Tuesday, June 23, 2015 20:28

Review 232. Kasie West – The fill-in boyfriend.

18660447Title: The fill-in boyfriend.
Author: Kasie West.
Pages: 352.
Published: May 5th 2015 by HarperTeen
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source:  I received an ARC from the publisher. Thanks HC International!
When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she has to think fast. After all, she'd been telling her friends about him for months now. This was supposed to be the night she proved he existed. So when she sees a cute guy waiting to pick up his sister, she enlists his help. The task is simple: be her fill-in boyfriend— two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. After that, she can win back the real Bradley. The problem is that days after prom, it's not the real Bradley she's thinking about, but the stand-in. The one whose name she doesn't even know. But tracking him down doesn't mean they're done faking a relationship. Gia owes him a favor and his sister intends to see that he collects: his ex-girlfriend's graduation party — three hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. Just when Gia begins to wonder if she could turn her fake boyfriend into a real one, Bradley comes waltzing back into her life, exposing her lie, and threatening to destroy her friendships and her new-found relationship.
Rating:

Yes. That is correct. I gave this book, a contemporary, 5 glowing flowers. If you are a frequent visitor you might be aware that I don’t read many fluffy contemporaries. I never thought I would ever find one I enjoyed so much that I would give it 5 flowers, but leave it up to Kasie West to change that. I first devoured her Pivot Point series and then I really enjoyed On the fence. With this book as prove, I can easily say she is now on my auto-buy list.



Gia is always the one to dump a guy, so when her boyfriend Bradley breaks up with her in the parking lot right before prom, she does the last thing she can think off to save her reputation: take a fill-in guy to portray as Bradley. That has to satisfy Jules, who is trying to work Gia out of their group. The nameless boy acts perfectly until his sister shows up, who clearly hates Gia. After their ‘break up’ at prom and the fact she can’t stop thinking about him, life is turning to be more complicated than Gia anticipated.

There was something fragile about Gia and I love her development in her story. She is by no means a perfect character and she does many stupid things. The person she was in the beginning was in need of the change and the way she matured felt realistic. Despite not having the same struggle as Gia, there was something about her I identified with. Her longing to be liked and her loneliness among her friends was understandable. Her need for social likes was also something I recognize myself in every now and then, so that could be confronting.

Her nameless guy is absolutely adorable. Their chemistry is the best and I loved their moments of banter. He supports her and gives her space to change. His sister Bec was also a highlight of the story. She doesn’t shy away from saying what she believes and I like that she embraces Gia in her life despite everything Gia did to her.

I think this book worked so well for me because of the balance between deeper stuff and romance. It had the right amount of fluff and story. I often feel a little overwhelmed by the emphasis on romance in contemporaries (reason I tend to stay away), but this book hit the right notes for me. This was combined with many funny scenes that made me laugh out loud, so I would say this is the perfect book for the summer.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

28 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one as well! I agree that there was a good balance between the fluff and the story. Some elements were rich and complicated, and then others like the fake boyfriend trope were delightfully fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised that you gave a Kasie West contemporary 5 stars. Her books are the perfect combination of fluff + heart. Now you just need to read my favorite - The Distance Between Us. (!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to start on Kasie West books! Her stories are perfect for that summer contemporary read! Great review, I'm definitely putting this one in my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT IS THIS. Mel giving a contemporary book 5 STARS? I'll have to check this one out!! I read On the Fenceand I thought it was cute, and this one looks wonderful as well! I love the concept of a boy "filling in" for Gia, and then them eventually falling for each other. Gia sounds like a character I would really relate to, and HOORAY for character growth - that's what I love to see in contemporaries. Wonderful review, Mel! I'll have to check this one out soon.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kasie West is a GODDESS. Sad to say that this is my least favorite of hers, though. :( I do agree that I could relate to Gia at some points, though. I know how it feels like to feel a bit unwanted by friends, and on that, I really wanted to give Gia a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been on the fence with whether or not to read this book. I have seen some mixed reviews, although recently I've seen a lot more positive ones. I'm glad to hear about Gia. In a lot of books featuring female main characters, it's usually been "completely weak" or "perfect and strong". It'll be interesting to see a character outside of the mold with some set development. I'm happy you enjoyed the book!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gia is definitely not like those cliched main characters.

      Delete
  7. I also absolutely LOVED this newest release from Kasie West and gave the book a 5/5 rating. Kasie has never failed to impress me with her well-written, well thought out storylines and genuine characters. I'm glad you enjoyed this read as much as I did!

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read her Pivot Point books and as much as I loved them, I've always been a bit hesitant to give her contemporary novels a try. Silly, I know, but I don't read many contemps and despite knowing that I enjoy her writing (not to mention such glowing praise she's received!) I've put them off and avoided them. THAT SAID, just two weeks ago I fell hard for a contemporary novel and have been craving more. ...I think it's time I give Ms. West's novels a shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you crave contemporary, her books are the best!

      Delete
  9. I adored this one! So glad you did too. Braden was probably my favorite character <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. The moment I saw that you had not only read a contemporary, but given it a 5-star rating as well, you had my attention. Coming from another contemporary-avoider, I guess I'll have to check out Kasie West! I do have Pivot Point on my tbr shelf so I think I'd start with that one but if I enjoy it too, I'll definitely be reading more of her work. Fantastic review Mel, I'm happy that you had fun with this one :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, I'm curious if she works for you too :D

      Delete
  11. Yay! I loved this one too - as I do all of Kasie's books. :D She's also an auto-buy for me. My only disappointment is that she's only releasing one title each year now instead of the two a year she was doing the last two years. :( Anyway, I do love how her stories are about so much more than just the romance or the action and her characters always have some tough choices to make. Great review!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I really enjoyed this story but I couldn't give it 5 stars in the end. I really did love it, and Kasie West is still an auto-buy author for me. But at times it just felt very juvenile as a lot of the characters didn't act their age. I don't know any seventeen year olds who would really believe their closest friend was pretending to have a boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen good reviews for this one before but I think yours tipped the scale - I have to get this book! If someone who generally doesn't like a genre really loves a book that's out of their comfort zone, it tends to be pretty spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its great books when in our not-so-loved-genre surprises us :)

      Delete
  14. Aw, yaaay :D I'm so happy you ended up loving this book Mel! <3 That is the best feeling. I also don't like this genre much, lol :) So I'm thrilled you loved this one. <3 I'm not sure I want it yet, annoyed by the plot :p But you are making it sound so cute. Ugh. One day I shall read it :D Thank you for sharing your stunning thoughts sweetie. <3 Your review is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you read The Distance Between Us yet? Because that one is still my favorite but I love all her books, including this one. Fill-in Bradley was soo swoony and I loved Bec! It did take me a little to warm to Gia but I loved the message in this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, but I might pick it up to read on my vacation!

      Delete
  16. I am going to just give it up and read this one. I read Pivot Point by West and I LOVED it. She has a way of pulling you in. Everyone seems to adore this one. Even though I am not a big contemporary fan, I have to admit that I am really curious about getting my hands on this novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoid most contemporaries, but Kasie West has some kind of magic.

      Delete
  17. Yup, Kasie West is the queen of balancing deeper stuff with the fluffy romance! I'm surprised you gave it a 5 stars being the fluffy contemporary that it is, so good on you for loving it Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw yay! I loved this one too, Mel! Kasie West's contemporaries are just the best. I agree about Gia, too! She definitely needs the changes she gets, but it's so enjoyable. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Umm wow, honestly I'd almost written this book off because of so many mixed reviews. But your review makes me want to rethink my decision and give this book a read earlier than I had planned. I love it when a contemporary has the right amount of fluff and story!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kasie West does banter so well that it's definitely a highlight of the book for me. Those are the moments I really liked Gia, even in the beginning. I loved to see her growth and I enjoyed Bec so much. West also does family really well and I like how she involves and develops characters beyond the main couple.

    The Distance Between Us is my favorite of hers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0