Sunday, December 27, 2015 12:51

Monthly recap December ‘15 | A new house!

Monthly-recap_thumb6This post recaps my month: my personal life, all the books I’ve read & bought, movies and TV shows I’ve seen and links to posts that interest me. OUAT_thumb3December is not over yet, but I won't have much time to post this recap at the end of his month, so here you go. There is one more post left for 2015 (yearly recap) and then we will be in the New Year. Isn't that crazy?

I signed my one year contract at the hospital. I’m finally starting to realize that this is really happening. It’s all so exciting. It feels like it has taken far too long to find something that suits me, so I can’t wait to get started in January.

That being said, we immediately started house hunting and within 2 weeks we found a house! I seriously can’t believe it. It all went so fast and easy. This is a new step in our life and it’s an amazing feeling. We get the keys next Tuesday, so we are incredibly busy with taking care of buying all the things. After signing the contract we went ice skating with a friend and I was reminded that I'm really bad at it. I didn't fall (almost crashed into a guy at the side-line though), so that's a win.

We celebrated Sinterklaas, where I got some nice presents (two of them were books).

Christmas treeUgly Christmas sweater
Christmas tree @ my parents and my 'Ugly Christmas sweater'

Then Christmas! My favorite Holiday of the year.
The first day we went to my parents house, with my sister and her boyfriend. We played board games, exchanged gifts (so many! I love all of them) and ate way too many food.
The second day was at my boyfriend's mother, with his sister, brother + girlfriend and grandmother. We made the entree course and went with mushroom soup based on home-made chicken stock. It was delicious! There was a lot of talking and lots of other good food.
'Third Christmas day' is something we unofficially started a few years ago. Today we are getting together with both grandparents and my sister's mother in law at my parents house to celebrate all the good things that happened this year.

New Year's eve will be spent at my parents house with a few friends. Nothing too special, just being around loved ones and eating good food.
Read_thumb5
The Daily Prophecy
This is a feature, started by Quartz Feather and co-hosted by The Daily Prophecy, where you divide the books you’ve read during the month in To read {recommended} and Not to read {not recommended}. Additionally, you can talk about the books you’re planning to read next month. You can link-up in the Linky down below.

Read in December:
1. L.M Montgomery – Anne of Green Gables. Recommended. I love Anne’s voice!
2. Marissa Meyer – Winter. Recommended. A bittersweet feeling, because I don’t want to let go.
3. Andy Weir – The Martian. Not recommended. I thought it was boring.
4. Jamie Cassidy – Hawthorne. Not recommended. I felt disconnected from the story.
5. Licia Troisi – Nihal of the land of the wind. Not recommended. Annoying MC. Cliché story.
6. Kathy MacMillan – Sword and verse. Not recommended. Cliche. Boring. Flat characters.
7. David D. Hammons – Alice takes back wonderland. Not recommended. It was too much.

Hawthorne, Jamie CassidySword and Verse, Kathy MacMillan

Planning to read in January
:
I have chosen Jay Kristoff & Amy Kaufman – Illuminae as my first book of 2016, so that's going to happen.
I also want to read my review copies for February, so I will be busy with Sophie Jordan – Reign of shadows, Sarah Ahiers – Assassin's heart and C.J Redwine – The shadow queen, three highly anticipated books.
Illuminae, Kristoff and Kaufman
Watched_thumb5Movies.
We started our long overdue re-watch of Harry Potter and finished the first two movies. I forgot how cute and tiny they all are! We also watched Ted 2 and were both really disappointed. The first movie was not bad, but this was just terrible.

TV shows.
Finale of Expedition Robinson and my favorite didn't win. Shame! I continued to watch Big Bang Theory and it has become better. White Collar is still great to watch. Reign keeps being awful, but really addictive at the same time.
bookhaul_thumb2Sinterklaas
-J.M Barrie - Peter Pan.
-Joseph Jacobs - English fairytales.

Peter Pan, JM Barrie763482 

I might have gone a little overboard when I saw the galley drop of Harper on Edelweiss. It's always like Christmas has arrived early, but I decided to go with:
21421609220650672290983825796019
For Christmas I got lots of awesome presents. I got one book and that was the amazing box set from Brandon Sanderson –Mistborn. I can't wait to finally pick up this series! I was also lucky to get Christmas cards from some of my close blogging friends and Ciara even gave me a card written by one of my favorite authors (Juliet Marillier)
12199809Card Marillier
dingamebobs_thumb2_thumb4You can always find tons of links to interesting posts on Christina reads YA and I thought it would be fun to highlight some articles and news that interest me. It is divided in Whozits (random stuff with gadgets and gismos for YT and scientific articles) and Whatzits (bookish).

Whozits. Some scary news about a bacteria that is now resistant against our last-resort antibiotic. There are bacteria found that carry the gene that makes them resistant to polymyxins (found in Colistin). The most problematic part is that the resistance is a mcr-1 gene on a plasmid, mobile DNA, so it can easily be passed down to other bacteria. This means that gram-negative bacteria that cause common gut, urinary and blood infections are now becoming untreatable – unless they find a new antibiotic.

Whatzits.
The cover from The crimson skew, third book in the Mapmakers trilogy, was released and I love it.
The Winner’s trilogy by Marie Rutkoski got a redesign, but they have changed it. The paperback will get the new covers, the hardbacks will keep the old design. Best decision if you ask me.girl-in-dress-not-badass.._thumb2

Holly Moss designed these covers for the Harry Potter e-books and they are gorgeous! This is how you do redesigns.
Trailer for Fantastic Beasts!

How was your December? How did you celebrate Christmas and what are your plans for New Year's eve?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

31 comments:

  1. What a big month for you! Congratulations on your new job AND new house :) And it sounds like you had a really fun Christmas/Sinterklaas! Spending time with family is definitely what makes it fun....but bookish gifts always help ;) And it looks like you got lots of amazing books! It's really unfortunate about Sword and Verse. I've really been looking forward to that one, but I've actually only heard bad things about it. Congrats on all your big news and good luck with it all!

    All the best,
    Mackenzie @ Oh, For the Love of Books!

    *P.S. The news about the antibiotic resistant bacteria is so unfortunate and scary. Hopefully they find something soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending time with family is so important to me. Sword and verse was such a disappointment :(

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new job and new house!

    That Peter Pan edition is so gorgeous! I have the Alice in Wonderland edition but I think I want to buy them all! My husband and I started watching the Harry Potter movies the last couple of weeks, for the first time EVER and we are both LOVING them! Right now we are on Deathly Hallows part 1, so we're almost done! I'm definitely going to have to pick up the books soon. I wish I would've read them first :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those editions are the best! Ahhh, that is great :D And don't you worry, the books have so much details you'll love them anyway!

      Delete
  3. Wow! BIG CONGRATS on signing a one year contract AND finding a house :D That's fantastic and really, it was meant to be if it happened so easily for you both ♥ You Christmas/Sinterklaas and 3rd day of Christmas all sound wonderful!! I LOVE your 'Ugly' Christmas Sweater - Hogwarts+Home Alone= ♥♥♥ I can't wait to hear all about how you make out with Illuminae! I want to read it asap too but it won't be my first read of 2016...one of the first though! Your chalk edition of Peter Pan is GORGEOUS. YAY for HP rewatches, me and the bf rewatched them for Halloween and it was perfection :) Enjoy ALL your books xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also feels like everything is falling together now <3

      Delete
  4. A busy December. Congrats on the new house and signing your contract.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finding a house and signing your contract at the hospital! That's amazing :D I love your 'Ugly Christmas sweater' haha. I stopped watching Reign a while ago, because I was just too disappointed with the plot and where it was heading :( It's a shame because I really loved the first season and the cast. You got a lot of amazing books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it sure is a terrible show, but I can't stop watching.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the new house, Mel and for signing the contract with the hospital! Ooh I LOVE that sweater, I hope you had a lovely holiday. The Big Bang Theory is so funny, and yeah Reign just keeps getting worse and worse :0 A Study in Charlotte was AMAZING, and I hope you love it too!! I snagged most of those eARCs too, I just couldn't help it. :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read A study in Charlotte :D

      Delete
  7. Illuminae is so good! I just finished it a few nights ago, and oh my gosh- it's definitely an intense read.

    Congrats on the new house! I'm so excited for some of those Harper titles (especially My Lady Jane and Traitor Angels) It's so awesome that Macmillan changed back The Winner's Kiss hardback cover so that it'd match the rest of the trilogy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the new job and home!!
    So glad to see you had a merry Christmas! I love your sweater!!!
    Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the house, that is SO exciting! And a new job too!! Sounds like 2016 will be a wonderful year for you :) I love Christmas too, we just got back from spending Christmas with my in-laws and it was really nice. I got zero books if you can believe it haha! Love how you list the books, that's a shame you didn't enjoy many of them. I have Anne of Green Gables on my list to read! And I'm really looking forward to The Shadow Queen, I hope it's good. Wow, so many amazing arcs that I'm excited for! Can't wait to hear your thoughts. The only one i've read is The Mirror King and I LOVED it. December was stressful, my office moved so I have a much longer commute now and I haven't been reading much. But I got to visit Disneyland and family, and I'm excited for the new year :) It will be a good one I think. Happy January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, looks like 2016 is THE year where everything is coming together :) Ohh, that's good to hear about The mirror king!

      Delete
  10. CONGRATS on the 1 year contract and the new house Mel - I'm so glad you've found one so quickly! You've got an exciting start to the new year already. Super scary about that antibiotics strain actually! The Harper Collins drop both physical and electronic looks sooo good! Super exciting that you got the Brandon Sanderson series! Lovely recap Mel, have a great January!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the new house, that is amazing!! Finding a perfect house is so difficult, I'm glad you could so quickly! Good luck moving in, honestly that can be the hardest part xD I'm super excited to see all your upcoming reviews, as all of those books sound spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are right, all the boxes everywhere is a little overwhelming now :p

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on signing your contract at the hospital AND on finding a house! Such exciting news <3 I'm sad to see that you didn't enjoy Sword and Verse; I have that one coming up on my TBR and I'm curious to see how I'm going to feel about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gooorgeous post Mel :D Thank you for sharing about so much that you did in December. <3 Hugs. I'm so glad you are having an aaaamazing Christmas :D YAY. And so happy about you having a job :) And a house! YAAAAY. Congrats sweetie :D That is such amazing news. <3

    Yay for reading lots of pretty books :D So sorry many of them were bad, though :\ That's not good. Sigh. But still so happy that you loved Winter :) Yay. <3 And ahh, yay for getting so many new books :D As you know, I got six of those eARCs, lol. I LOVED This Savage Song :D And My Lady Jane :D I hope you will read them all soon too. <3 YAY for reading Illuminae shortly :D I so hope you will love it. Ahh. Fingers crossed :D

    Happy reading sweetie. <3 And hope you will have it amazing with the remaining days of the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anne of Green Gables is one of my very favorite books. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    I also really like the Mistborn trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOH what is this sinterklaas? Okay I just looked it up and that's awesome. ALSO, go you, finding a house so soon! I'm looking to move out with friends in a year or so and that's pretty daunting O_O

    Also, one of these days I definitely need to get Edelwiess/Netgalley. Those eARCs just look too good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY! Congrats on the house and the job - that's wonderful! It sounds like you had an amazing December and I wish you the very best for 2016!

    Also, all your new books look AMAZING! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel,congrats on the new house and job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sad to hear that the Sword and The verse was a let down. But.... CONGRATS on the new HOUSE!!!! SO EXCITING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely LOVE your Christmas tree! And your ugly Christmas sweater is way more cute than ugly, haha XD

    I'm so glad you found your job and your house! It seems like everything is falling into place for you, and I'm so happy <3

    I really want to read Anne of Green Gables this year! I read The Secret Garden in the last year of 2015, and I really loved it. So I want to read more of the classic children's stories.

    I'm so happy your card arrived safe and sound! It's so cool to think it is all the way over with you. That card has travelled a lot more than I have, haha XD

    I hope your 2016 is absolutely magical, Mel <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, the sweater is so awesome I wish I could wear it throughout the year, hehe.

      Delete
  20. The first thing I screamed when I saw this post was "OH MY GOD I HAD THAT CHRISTMAS JUMPER TOO!" It's actually the best Christmas jumper ever. Home Alone AND Harry Potter! Also, congratulations on getting a job and finding a house! I moved out at the end of October and it's so stressful to begin with. But I hope you're settling in well! :D

    White Collar is one of my favourite shows! I just need to get a hold of the final season. I started watching Reign but then stopped because it was blatantly obvious something was going to happen to one of the characters I really liked, and I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it since.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the new house, and an even bigger congrats on your contract! I really hope this means that 2016 is your year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0