Let it go | All the books I read in Spain part 1.


Let it go is my new feature, where I will spotlight all the books I DNF and the ones I read, but don’t want to review. And yes, the name is based on the wonderful song from the movie Frozen, hence the snowflake and the reindeer. This feature is based on several other DNF features.

I read quite some books in Spain and I was planning to review them all separately, but let’s be honest, I’m too lazy at this moment to do so. The only book I will spotlight on itself is The wrath and the dawn (because it is amazing) These reviews feature pictures I made to test my new camera.

The storyspinnerBecky Wallace – The storyspinner. 4/5.
SHIP. Johanna’s family is expelled from their troupe when her father falls to death during his performance. They have a hard time earning money, especially with their alcoholic mother. One day she is beat up by Prince Rafi when he catches her hunting a dear on his property. His mother is appalled by her son’s behavior and he has to make an oath that he will make it up to Johanna. I loved the chemistry between Johanna and Rafi, who dislike each other from the moment they meet. Johanna is a strong, smart girl who doesn’t take crap from anyone. The romance was great, there are some shocking moments and I loved the plot, so give me more please! I didn't give it 5 stars, because the overall story isn't very unique.



Ring and the crown
Melissa de la Cruz – The ring and the crown. 3/5.
This book has a lot of different characters and it took me some time to get used to all of them. She used an interesting way to combine all these separate lines into one tale. It could be confusing at times, because there are so many names and characters that are suddenly connected to each other. I like how not every story has a happily-ever-after, but they have realistic twists and I look forward to the next book.

IMG_0185
Kasie West – The distance between us. 3/5.
I was a bit underwhelmed by this book. West is one of the few authors that manage to write contemporary books I enjoy, but this wasn’t IT for me. Caymen and Alex meet when he picks up a doll for his grandmother. Two people who think they have nothing in common, turn out to be pretty good friends. I wasn’t blown away by their developing friendship and how abrupt the story ends. Some things felt too convenient for me and both characters failed to make a real impression on me.

IMG-0001
A.C Gaughen – Lion Heart. 4/5.
I loved Scarlet, was torn apart by the emotional Lady Thief and I was scared something bad was going to happen. I am happy to say this book was almost everything I could have asked for. There are enough Scarlet/Robin shipping moments and I loved the fast-paced plot. The only thing that let me down was Scarlet. She is so kick-ass and strong in the first two books, but there was something whiny about her in Lion Heart. I love that we get to see her vulnerable side, but she cries often and has many break downs. It’s just not what I am used to.. It made her realistic, but also a bit annoying. I wanted to slap her ‘GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER GIRL.’
Code name verity
Elizabeth Wein – Code name Verity. 2/5.
So yeah. This happened. Everyone I know has been raving about this book. It was supposed to be emotional, but the only emotion I felt was boredom. Julia has been captured by the Gestapo and she tells her and Maddie’s story through letters. I can not believe how utterly boring that story is and I loathed the writing-style. The book only gets 1 extra star because I finished it, and the twist at the ending was good.
Glass casketMcCormick Templeman – The glass casket. 3.5/5.
This was a dark retelling and I really enjoyed it. Rowan lives in a quiet village with her best friend Tom, her father and brother Jude. Her father forbids her from making contact with her cousin Fiona, who arrived in their village about a week ago. Something weird is going on; a beast is roaming the woods and is claiming lives. Fiona is one of victims, but then she wakes up. The only thing I didn’t like was the insta-love between Fiona and Tom, who luckily weren’t the main characters, so I could oversee this problem. Not mind-blowing, but it’s enjoyable.

The glass sentenceS.E Grove – The glass sentence. 4.5/5.
YES. Thanks to my friend Christina I finally picked this up. I was intrigued by the promise and charmed by the cover and maps (3!), but this book was even better than expected. The world-building is fantastic; during the Great Disruption, lands got scattered into different time periods. Sophia’s parents disappeared on one of their missions and she lives together with her uncle, a brilliant mapmaker, Shandrack. He is kidnapped and Sophia is the only one to find him back, with the clue he left for her. Sophia is such a clever, young girl and I was charmed by her. I loved the explanations behind different type of maps and the design of this book is beautiful. I highly recommend it.

26 comments

  1. I've never really been interested in reading Code Name Verity and i've FINALLY found someone who didn't like it. You are - probably - my people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the title of the new feature, but I'm surprised by how you felt about Code Name Verity! I guess we can agree to disagree. Hope you had a grand time in Spain :)

    http://www.printedwordsand.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, almost everyone seem to love it. Oh well! We can't always have the same opinion :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't end up loving Code Name Verity, although I do get it. As for The Storyspinner, I enjoyed it just as much as you did, unique or not. It was really well done. I can't wait for more. I guess I'll have to read The Glass Sentence asap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need The Storyspinner in my hands right now.

    Sorry about Code Name Verity. I haven't read it, and I'm on fence about it, as I enjoyed Rose Under Fire, but didn't find it so utterly compelling that everyone made the two books out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I'm sad Code Name Verity didn't work for you, I love the photo you took of it! And I listened to the audiobook and fell in love with the narrators, so I'm not sure if it would have passed the test in its regular format. They do go on about planes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also happy how the picture turned out :D

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm, balen dat Code name Verity zo tegenviel! Hij staat op mijn leeslijstje, maar op dit moment niet echt heel hoog meer :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gewoon proberen, misschien dat jij hem wel geweldig vindt zoals de meeste mensen!

      Delete
  7. It's a shame you didn't enjoy Code Name Verity. I hear very mixed things about it. Also, the new camera looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mini reviews! YAY!!! This may sound terrible, but I am glad you didn't enjoy Code Name Verity. That might just be because I also really didn't enjoy it and I'd always felt so alone in that opinion. That book bored me so much and I didn't understand why so many loved it and cried, I was crying on the inside from boredom but that was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* You are the second one, it's good to see I'm not alone!

      Delete
  9. Ahh I still need to read Lion Heart! I keep forgetting about these sequels that have come out and I just haven't got around to them... I'll keep in mind that Scarlet gets a little bit annoying!
    I really loved The Glass Sentence too! It's has such an interesting magic system :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read Storyspinner, The Ring and the Crown AND Scarlet and your lovely mini-reviews here reminded me that I must do so asap :) Code Name Verity was recommended to me recently and I vividly remember everyone raving about it but seeing how it just didn't work for you, I'm a bit hesitant to start now O.O Anyway, GORGEOUS pictures with your brand new toy :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great mini reviews, Mel!
    I'm glad you enjoyed The Storyspinner! It's such a fun fantasy and I can't wait for more. Lion Heart was really good for me too, though I thought the ending way way too abrupt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whew! That's a lot of books! I always want to read more when on vacation and...fail. :)

    I'm going to HAVE to pick up Glass Sentence, though, because I look at it daily at work and wonder if it's good--and now you've told me it is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed Storyspinner, I can see what you are saying though about it being not super unique. I enjoyed Lion Heart as well! YES I am not alone on Code Name Verity, I just could not get into it, it felt soo slow to me.

    Ashley @The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* We can slowly start a group, you are the third person who didn't enjoy it!

      Delete
  14. Yay :D Such gorgeous reviews Mel. <3 Yay for getting to read so many awesome books in Spain :) Ahh, The Glass Sentence. <3 I adore it too. Yay for loving it :) So glad you loved The Storyspinner too :D Such a great book. Thank you for sharing about all of these sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Code Name Verity was a really slow start for me too, but I was really glad I stuck it out because I found the second part so much more impactful than the first. I can agree I wasn't as emotionally satisfied from it as I wanted to be though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really, really want to read The Storyspinner! I keep meaning to, but keep putting it off, probably because I haven't snagged a copy for myself yet. But I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it! Makes me more eager to bump it up my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AHH! I love than you included your Kindle books! But re: The Storyspinner is one that I keep trying to decide if I want to read it or not.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.