Monday, August 31, 2015 12:33

Monthly recap | August '15. Sucks.

recap
This post recaps my month, from personal life to books I’ve read & bought, movies and TV shows I’ve seen and links to posts that interest me.
OUAT1
I was in Spain until August 9th. It was hard to say goodbye to the easy and warm life there, because now I had to deal with a couple of things that still bug me. There are some changes in my life and it has been beating me up, but I know for sure it will work out. For now, I have found a job for two months, so that is motivating!

The rest of the month has been quite uneventful. My boyfriend left for 10 days to Greece, so I was stuck in the rainy and cold Netherlands. I definitely missed him a lot. I went to the Firework event with my sister and brother in law. This is an event we have every year here and different countries are competing for the highest score. I went game-hunting with my dad and we found an amazing store. It was a very fun day and we came home with an Extension set to a card game that is quickly becoming one of our favorites (Machiavelli) I also went grocery shopping with my mum and we discovered this Healthy & Organic store with all kinds of yummy treats.  I went to the beach with my boyfriend to enjoy one of the few sunny days we’ve had and we celebrated his birthday.

I guess this was just one of those sucky months, but I have a good feeling about September.
 
Read1
Morgan Matson – Since you’ve been gone. 4/5.
Serena Valentino – The beast within. 1/5.
J.K Rowling – HP and the chamber of secrets. 4/5.
Cat Winters – The uninvited. 4/5.
J.K Rowling – HP and the prisoner of Azkaban. 4/5.
Heidi Shultz – The pirate code. 4.5/5.
Nicholas Gannon – The doldrums. 3/5.
Jenni James – The frog prince. 2/5.
Kate Leth – Edward Scissorhands volume 2: whole again. 3/5.
John Connolly – The book of lost things. 5+/5.


I’m in the middle of a Harry Potter re-read and it’s amazing. It has been two years since I’ve read the books and every time I fall in love all over again. The pirate code and The book of lost things were both amazing. I was also surprised with Since you’ve been gone, I loved it more than I expected. It even inspired me to make a to-do list for my boyfriend when he went on vacation. It was fun! He had a great time hunting down everything he had to do and I got to see all the pictures and videos as prove.
egsdsdg
MOVIES:
Spanglish. Uhm. Yeah. My mother watched it on Netflix and I happened to follow it, but it was terrible.
Princess diaries 2: Royal engagement. Fun fun fun! Second time.

TV-SHOWS:
Marco Polo season 1. We watched the whole deal in 3 days.
Orange is the new black, finished season 3 and I need mooooore. I hate Piper though.
America’s next top model. I’m following the new cycle (22) and I also finished cycle 21.
White collar season 5. I’ve never watched this show before, but my father is a big fan so I saw every episode of this season. It was okay.
Hart of Dixie, finally continuing season 2. I kind of forgot about this show, but I am hooked again. He attempted to bake her favorite cookies and it was so sweet *ship*
Book haul
Requested from Publisher on Netgalley:
Heidi Schultz – The pirate code. [Disney-Hyperion]
Brianna Shrum – Never never. [Spencer Hill Press]

Read-now on Netgalley:
Kate Leth – Edward Scissorhands volume 2: whole again. (Comic)
Jacqueline Garlick – Lumiere.
Jacqueline Garlick – Noir.
Dakota Chase – Mad about the hatter.
Paula Weston – Shadows.
Jamie Cassidy – Hawthorn.
Libba Bray – Lair of dreams.

Downloads from Edelweiss: [Harpercollins]
Kathy McMillan – Sword and verse.
Heidi Heilig – The girl from everywhere.
Sophie Jordan – Reign of shadows.
Sarah Ahiers – Assassin’s heart.
C.J Redwine – The shadow queen.
Cammie McGovern – Just my luck.
Kathryn Purdie – Burning glass.
Wendy Higgings – The great hunt.
Cinda Williams Chima – Flamecaster.

AR'S from HarperCollins.
I've read Mindy McGinnis - A madness so discreet (FANTASTIC) and Nicholas Gannon - The doldrums (cute and great illustrations). I will pick up Lisa Papademetriou - A tale of highly unusual magic soon.


*hides* I’ve been bad.
dingamebobs
This is something new I want to add to my monthly recaps. You can always find tons of links to interesting posts on Christina reads YA and I thought it would be fun to highlight some articles and news that interest me. It is divided in Whozits (random stuff with gadgets and gismos for YT and scientific articles) and Whatzits (bookish).

Whozits.
Cancer cells are programmed back to normal cells.
Black holes are a passage to other universes.
First lab-grown limb.

I’ve been trying to attain a healthier life-style and one of the important things was getting more exercise. I’ve fallen in love with Yoga by Adrien. She has a calming voice and she really knows how to explain the proper movements.
Whatzits.
Quote of the day I spotted on Goodreads and I thought it was quite fitting:
Book collecting is an obsession, an occupation, a disease, an addiction, a fascination, an absurdity, a fate. It is not a hobby. Those who do it must do it.– Jeanette Winterson.

I also stumbled on this quote in The book of lost things by John Connolly and I thought it was gorgeous:
“I think the act of reading imbues the reader with a sensitivity toward the outside world that people who don't read can sometimes lack. I know it seems like a contradiction in terms; after all reading is such a solitary, internalizing act that it appears to represent a disengagement from day-to-day life. But reading, and particularly the reading of fiction, encourages us to view the world in new and challenging ways...It allows us to inhabit the consciousness of another which is a precursor to empathy, and empathy is, for me, one of the marks of a decent human being.”
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

24 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time in Spain and you found work! That is definitely un-sucky.

    The only Harper book I downloaded was Flamecaster so I'm feeling proud of myself haha. Though I do have my eyes on Assassin's Heart and Sophie Jordan's new book, but I'll wait for the reviews on those first.

    I absolutely love that John Connolly quote. I agree with every single word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the better things that happened. Having work, even temporarily, takes some of the stress away. Only one book, good job!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Spain! I really need to read Since You've Been Gone! I have started it twice but I've put it down both time due to other books :/ Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up liking Since you've been gone a lot, which was a surprise :)

      Delete
  3. I like Morgan Matson, a lot.
    Happy September reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MAN - A Madness So Discreet sounds SO GOOD! And HP rereads are one of my all time favorite things - it's true. Here's to an awesome September! oxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that you had such a blast in Spain Mel, but I get how coming back must have been a bummer. I'm sorry that the rest of your month was a bit more sucky, but hopefully things will look up in September :) YAY for HP rereads. I wanted to do one for HP Month this year but my shitty Summer part-time job took up ALL my free time. Luckily that's all behind me now and HOPEFULLY I'll be rereading HP for next year's HP Month :D I still need to get into OitNB but with Fall coming up, there'll be more time for television binges XD Here's to a wonderful September ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The start of September has been infinitely better already :)

      Delete
  6. I want to go to Spain so badly, it looks amazing! Because we live in England now I'm going to force my parents to take me to Spain during holidays some time! ;D

    I love the cover for A Madness so Discreet - IT'S SO NICE.

    That quote from The Book of Lost Things is lovely - I really want to read the book now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope September goes better for you, girl! Looks like you have a lot of great new reads to keep you company. :) I'm hoping I can get Harper approval for some of those on EW. >.<
    I read Since You've Been Gone last month too and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I hope you will get your approval soon (although.. it's a TRAP, run while you can, haha)

      Delete
  8. Yay to the job! I'm glad you'll have something to occupy your time with! I really need to do a Harry Potter reread + a rewatch. It's been 5ever since I've done either, and that's a damn shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A rewatch is also on my planning, it has been a while since I saw the first few movies.

      Delete
  9. Since You've Been Gone is my favorite contemporary! I started re-reading HP like two years ago but I still need to get to Order of the Phoenix (I know I know shame on me).

    Good luck on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Hart of Dixie, I watched it while blogging all the time (until I finished it). I can't wait for A Madness so Discrete to come out! It sounds awesome. I had not heard of Just my Luck, I will have to go look it up! I cant wait to read your review for Never Never!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I've been meaning to catch up with your Spain vacation, I'll check it out when I get the chance! How amazing, I would love to re-read Harry Potter. I hope you get to see your BF soon! I started orange is the New Black (season 1) and enjoying it so far. You did well with your EW haul and exciting about A Madness So Discreet! Have a great month Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, yay :D It sounds like you had such an amazing August Mel. <3 So jealous of you and happy for you :) Yay for reading such awesome books too. YAY for liking The Uninvited a lot :D I loved it. <3 So good. Sigh. And yaaaay for getting so much awesome too :D I hope you'll read The Shadow Queen soon. <3 I loved it very, very much. Happy reading sweet girl. <3 Hope you are having an awesome September so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Piper makes me want to scratch out my own eyes. Everyone, EVERYONE, in that prison has more personality in a toenail than Piper has in her entire being. Watching her White Privilege around the facility gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE THAT YOU MADE YOUR BOYFRIEND A TO-DO LIST FOR HIS VACATION! That is so cute Mel! And I hope your September rocks since August felt sucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Since You've Been Gone too! And such a great idea to make a to-do list for your boyfriend that sounds absolutely amazing. The Princess Diaries is one of my favourite movies of all time and I love watching it. I wish Royal Engagement was Michael though ;) HP re-reads are the best - it's like no matter how many times you read it, you discover something new. And never sick of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Every time I seem to find new details I never thought about before. It's magical.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0