Annual end of the year survey | 2015.

2015-end-of-year-book-survey-1024x984-900x865
Hosted by: Jamie from The perpetual page-turner. I did this survey in 2014 as well.

reading-stats-2015-1024x278
Number Of Books You Read: I’m typing this December 18th and I’ve read a total of 113. Not as much as last year (152), but still pretty amazing. I hope to make it to at least 115 books.
Number of Re-Reads: I particpated in the re-read challenge, so I know that I’ve re-read a total of 11 books.
Genre You Read The Most From: I need to update my spreadsheet, but I think the result will be the same: Fantasy, with 1 book difference with Fairytales & retellings. (Surprise *cough*)


best-YA-books-2014
1. Best Book You Read In 2015? I will talk about these books in my Yearly recap, that will be posted at the end of this month and I have made a top 20 favorite books published in 2015. If I have to pick my ultimate best books, divided into different categories:

YA fantasy: Leigh Bardugo – Six of crows.
Adult fantasy: Victoria Schwab – A darker shade of magic.
Fairytale retelling: Renee Ahdieh – The wrath and the dawn.
Historical fiction: Sharon Biggs Waller – A mad, wicked folly.
Thriller: Abigail Haas – Dangerous boys.
Sci-fi: R.C Lewis – Stitching snow.
Contemporary: Kasie West – The fill-in boyfriend.
Paranormal: Libba Bray – Lair of dreams.
Middle grade: S.E Grove – The glass sentence.
Best stand-alone that should be a series: Naomi Novik – Uprooted.
Best book with creepy cover: Mindy McGinnis – A madness so discreet.
Best overall series: Marissa Meyer – Lunar Chronicles.
Best start of new series: Sarah J. Maas – Court of thorns and roses.
Best sequel: Samantha Shannon – The mime order.
Best new book by an author I know: Rae Carson – Walk on earth a stranger.
Best book by a new-to-me-author: Jodi Meadows – The orphan queen.

Cheater? Who? Me?

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Andy Weir – The Martians. To be honest, without all the shouting, raving reviews and glowing talk I would have never picked up this book. When I did, I truly expected to love it like everyone else, but instead I was bored.. I didn’t understand all the ‘emotional’ things people talked about, because this book felt like a dictonary or manual on how to survive on Mars. True, it is a well-researched story, but it was not what I was looking for. Also, Patrick Rothfuss – The name of the wind. I love everything fantasy and I’ve heard nothing but good things. Again, bored out of my mind.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?   In a good way: Morgan Matson – Since you’ve been gone. Contemporary is not my genre, but I really enjoyed this book. The friendship between the two girls was fantastic and I loved her dynamic with her love-interest.
In a bad way: Betsy Cornwell – Mechanica. The cover is absolutely stunning, definitely one of my favorites. I’ve heard negative things, but I still wanted to give it a shot and it was just horrible.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? My love for Robin LaFevers – His fair assassin knows no bounderies and my book club finally read Grave Mercy! I will also keep pushing Juliet Marillier on everyone and I finally got my friend Christina reads YA to pick up her series (Daughter of the forest). Score!


5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015? I have talked about this in my top 20 favorite books and I think I have answered this a little in the first question, but to bring it down to one book per question.
Best series starter: Leigh Bardugo – Six of crows.
Best sequel: Samantha Shannon – The mime order.
Best series ender: Marissa Meyer – Winter.


6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015? I’m happy I finally read a book by Naomi Novik and Jodi Meadows.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? That is contemporary and I love everything Kasie West writes. The fill-in boyfriend was great.


8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? That honor will go to Leigh Bardugo – Six of crows. This book has possible everything you can ask for. Amazing cover, a map, an interesting crew with cute moments, magic and an exciting mission that gives it a fast-paced plot.


9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? I will definitely pick up Renee Ahdieh – The wrath and the dawn and V.E Schwab – A darker shade of magic again before I read the sequel.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015? There are a few covers that I really adore, but I think Betsy Cornwell – Mechanica and Juliet Marillier – Dreamer’s pool.

11. Most memorable character of 2015? I think Vicky from Sharon Biggs Waller – A mad, wicked folly. I love how she stood up for her passion and how she didn’t give a crap what other people thought about her. She fights for her future and passion; that is something I admire in a person.


12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015? I was really impressed with John Connolly – The book of lost things. He has a poetic way of writing and how he brings details to the story.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015? I think Patrick Ness – The rest of us just live here and the way he deals with mental issues.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?  Victoria Schwab – The Archived. I’m a big fan of Schwab, so I don’t know why it took me so long.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015? This passage really spoke to me:
“I think the act of reading imbues the reader with a sensitivity toward the outside world that people who don't read can sometimes lack. I know it seems like a contradiction in terms; after all reading is such a solitary, internalizing act that it appears to represent a disengagement from day-to-day life. But reading, and particularly the reading of fiction, encourages us to view the world in new and challenging ways...It allows us to inhabit the consciousness of another which is a precursor to empathy, and empathy is, for me, one of the marks of a decent human being.”

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015? According to ‘My year in books’ on Goodreads.
Shortest: novella Warm up by Victoria Schwab.
Longest: Winter by Marissa Meyer.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most. I wasn’t really shocked by any books, but Sarah J. Maas – Queen of shadows does a great job in twisting and turning. If you think you know where the story is heading, something else is thrown on that path and it goes completely the other way.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) All the combinations that Leigh Bardugo wrote in Six of crows. EVERYBODY KISS ALREADY.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year. I have a weakness for Iko and Cinder from Marissa Meyer – Lunar Chronicles.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously. I loved Rae Carson – Walk on earth a stranger, Mindy McGinnis – A madness so discreet, Sarah J. Maas – A court of thorns and roses, Leigh Bardugo – Six of crows and Cat Winters – The uninvited.

21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: I’m going with a book club pick, L.G Montgomery – Anne of Green Gables. I’ve seen the movie a lot when I was younger, but I wasn’t really excited to pick up the book and I really ended up loving it.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015? Wesley from Victoria Schwab – The archived. He reminds me of Captain Hook from OUAT (he wears eye-liner) and he is absolutely adorable to Mackenzie.

23. Best 2015 debut you read? I’m bad at keeping track of debuts, but R.C Lewis – Stitching snow is a highly underpraised book that I enjoyed.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? I already loved Leigh Bardugo’s world, but it only got better in Six of Crows.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? Kasie West – The fill-in boyfriend, she never fails to make me smile.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015? I felt really sad after finishing Winter by Marissa Meyer, because I’m terrible at letting go of series that have stolen my heart.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? Sarah McGuire – Valiant. There is not much buzz surrounding this book and I thought it was great.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? Renee Ahdieh – The wrath and the dawn, because of that ending. I need more.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015? I think every book has the potential to give something unique, whether it is by a character, a plot, a certain twist or the world-building. I have read many books this year that delivered something new and you can find almost all of these in the answers above.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Besty Cornwell – Mechanica. BECAUSE DAMN YOU PROMISING YET HORRIBLE STORY WITH GORGEOUS COVER.
book-blogging
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015? Genie in a book, Pop goes the reader, Quartz Feather and Read me away.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015? I find it hard to pick a favorite review, because there is always something I would like to see different. I think Stitching Snow is pretty good.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? My bullying story, because I got some amazing comments.
Introduce your novel, because it was great (and scary) to talk about my story.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? Definitely the Love-a-thon, being part of Maas Thirtheen for the second time during the Queen of Shadows tour and being part of Maria Snyder’s study tour! Plus, the book club sleep-over and signing from Leigh Bardugo.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015? I think hitting 1,000 Twitter followers and gaining 900 followers on Bloglovin’. I don’t really care that much about stats, but it is great to see your blog grow. Also, getting Christmas cards from my best blogging buddies <3 Chiara even gave me a card written by Juliet Marillier *freaks out*

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Combining it with my thesis, internship, graduating and first real job. I had to adjust to my new schedule and it took some time to find the right balance.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? The sign-up post for the Fairytale retelling challenge 2015.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? I definitely wish I had gotten more feedback on my November post for the Fairytale challenge, so I could have worked with suggestions for 2016.

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? I explored Etsy more and I ordered my Disney princesses magnetic bookmarks. They are adorable.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? You can find all the details about my 2015 challenges on my page, but:
 
-Re-read challenge, done.
-Fairytale challenge, done.
-TBR pile challenge, done.
-Fantasy challenge, done.
-Mission impossible (my personal challenge to finish more series), done.

looking-ahead-books-2015
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016? I have chosen Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amy Kaufman as my first read of 2016.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)? You can find all the books I’m anticipating right over here: voting for Goodreads 2016 YA list.

3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? To name a few:
Sara Saedi – Never Ever.
Brie Sprangler – Beast.
S. Jae-Jones – Wintersong.
Kathryn Purdie – Burning glass.
Nicole Castroman – Blackhearts.
Alwyn Hamilton – Rebel of the sands.
Evelyn Sky – The crown’s game.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016? Definitely A court of mist and Fury and Throne of glass 5.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016? Perhaps gain more attention for the (Fairytale) Retelling challenge?

6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: Heidi Heilig – The girl from everywhere.

Let's fangirl together! Tell me some of your favorite books you read in 2015.

31 comments

  1. Great to see so much love for V.E. Schwab and Marissa Meyer! Love those two authors and ADSOM and Winter are definitely on my top 15 list! Can't wait to see what you think of Illuminae. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Matson's Since You've Been Gone too, and didn't expect too. I could see why a lot of people had problems with it,, but it was so sweet and the romance was adorable. I'm dying to read The Girl from Everywhere and Blackhearts sounds really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since You've Been Gone really ended up surprising me as well. It's not really my genre, but I loved it! You're such a cheater (so am I haha) naming ALL those titles. It's just unrealistic trying to name JUST one.
    I still haven't read any of V.E. Schwab's books, which I'm sad about. They're high up on my TBR but December has been hell on my bank account, so it'll have to wait (as well as Winter, which I am DYING to read, but I just don't have the money right now).
    Even worse: I haven't read Queen of Shadows or Six of Crows yet. They're in my bag for my skiing trip next week though, and I'll most definitely finish those during that week (must!).
    I'm REALLY anticipating the Crown's Game as well as Rebel of the Sands! 2016 is going to be an awesome reading year (like every other year, haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think every reader cheats with this list at least once :p

      Delete
  4. Wow, you read a LOT of books this year, I wish I could read as much as you! :) I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The fill-in boyfriend, I recently put it on my TBR, and I'm even more impatient to read it now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember that it's not about how many you read, but about how much you enjoy the ones you read :D

      Delete
  5. I really like the way you rounded up all your favorites into one concise list for question number one. I should go back and do something similar on mine. But I won't. This list look me hours to create and I'm ready to move on.

    Here is my End of the Year Survey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on reading that many books Mel^^ even if it is less than you read last year! I wish I had time to read that many anyway ;) We share quite a few favorites this year: ADSOM, The Wrath & The Dawn, Uprooted and ACOTAR! You were actually one of the ones that encouraged me to read Grave Mercy this year, and I'd added Juliet Marillier to my wishlist/tbr shelf based on yours (and other blogger friend's) recommendations :) I agree with your feelings on The Archived, which I read for the first time this year too! I'm also indescribably happy that you read and loved Anne of Green Gables, a childhood favorite of mine ♥ Oh and we'll both be reading Illuminae in 2016 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you read so many books!! I actually didn't count how many books I read *facepalm* I'm going to do it in 2016 for sure though! Also I loved the way this post was written! Everything was so put together, if I did this it would probably be 254855 pages long because I would keep getting side tracked, since talking about books is my favourite thing to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It is fun to keep track of it :D

      Delete
  8. Holy Bejeebs, girl! You totally rocked your reading goal! I applaud you! I really need to read "The Wrath and the Dawn". I've been hearing lots of positive feedback about it. It's been on my radar since it released but not anywhere near the top of my list. I guess now I'll need to go out and grab it!

    I'm sorry you didn't like Mechanica! I think that my own rating will go down considerably if it ends up being a Stand-Alone book. There was too much left undecided and unexplored for it to be a Stand-Alone. The author says she's keeping things open ended, but as of now is not writing a second in the series. It's a bummer! If I knew there was another book to follow that was going to go into detail and depth about Faerie and then rexplore the characters and their relationships then my 4 stars would be worth it! Otherwise it feels too "unfinished".

    I just now discovered your Bullying post through your stats. *squeeze* Hun! I have so much empathy for you. We have very similar experiences in this regard. I'm so glad you could jump back from it! You're super awesome and I kind of stalk your blog for that very reason!

    I didn't participate as much in the Fairytale challenge this year as I wanted, but I make plans to really be a part in 2016. Can't wait!

    Great year! I hope your 2016 is amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, pick it up Auggie :)! It is weird to see how many awesome bloggers have struggled with the same bullying experience. You guys are all so amazing :)

      Delete
  9. Yay for an awesome 2015! I'm so glad that you finally got to read your first Jodi Meadows book, and I hope you love The Mirror King when you get the chance to read it next year <3 Also, I have more Marillier reading ahead of me, so we're totally going to be chatting it up about that, and Love-a-Thon (EEP, SO EXCITED!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Can't wait for the Love-a-thon :D!

      Delete
  10. MEL YOU ARE SUCH A CHEATER :P But that is such a smart way of getting around that LOOL. I haven't read a lot of 2015 releases so this post is making me want to just drop everything and fix that stat - The Wrath and the Dawn is high on my list!!

    Great post, hun <33

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww you had such a fantastic reading year Mel! I lol'd at your favourites in each category, it is way too hard to pick one favourite book! I actually felt like The Martian movie delivered the emotional impact a lot better in that respect, even though I enjoyed the movie. I'm excited that Illuminae is your first read of 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to see how the movie works out for me.

      Delete
  12. Mechanica was so infuriating! I love fairy tale retellings and that one looked so promising but just fell flat on every single thing it tried to do. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, this post is all kinds of amazing Mel :D Thank you so much for writing and sharing. <3 You are amazing. Love love love reading about everything that you have read and such. So fun :D I loved many of these books too. <3 Hugs. I hope 2016 will be aaamazing for you sweetie. And that you will read lots of awesome books :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This list is full of awesomesauce! Because first of all, the amount of times Six of Crows got mentioned made me very, very happy. :D YOU MUST READ ILLUMINAE, OMG. Can't wait to hear what you think of it in 2016!
    Here's for another year of great books and great blogging!

    - Aila @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had to stop myself from using 'Six of crows' on almost every answer.

      Delete
  15. LOL "favourite book of the year," what a cheater ;) Im' already so excited for 2016 too - ACOMAF is going to be amaaaaaaazing (well, hopefully). And I totally need to read The ARchived - I LOVED A Darker Shade of Magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, that is a lot of books read this year! Well done! :D I also really enjoyed ADSOM and ACOTAR this year, and I am glad you read The Archived, too. It looks like it has been quite a year for you, so here's hoping 2016 is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Argh I'm planning on reading most of the books you mentioned but urgh my TBR pile is like really really tall

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed reading your answers to the survey! I haven't read most of the books you listed but I am hoping to read something by V.E. Schwab in the new year (I have Vicious on my TBR queue and hope to pick up A Darker Shade of Magic). Yay for Anne of Green Gables, strangely enough I only got around to reading it last year but greatly enjoyed that book.

    Congrats on hitting 1000 Twitter followers and 900 Bloglovin followers! That's awesome :) Wishing you all the best in 2016 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, *pushes all the Schwab books towards you*

      Delete
  19. So much goodness within your list. Gahh! You've read so much, I'm envious. I only made it to 50 books this year, but I'm shooting for 100 in 2016 (hah, we'll see how that goes). I can't wait to see what your 2016 brings, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad to see A Darker Shade of Magic on your list! It's one that I've been meaning to pick up especially because I've heard such great things about it. I really want to get around to reading Vicious too. I definitely need to read the Lunar Chronicles series. I read Cinder back when it came out but never continued on!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad to see the Six of Crows love! It's easily one of my favorite books of the year. I needed the sequel yesterday. >.<
    While reading through I was waiting to see if you had read Illuminae yet... I'll think you'll really like!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.