Unpopular opinion book tag.

I wasn’t tagged by anyone, but saw this tag floating around the community and I like the questions. If you haven’t done this tag, consider yourself tagged right now. The tag was created on Youtube, but I couldn't find the source.

1. A Popular Book or series that you didn't like.
imageFinnikin of the rock by Melina Marchetta. I was bored to death. Everyone is raving about the characters, but if she would have killed every single character I would have been fine with it. The writing-style was also nothing special to me. I thought the world-building was okay, so that counts for something I guess?

2. A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love.
imageI think R.C Lewis - Stitching Snow. It’s a good thing I didn’t give up on this book, because of my love for fairytales. It’s one of the best books I’ve read this year. Many people compare it with Cinder and say it's a copy, but I never got that idea. The only thing they have in common is the genre (sci-fi retelling) Saying it's not unique should not be a reason to dislike a book, because good luck with finding something unique (especially with retellings)


3. A love triangle where the MC ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with.
imageI can think of a few examples, but Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo has to be one of my most hated conclusions. That is all I can say in case of spoilers, but check out my review if you are interested.

4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
Light and fluffy contemporaries.  I’m just more into fantasy and retellings.

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
imageI wasn’t blown away by Anna and the French kiss by Stephanie Perkins to be begin with, but the romance in this book was horrible. I hate Etienne St. Clair. I don’t understand why everyone loves him so much. He is a cheating bastard in my opinion.

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into.
Cassandra Clare. To be honest, I kind of liked the first two books from the Mortal instrument series, but I was done after the third one. I don’t get all the hype around her work. It’s just okay in my opinion and the amount of books is starting to get ridiculous.

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (examples "lost princess", corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)
Besides the love triangles and insta-love, I’m also tired of one sided characters. A girl is kick-ass OR girly. A boy is tough OR weak. But I think you can be both. There is nothing wrong with a girl who can fight and loves pretty dresses. Being feminine doesn’t make you less strong and guys can be insecure too without losing their masculinity. I just want to read about realistic characters with complex personalities.

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
imagePatrick Rothfuss and the Kingkiller chronicles. I have no idea how I finished The name of the wind, because there are SO many pages and there is SO little story. I am done with this series. I was expecting magic and good character development, but all I got was.. talking, I guess?

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
Hands down: J.R.R Tolkien – Lord of the Rings. I have tried to read that series many times, but I always struggle with his writing. I don't like Frodo, but he is acceptable in the movies because of the other cast members. I will keep watching the movies over and over again, but my pretty edition of LOTR will stand unread on the shelves.

27 comments

  1. I said the same thing for question 3! The Darkling all the way! I really liked Anna and The French Kiss and I can see why you wouldn't like √Čtienne but I still love him and that book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I haven't read a lot of these yet, but when I do I'll be curious to compare thoughts with you (i.e. Finnikin of the Rock, Grisha, Stitching Snow and The Name of The Wind) I am TOTALLY with you on light and fluffy contemporaries though! I'm simply not drawn to the genre and I'm much rather read fantasy, sci-fi or whatever else :) And I feel you regarding the LotR answer. I SO struggled with the book. It took a solid 75 pages for it to even begin drawing me in and the writing style was still a challenge at times beyond that. So.Many.Bloody.Descriptions. Of trees, of trails, of hills. O.O I like world-building as much as the next girl, but some of those were too much! And you're right that Frodo isn't all that great as an MC. The books did pick up eventually and I'm glad that I read them, but I don't know how often I'd actually reread them. The films are a wonderful adaptation ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!! I HATED Ruin and Rising. Everyone else loved it and I'm stuck in the corner cross and unhappy because my ship lost and the book was slow and bleh and anticlimactic and ewww. I haven't read the others yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m too scared to try Finikkin of the Rock because it’s not really my element/genre I’m comfortable with. And I also don’t like Cassandra Claire’s works; none of her books appeal to me & like you said there are too many books in one world/universe, I don’t think I’m up for the challenge. :,D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your answer for #7! PREEEACH! Right away I thought of The Winner's Crime, which was so well done! We need more characters like Kestrel - who can be tough (not physically, but mentally) and smart and vulnerable.
    Have you tried Froi of the Exiles? I know a few friends who weren't in love with Finnikin but ended up loving the latter two books.
    Agreed about Stitching Snow - I adored that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ended up loving Ruin & Rising but that love triangle was a mess and I feel like Alina limited herself and her true potential just to be with that person. It was just ugh no, what kind of lesson are you teaching?

    And as for strong girly heroines, I totally agree, but strangely enough, we also don't have girls that are really strong and look it, like have abs or something. No characteristic belongs to men alone and vice versa so authors should explore all the different kinds of girls that there are :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AhhhhhI HATE ETIENNE. I hate him so much and I do NOT understand all the love for him! He IS a cheating bastard - that's all there is to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, YES YES YES to the first two! I seriously thought I was going to fall asleep during Finnikin of the Rock, and Stitching Snow got 5 full stars from me.

    And St. Claire....? OMG I so love you right now. I thought he was just a spineless a-hole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw. I adore this post Mel :D You are aaaaamazing. <3 But damn. We disagree about a lot of things here, lol :D Yet I still love you, always. <3 But aw. So so so sad that you didn't like Finnikin :( I loved that book. Been years since I read it :p Must re-read. <3 And aw, I hated Stitching Snow, lol :) And Anna.. ugh. Been YEARS since I read it. I remember little. But when I think back, all I have in my head is hate for it :p Not a good book. Sigh. But aw. Ruin and Rising. It was the ending I always imagined, and I loved it so goddamn much. But I understand how you feel :) But yeah, we are very much different on that one ;p But.. but.. aw. I LOVE Cassandra Clare. Sure, I'm a bit angry about her triangles.. but I'm not thinking about them. I love her writing and her stories, hih :) Never enough books from her for me. <3 But anyway. I adore your answers. <3 Thank you for sharing sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, Name of The Wind. I feeeeel you on that book. It just felt like a giant ego stroke, and honestly I could not care less about Kvothe and his discovery of just how awesome he is. It felt like the author was living vicariously through his character and meh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOD THE DARKLING. I STILL CRY. haha, I can read Cassandra Clare but I prefer not to at this point haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mel I have to agree with you on a lot of the points you made, I really tried to read Finnkin, but I just couldn't which is a real shame, as I loved all of her previous books that I read, but I may try giving it another go. I also couldn't get into The Lord of the Rings books, I really did try, but I think the pages of descriptions just overwhelmed me :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Tag! Although I really liked Anna and The French Kiss, I have to agree with you that the romance between her and Etienne wasn't very likeable as you said!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it weird that I agree with every single one of your answers? Because I pretty much did (except for Anna & The French Kiss, though I see your point). Seriously though, I LOVED Stitching Snow, and I was so unhappy with how the Grisha trilogy ended. It’s just not right! I’m definitely trying to read more contemporary novels (I’ve read two in this past week—it’s crazy!), but fantasy will always be my favorite genre.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are not alone, I just could not get into Finnikin I tried the audio book and it never caught my attention enough to keep going. I have yet to read Stitching Snow but I do still have it and intend to read it eventually :) Also YES to LOTR!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THANK YOU. I hated St. Clair. I mostly liked Anna, except I thought less of her for being in love with a guy all year who was clearly just stringing her along. I don't like when characters end up with cheaters, because I don't believe they'll ever change. I don't understand how their story was romantic at all.

    Also, I found Finnikin of the Rock incredibly boring. I forced myself to get through it, but for some reason I decided to give the second book a try. I'm SO GLAD I did. Books two and three are amaaaaazing. The characters are so much more interesting, and I was finally invested in the plot. I really hope you give them a try, because I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this tag! So fun! Finnikin absolutely does not appeal to me either. And I am right there with you with Cassandra Clare. It was fine for the first thousand pages but the next 400,000 were just too much ;)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought City of Bones was averagely okay. I remember I planned to continue The Mortal Instruments, but I never got the chance to. I don't plan to continue it any more because the series is so fricking long :P I think I'll just pass for the upcoming TV show instead, if it works better. Like you, Cassandra Clare barely worked for me. While she has really good books, I don't think I'm much too enticed to read them. Sadly :(

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  19. OHMYGOD no one EVER understands my dislike for Etienne St Clair! Totally agree with you on the whole cheating thing... Grr.
    Beth x
    WWW.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I DNFed IN the Name of the Wind. Sooooo long and I couldn't get into it at all. Glad I'm not alone. I'm not a contemporary fan either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this unpopular tag. I have not been able to get into Cassandra Claire either. I think it is odd that most of us complain about love triangles, yet the authors keep writing them in. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oohh that reminds me. I still need to get around to reading Stitching Snow. It bothers me sometimes when people dismiss a book because it has similar aspects to a different book they read. I mean if you like that kind of book, why wouldn't you want more! Plus, the really unique books can often be a bit strange sometimes and I don't always like those as much haha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oo we share a lot of the same (unpopular) opinions! I could care less about Finnikin and the Rock, the characters and the writing style just did not work for me. And I did not like Anna and the French Kiss at all! And I just don't even want to bother with Cassandra Clare hahaha. I think if she wrote more than just Shadowhunters, I would give her books a try.

    ReplyDelete
  24. NooOo you disliked The Name of The Wind? :( Eh, I guess it can't be for everyone :)
    Yeah, I don't get Clare's popularity, either. I can see myself reading the books when I was 15 and liking them, possibly, but they just don't hold much appeal now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are fabulous questions! I especially agree with #7. My favorite characters are complex or at least true to themselves and feel authentic. And yes, girls can be kick-butt and still girly. This was fun, Mel!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  26. High five for hating St. Claire! I really do need to pick up Stitching Snow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.