Thursday, October 01, 2015 19:39

Monthly recap | September '15. Food truck festivals.

recap
This post recaps my month, from personal life to books I’ve read & bought, movies and TV shows I’ve seen and links to posts that interest me.
OUAT1
Remember how I said August wasn’t my month and I was hoping September would be better? If you don’t count my week of hell, September was great.

I went to two different food truck festivals with my boyfriend and we tried some delicious, new things. The warm waffle with whipped cream, strawberries and bananas was one of our favorite things. I went to an attraction park with my boyfriend and two of his friends. I’m really not a fan of most attractions, but we had a great time and finished our day by having dinner. Girls night with my sister, where we watched Pitch Perfect 2 and attempted to make three different flavours of ‘cake in a mug.’
DuinrellFoodtruck
I had my graduation party. My school sucks and they made us give a final presentation.. I was so afraid I would look like a fool in front of my family, but they ended up being really proud and I must admit, this might have been one of the best presentations I’ve ever given. It’s a strange feeling to realize it’s now officially over..

Next up in my career, I started a temporary job for at least two months at my first internship, where I did my thesis research. It’s unfortunately not something I enjoy, but it pays and it adds new experiences to my CV. I got a surprise job offer, which I had to decline, and I landed a new job interview! Tomorrow, wish me luck.

I was on my way to my book club, but the trains HATE me and decide to mess up this plan by having another ‘we can’t drive any further’ situation. SUCKS. I still feel cranky when I think about it.
Read1
91. Cammie McGovern - Just my luck. 3.5/5.
92. Sarah J. Maas - Heir of fire (reread) 5+/5.
93. Betsy Cornwell - Mechanica. 1/5.
94. Libba Bray - Lair of dreams. 4.5/5.

Lair of dreamsHOF
Sad state this month.. Let me just blame this on the fact that I started that job and the new schedule took some time to adjust to. I also didn’t feel like reading most of the times. I was busy with other things in my life. I finished at least the magnificent Lair of dreams. Don’t get me started on the disappointment of Mechanica.

egsdsdg
MOVIES:
King’s speech (netflix). I liked it. Colin is a very good actor and I think he nailed it.
Seeking a friend for the end of the world (netflix). Interesting..
Pocahontas (netflix). I was looking for something on the background.
Machine gun preacher (netflix). Mixed feelings. It’s an impressive story, but I loathed the characters.
Carrie (netflix). The newest version. It was okay.
Pitch perfect 2 (netflix). Not as good as the first movie, but the group Das Sound Machine was fantastic!

TV-SHOWS:
Daredevil (netflix). Season 1. It’s not too bad, but I’m also not blown away. There is something about this show that prevents me from completely falling in love with it.
Expedition Robinson Dutch edition started. I love this show!

Book haul

Newest haulQOS and TATBILB

Bought:
-
Sarah J. Maas – Queen of shadows.
-Jenny Han – To all the boys I’ve loved before.
-Ransom Riggs – Library of souls.
-Leigh Bardugo – Six of crows. First time I bought a copy earlier in the store than publication date! In anticipation for the Bardugo tour, because she is coming to The Netherlands. I’m so excited.
-Tote bag by Blossom books.

Edelweiss:
Jodi Meadows – The mirror king. Harper.
Truthwitch excerpt, approved by Tor, thanks!
Juliet Marillier – Tower of thorns. THANK YOU SO MUCH Penguin USA. I was not expecting this.

dingamebobs
This is something new I want to add to my monthly recaps. You can always find tons of links to interesting posts on Christina reads YA and I thought it would be fun to highlight some articles and news that interest me. It is divided in Whozits (random stuff with gadgets and gismos for YT and scientific articles) and Whatzits (bookish).

Whozits.Frankenvirus emerges from Siberia’s frozen wasteland.
Very good article about body image and the fashion industry. ”But no one has the authority to say that one kind of body shape is "real" and a different one isn’t.”

I discovered Hurricane Love and I became obsessed by them. They are freakishly good live and I love how passionate they are. I unfortunately found out that they stopped this year, so that is sad.. At least I have enough songs to listen to. Check out Only Human, Nowhere to go and Paradise.

Whatzits.
Stephanie from These Paper hearts made a beautiful infographic about YA fairytale retellings. Definitely check it out! She also started a Pinboard, I’m part of it, where we and a few others collect book-related posts all around the internet. It’s called Young adult book blogs, take a look.
I am part of the Truthwitch street team (Earthly heirs!) and you should follow the accounts from the other clans too. You can find them in Susan’s tweet.

Throne of glass has been optioned for a TV show!
Harry Potter colour book for adults!
Jungle Book trailer.
Victoria Schwab hints at a sequel to Vicious with this tweet.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

27 comments:

  1. I'm glad September was a better month for you than August! That's really exciting that you've graduated and best of luck for your interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard of Hurricane Love but they sound amazing! Thanks for pointing them out - this is why I love these monthly recap posts, people add all sorts of interesting things! :)

    Good luck with your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen the original Carrie so I don't feel any desire to see the new one.

    I feel you about Mechanica, it had such potential. *lone tear*

    Have a happy October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's really a must-see. Mechanica *cries*

      Delete
  4. Ohh, I need to go read your Mechanica review after this. XD I kind of wanted to read that one, but, omg 1 star?!?! I trust you, so NOPE. :P Good luck on your job interview!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have DNF it when I had the chance :')

      Delete
  5. Totally salivating at that waffle. I haven't one in 5ever. Why do uni always torture us with final presentation? I never fail to stutter, flub lines, and forget what I'm saying. It's terrible. But yay that you kickassed at that final presentation. :D

    I absolutely adore the actress who played the leader of Das Sound Machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is wonderful, especially when I found out I recognized her from Game of thrones!

      Delete
  6. Great wrap up. I love reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on the interview!
    Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for mentioning the fairy tale post and our new Pinterest board :D I'm so excited to see how this board grows! I'm really tempted to buy a final copy of Six of Crows. I have an ARC but the final copy with black edges looks so cool!

    Best of luck on your job interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, that was a great post and I'm loving the board :D

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry you had a week from hell but I'm glad the rest of September was great! Good luck on your interview today! (Although with the time difference it is probably over so in that case - I hope it went well!) I just watched the season premiere of Quantico and loved it - if you get it in the Netherlands you should check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interview went great, only the result was disappointing.. Oh well. Quantico *writes down*

      Delete
  10. Having to do a presentation on your graduation day sounds like absolute torture, but I'm glad that it went really well :) Ahh, I really need to get my butt in gear and start reading the Throne of Glass series if I'm going to catch up to everybody else >.< I hope your job interview went well, and I hope you have a good October :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you don't have to endure the torture of waiting another year for the sequel!

      Delete
  11. Presentation on graduation day?! It sounds like you rocked it though, so good on you! And best of luck on your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been seeing your battles with job hunting for some time, and I really hope that you'll get this one! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, love!
    I am not a huge fan of The King's Speech, but I loved Colin's acting! It was brilliant! I guess he just pulls off that aristocratic look so easily!
    Leigh Bardugo is coming to Netherlands???? That's awesome!!! I hope you have loads of fun! No author ever comes to our part of the globe. It sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. This is the first time (as far as I know) that a YA authors comes to us. I am so excited.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on graduating! I'm sure the presentation was stressful, but you deserved to brag about your accomplishments to everyone :)

    Good luck for your next interview(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooooh cake in a mug. I want to try it so bad but I never actually get to doing it. ONE OF THESE DAYS!
    Also: I'm gonna need that Harry Potter coloring book. Luckily Christmas isn't that far away.

    Love the photos in this blogpost btw!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning recap Mel. <3 Yay for doing so many awesome things in September :D But aw, I'm so sorry about the missed book club :( That is just heartbreaking. Stupid bus. Yay for reading such pretty books. <3 Hope you will have time to read more this month :) Such pretty books gotten too. <3 Yay for The Mirror King :D I loved it lots. Hope you will too. <3 Happy reading Mel :) I hope October will be awesome for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad that your September was (mostly) much better than August ♥ Congrats on making it through your presentation, going to TWO food festivals (OHM NOM NOM) and congrats on starting your new job - even if it is temporary! It'll be great experience for you to be sure :D GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR JOB INTERVIEW too!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get to do some new things, so it's definitely a new experience. THANKS!

      Delete
  17. Oh YESSS I am so glad that you rocked that presentation Mel, and I knew you would anyway! Best of luck for the job interviews, hang in there and you will find something. How amazing your food festivals sound Mel! Have a lovely month ahead <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0