Friday, October 02, 2015 11:49

October retelling link-up | True stories.

Unless-you-are-Snow-White_thumb2_thu[2]
At the end of this post you can put links to your challenge page/post and every review you post on your blog. Please make this easy to navigate by putting it like this:

UPDATE  @ your name/blog name.
REVIEW – book title @ your name/blog name.

Don't forget to tweet with the hashtag #fairytaleRC

October, the month of Halloween. I was inspired by this holiday because of the scary stories. Our beloved fairytales are not always as pleasant as they are nowadays. Today I am going to talk about the real meaning and true endings of some of our popular fairytales.

Cinderella (Charles Perrault in 1697 as Cendrillon, later Brothers Grimm as Aschenputtel. Source: Wikipedia and Swide. )
In the oldest version of the story, Cinderella kills her first stepmother. The original story was by Giambattista Basile, who collected stories. La Gatta cenerentola (The Cinderella cat) was the title of the story Charles Perrault used to make his Cinderella story. In Basile’s tale, Zezolla is persuaded to kill her stepmother by breaking her neck by slamming a chest on her head. Her father then marries someone even worse. In the darker version of Perrault, in comparison with Disney, the stepsisters are taught a lesson for their ugly behaviour. First they  cut off parts of their feet toe make the shoe fit and on Cinderella’s wedding their eyes are plucked out by doves.

Sleeping beauty (La Belle au bois dormant/The beauty in the sleeping wood by Charles Perrault or Little briar rose/Dornröschen by Brothers Grimm. Source: Wikipedia, Pitt.edu and Swide.)
Charles Perrault used another version of Giambattista Basile, this time Sun, Moon and Talia.  Talia’s
father asked wise men and astrologers to predict her future and they find out she will be in danger from a splinter of flax. She falls into a long, deep sleep and her father abandoned the house to forget his misery, thinking his daughter died. One day, a king finds the house, finds her unconscious body and he rapes her. Talia gives birth to twins and one of them sucks the flax out of her fingers. She wakes up and gets a visit from the King. He promises he will return to take her to his kingdom, where he has a wife waiting for him. The wife is first trying to cook the twins, so she can feed them to the King, and next up she tries to burn Talia alive. The king finds out and burns his wife instead. He marries Talia and they life happily ever after.

Snow White (Brother’s Grimm – Schneewittchen. Aarne-Thompson has grouped together other tales like Snow White, such as Bella Venezia, Myrsina, Nourie Hadig, Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree, The young slave and La petit Toute-Belle. Source: Wikipedia.)
Let’s forget the fact that a Prince takes her unconscious body with him if she is 'dead'. The Evil Queen is punished at the end of the tale: she is made to dance, wearing a pair of red-hot iron shoes, until she falls over dead. Snow White is also not all to bright in this story, because she almost dies three times by the hands of the Queen.


The Little Mermaid (Hans Christian Anderson. Source: Wikipedia and Movieplot.)
Ariel’s (she never got a name in the story though) tongue got cut off and every step would feel like a knife through her legs. In the end she never marries the prince. He marries a princess, but he did told the mermaid she is very dear to him.  She almost kills the princess, but in the end she can't and flings herself in the sea where she turns into foam. BUT, that's not the end of the story.
She obtained a soul by becoming a Daughter of the Air.


What is your favorite 'scary' fairytale? I also think Red Riding Hood is scary if you about the true morals.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

13 comments:

  1. I remember being so repelled when I found out the very old originals of many of these fairy tales. Especially the Sleeping Beauty one, as well as Rapunzel there were some pretty degrading things in that one as well, not scary but just mean about women (at least I think so.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should look more into the one from Rapunzel :)

      Delete
  2. My favorite "scary" fairytale is the Little Mermaid. I have been told the "real" story first actually, when I was in kindergarden. Never understood why you would tell such a story to little kids thogh :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleeping Beauty's my favourite fairytale, so when I first read one of the versions where she's raped, I was completely horrified by it, but probably the best scary fairytale I've read is Angela Carter's version of Little Red Riding Hood which ends with the girl seducing the wolf after he threatens to eat her. I'm not sure why it's the best one I've read, but it definitely left a sort of lasting impression on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an interesting twist to the tale! I have that book on my list, I should bump it up.

      Delete
  4. I need to read some of these old ones...

    ReplyDelete
  5. AGH. Real fairy tale endings are terrifying. o.O I have the evil queen's demise and Snow White the freakiest. BUT OMG POOR ARIEL. :'( Like none of her suffering was even worth it! NONE. Although I still feel like she was an idiot for wanting to be who she wasn't buuuut anyway. XD These are all terrifying. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.. she experiences life with humans and she ended up with a soul, so I guess in the end she sort of got something? Haha.

      Delete
  6. Ik kan me nog herinneren dat ik vroeger een sprookjesboek had van Andersen waarin De Kleine Zeemeermin ook dat 'enge' einde heeft. Daarom was ik later nogal in verwarring toen ik de Disneyfilm zag, dat einde was toch wel een stuk gelukkiger :')

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rapunzel isn't a sweet little fairy tale. It has some horrible things in it. If I had to pick one, it would be The Little Mermaid. I love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is all kinds of stunning Mel. <3 Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs. I doubt I would ever want to read the original books, lol :D I like the Disney versions a lot more. I don't like depressing endings :p But they are pretty awesome sounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I appreciate both ways, but Disney definitely has my preference :)

      Delete
  9. Whoa. Incredibly interesting post, Mel! I'm only familiar with part of the Cinderella story (regarding the stepsisters). I didn't know she killed her first stepmother. O_O I'm also slightly familiar with the Sleeping Beauty story, and mostly the Little Mermaid one, except for the soul part. The Snow White part's TOTALLY new to me, though. Sort of reminds me of the evil "cousin" in Barbie's The 12 Dancing Princes. Heh. Thanks for sharing, lovely! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0