Friday, August 21, 2015 18:17

Recap: vacation in Spain.

You might have noticed that it was quiet on my blog. I decided to take a complete hiatus during my 3-week vacation in Spain. It was great to take some time off for the first time in years. I have new energy and ideas for blog posts, so it’s good to be back with new inspiration! If you want to see some other pictures, look at my Instagram Mel_1704

Today I want to show you some pictures from my vacation. We went with a total of 10 people. We rented a huge mansion on top of a hill, with a private swimming pool and the most beautiful view I’ve seen in a long time. It was close to a village 50 minutes from Barcelona. This was my first time in Spain and I’ve completely lost my heart to this country, the weather, the surroundings and the people. I always love to look at the food in different countries. I can’t believe how big the fruits and vegetables are! Also, the water is magical! My hair has never been so soft and shiny. (Random information, very interesting Mel) 

The first day consisted of a road trip with the car for 12 hours. We had a break in a hotel in Clermont-Ferrand (France) Then 7 more hours and we almost immediately jumped into the pool when we arrived. The house was fantastic. We had a big garden and a covered terrace where we hang our hammocks. Every day was around 32 – 40 degrees, but inside the house it was cool. The forest was right behind our house, so we had some pretty walks there. Here are some pictures of the view (I took too many of them, because I couldn’t get enough of it)



DPP_0005DPP_0006DPP_0007
And here the pool closer up and an impression of the house:
DPP_0012DPP_0020

This is pretty much where you could find me (or in the orange hammock in the background):
IMG_0496
The first thing we did was a visit to The Ramlas, which is a huge shopping street in the middle of Barcelona. It’s one long road with stores on two sides and there are tiny streets with cute boutiques and the most gorgeous balconies. I’m in love with the atmosphere there. There are also many street artists, like living statues and artists who make caricatures or real-life portraits.
DPP_0050

We made a trip to an old church that was across our house and it was a nice walk.
IMG_0279IMG_0283

On the way back I could practice with my camera on some pretty butterflies.
IMG_0321IMG_0326IMG_0328IMG_0343

We went carting! Twice! I even got a medaille, haha. It was outdoor carting and we had the course for our own, so that was pretty cool.
IMG_0348
A visit to Sitges, a very gay-friendly historical city in Catalonia. You see all types of males and females openly walking around with their loved ones. It gave me such a happy feeling to know there are places where this is normal – like it should be.

IMG_0379IMG_0366IMG_0380IMG_0390

A fun market in Barcelona, on The Ramlas. So colorful! I tried a couple of smoothies, one of those pink dragonfruits and Papaya. There was also a section with all kinds of animal organs. So many gross things, I can’t believe people want to eat it! In case you wonder, those are bull balls and his.. sausage.
IMG_0400IMG_0403IMG_0412IMG_0409

Then we went to La Sagrada Familia, designed by Dali and forever in progress. It’s such a weird, unique and fascinating building! The inside is so different from what you expect and even the front and back are completely the opposite. The first picture is the front, the last picture is what you see when you enter the building. The back was so detailed, I couldn’t stop looking at it. The inside is hard to get right on pictures, but here are two general ideas of the interesting structure.

IMG_0427IMG_0434IMG_0441IMG_0464

We visited the Dali museum in Figueres. Also a place where you keep looking. His paintings are ordered by his mood. Like, there is a hall filled with pictures he made inspired by the sea and one where he was in a dark period. Overall, really bizarre and fun to visit. Here are some impressions. (By the way, look at the noses of the ladies in the last picture, haha. This is part of a bigger painting)

Outside and one of the ceilings.
IMG_0530IMG_0562
The last painting features Abraham Lincolns face! It shows up even better when you are looking through your camera.
IMG_0557IMG_0559IMG_0569IMG_0611

And the hill called Montjuïc, with a pretty fountain and a palace, where you had a beautiful view of Barcelona on one side and its harbour on the other side.IMG_0667IMG_0735IMG_0740

On our road trip back we had a stop in Orleans (France).

I hope I gave you a little impression of my vacation. We also had lots of free time, where we played board/card games and watched movies together. And like I said, you could find me very often in a hammock together with a good book. It was such a relaxing vacation and I truly miss it over there. Spain, you will see me again soon!

11880359_744573982313952_441198438135206536_n
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

25 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks absolutely gorgeous there! Spain has always been a country that I've really wanted to visit, and now that I live in England I hope I'll be able to go to a lot of European countries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Mel! Your vacation looks fantastic, and I love that your rental was such a picturesque location. I really want to visit Spain one day, and your post has made me more determined than ever to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! We always try to find quiet places.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous photos! I need to take a vacation like that sometime - just relaxing and a little bit of visiting of tourists spots. Some day I'll go somewhere for a good long time! :) Thank you for this recap too - I've never been to Spain, but I would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we need some time off to re-energize!

      Delete
  4. Lucky you! Spain is a beautiful country, especially in Summer. The weather is almost always nice and they have nice food as well. Your pictures make me feel like going on holydays, lool! I wish I was somewhere else than gloomy England, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was fantastic! And I do love sunny, warm weather <3

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you had a great time! It's always nice to have a break, especially when you work as hard as you do <3

    Spain looks beautiful! I've never been before since my family always gravitates towards Turkey/Greece but now that I've seen how beautiful - minus the, erm, sausage - it is I'm putting the idea out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah. I would love to visit those two countries too some day, but Spain is definitely in my top 3 of beautiful countries I've traveled to so far <3

      Delete
  6. Mel!! I was crying over your gorgeous pictures on Instagram, it looks like you had a wonderful time!! So glad you decided to share more pictures on your blog with us. I love that reading hammock - I NEED.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O_______O

    Such beautiful pictures, Mel! I've never been to Spain, but I've always wanted to go there. The places you've visited are so beautiful, and ACK I just need to go there!!! Thank you for sharing about your trip to us! I love having a little glimpse on people's trips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love seeing photographs from other people, so it was great to share them :)

      Delete
  8. Oh Mel, it looks like you had a truly amazing and memorable trip!! And you took such GORGEOUS pictures with your new camera ♥♥♥ I have such wanderlust, I was Europe was closer to me so that I could explore ALL OF IT! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and allowing us to live vicariously through you haha! You stayed at a wonderful house, I love the layout, the yard and THE POOL! And such amazing sites: nature, old architecture, statues, markets, beaches, culture, museums, La Sagrada! Wow! Wonderful post^^ xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am also happy with how they turned out! :D

      Delete
  9. LOVE THIS POST! Gosh your pictures are beautiful and it sounds like you had an AMAZING time! Barcelona is one of my favorite cities in Europe! But that mansion in the country! Looks so peaceful! Ahh, so glad that you had a great and relaxing time! But I'm also happy that you are back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barcelona is definitely high on my list. I loved it <3

      Delete
  10. OH MY GOSH THESE PICTURES ARE ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I'm so happy you had a great time--Spain is most definitely on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spain looks like a beautiful country. My relatives live there and we've talked about me flying there to do toruisty things :D I am checking out your Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh :D This post is so gorgeous Mel. <3 Thank you so so much for sharing about your trip to Spain :D You are so lucky. <3 It sounds and looks like you had a gooorgeous time :D YAY! Such a beautiful place to stay at too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The La Sagrada Familia looks amazing! That must have taken forever to build. Those dead animal heads at the market are beyond creepy though. Other than that, Spain looks like such a beautiful place. Traveling to Europe and visiting ALL THE PLACES is on my bucket list. I just need more vacation time lol :P
    I'm glad you had a great vacation, but also glad you're back to blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are never done with building it! My parents went to Barcelona a year ago and this year they spotted a lot of new things on the outside. It's forever in progress.

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing these, Mel. One day I hope to have a Spain experience as perfect as yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0