'll also be making a post about it. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can't wait to see all the things you want to achieve :D

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0