Review 238. Maggie Stiefvater – Blue Lily, Lily Blue.

17378508Title: Blue Lily, Lily Blue.
Author: Maggie Stiefvater.
Pages: 391.
Published: October 21st 2014 by Scholastic Press.
Sort: The raven cycle #3.
Source: I received a copy from the wonderful Ellis.
There is danger in dreaming. But there is even more danger in waking up. Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs. The trick with found things though, is how easily they can be lost.
Friends can betray.
Mothers can disappear.
Visions can mislead.
Certainties can unravel.
Rating:

Maggie shows again that she is a master. It’s not my favorite installment in the series, but she managed to put some twists and turns into the storyline that surprised me and I’m already scared for my feelings in the sequel. There are mild spoilers for The Raven Boys and The dream thieves.

Blue is still searching for her mother, who disappeared after she left a mysterious note. Maura is now part of the game and more players are ready to join. Gansey isn’t the only one looking for Glendower and the dangerous Colin has arrived in town with his wife Paige. The battle is about to begin.

I loved the addition of new characters, especially Jesse and Paige – although she’s not a likeable character. She is meant to be a bitch, but she’s an intelligent and kick-ass one you sometimes have to admire. A complex villain who is going to play a bigger role, if you ask me. Jesse was too adorable for words, but I had to get used to the fact that his lines are written in caps lock. It was hard to imagine a guy screaming all the time.

I will always be a fan of sassy Blue, who keeps proving herself as solid character. She struggles with her feelings for Gansey, while she is trying to stay strong for the rest of her family. It’s great that they are always a part of her life and: DAMNED, WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO PERSEPHONE? She was still my favorite secondary character and I did not see that coming. Select for the spoiler. Adam seemed to get more lonely by the minute and it pained me to see him turning away. There were points where I hoped he would change, but I’m afraid he will keep himself on the side-line. I loved his moments with Ronan though, who is my favorite Raven boy at the moment, and I can see where the ship comes from. They have an unique bond made out of banter and hidden kindness.

This series features one of the most slow and nerve-wrecking romances I’ve ever seen (and I love every minute of it) You keep wondering what is going to happen with them, because in the back of your head you are always aware she might kill Gansey; and you still want them together. I have a terrible feeling we will be broken when we read the final.

tumblr_inline_ndgz3pLl4C1qiarur
The last thing I want to mention is that the plot felt a bit out of control, which is why this is a 4-star book. There was no clear point and with the jumps between POV’s it was sometimes hard to see the destination of the story. At the same time, I was hooked from the moment I began reading. There is something about Maggie’s writing-style that is pure magic. The ending made up for the unfocused plot and has an interesting climax that makes me want to pick up the sequel right away.

17 comments

  1. I still need to read this one - am hoping to this month. Her writing is really good and I loved/hated/invested in these characters from book one. I couldn't help it. Blue is definitely my favorite. I get the wanting her to be with Gansey and nervous/scared at the same time. Fabulous review!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plot wasn't the most solid out of the series but like you said: it's impossible NOT to get swept away by Maggie's writing, the gorgeously slow-burn romance and the Ronan ship. I NEED THAT SHIP TO SAIL even though I know it probably want. I need it like air! I like how you gave props to Blue who often gets overlooked in the sea of Raven Boys. Blue is a stellar heroine and I absolutely adore her ♥ Awesome review Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't picked up the Raven Boys series yet, but this definitely sounds like a good series. The romance definitely sounds like a complicated one, but really love that in books (especially forbidden love and falling in love with the enemy). Lovely review Mel and thanks for visiting my blog! <3

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely an interesting twist on falling in love!

      Delete
  4. This one wasn't my favorite in the series either, that would be The Dream Thieves, but I completely agree with you about Maggie's writing (and pretty much everything else). She remains my favorite YA author in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous review Mel. <3 YAY for mostly loving this book :D I loved it a bit more, hih. But understand why you had some issues :) And just, ugh. Isn't this series just perfection? <3 GANSEY. I also really love Maggie's writing :) So gorgeous. Sigh. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this book sweet girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Mel! I get what you mean by the story feeling like it jumps around a lot, but I always attributed that to the fact that there's a dreamlike quality to the entire series as a whole. Also, I feel like when the last book comes out there'll be a much clearer "plot" because I feel it stretches across the books, and each book is more like a sub-plot. Does that make sense? *grumbles about words*

    Anyway, I hear you on Persephone...I'm still sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has a dreamlike quality to it. I get what you are trying to say and it makes sense! Still hope the the next book has a more straight-lined clear plot. And yes.. forever sad.

      Delete
  7. Your review is so lovely, I loved reading it! I agree about Piper, by the end she really had me feeling like she might be the mastermind behind Colin's plan. It seems like a carefully painted image of herself, if you know what I mean. Very intriguing villain. The slow burn of Blue and Gansey kills me but I'm not sure how to speed it up without being afraid and sad! Ack! I was sooooo surprised and sad about the spoiler you highlighted as well. Really shocked. I love how you describe Ronan and Adam's relationship, banter and hidden kindness :) I also love Blue and Ronan together; they have a unique bond as well. I'm dying for The Raven King at this point. Your Mrs. Kim gif made me laugh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! :) The spoiler really did something to me. I never saw it coming.

      Delete
  8. No might - she's totally going to kill Gansey :) I don't think it's going to work out the way people expect it to, but he's totally going to die.

    And I loved Adam in this book. I felt like he finally started to let down his walls some and it was like almost a relief to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll admit, I didn't realize this series was going to be 4 books long so I thought I was reading the conclusion when I started Blue Lily, Lily Blue and through most of the book I was like "There is NO WAY everything is going to be wrapped up in pages" so I was a little distracted hah but I also love Maggie's writing and these characters and cannot wait to see what happens - I hope we aren't left broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can see how it is confusing when you think you are reading the conclusion.

      Delete
  10. Lovely review, Mel! I am simply dying for The Raven King! I can't wait to see how everything comes together, though I'm also SO nervous for both of my ships! I really hope both can somehow survive. D:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.