Saturday, June 20, 2015 10:38

Review 231. R.C Lewis – Stitching snow.

20706656Title: Stitching Snow.
Author: R.C Lewis.
Pages: 328.
Published: October 14th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion.
Sort: Stand-alone.
add to goodreads
Princess Snow is missing. Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all. Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fills her days with coding and repairs for the seven loyal drones that run the local mines. When a mysterious young man named Dane crash-lands near her home, Essie agrees to help the pilot repair his ship. But soon she realizes that Dane’s arrival was far from accidental, and she’s pulled into the heart of a war she’s risked everything to avoid. With the galaxy’s future—and her own—in jeopardy, Essie must choose who to trust in a fiery fight for survival.
Rating:

I think all the comparisons to The Lunar Chronicles are doing this clever story an injustice. Fairytale retellings and books are bound to have similarities. Sure, the sci-fi setting and certain elements could be connected with Marissa Meyer’s series, but Stitching Snow is a story on it’s own and it’s a damn good one.

Essie has build a life on Thanda, a cold, unfriendly planet where she takes care of the drones and fights against the male miners to earn some extra money. Her life isn’t perfect and with Dane crashing into her life, things are bound to change. Dane portrays to be from Geramite, looking for a treasure - and when Essie finds herself bound in a ship she finally figures it out: she is the treasure. Essie isn’t just a regular, smart girl and Dane has found out about her secret.

“Feelings can’t be wasted. Knowing they’re real for however long they last makes them worth having.”

Let me get started with feisty and spunky Essie. This girl doesn’t take crap from anyone and she has managed to survive all on her own. Her loneliness is bearable with the help of her seven drones, with Dimwit as the precious, silly one. He has a couple of loose stitches, but his loyalty to Essie is heart-warming. Her skills with electronics is admirable and I love how she turns every situation into something she can handle. There is no time to whine for her. Dane stole my heart. He did kidnap Essie, but I felt he had all the right reasons to justify his actions and he does feel sorry for it in the end. Their dynamic is fun and his support is unfailing. It has also been a while since I’ve seen such a healthy relationship in a YA retelling. The way he cares about Essie and thinks about her feelings is the best. The romance made me swoon and it was perfectly handled. Just enough time to make it plausible and it was never the focus of the story.

”I think I am in love with you, Essie. But I also think you are not ready. I shouldn’t have sprung it on you like that, so I decided to take it at your speed.”

I was surprised by the depth and complexity that were woven into the plot. We get to see Essie’s escape and why Queen Octavia wants to have her killed. It took the original story line to another level. It was heavy material and I admired the authors bravery to use it; and it worked.

The story was fast-paced, I liked the writing-style and the sci-fi setting with small details about the world-building. I honestly don’t get all the negative things I have heard about this book and I will cherish it. I can’t wait for Spinning Starlight.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

22 comments:

  1. I must confess... one of the main reasons I wanted to read this one in the first place was because of all the comparisons between this and The Lunar Chronicles I'd heard. I love those books--so I think there's a real chance of me liking these ones, too. (Plus, the titles are GORGEOUS.) Sounds like it has great worldbuilding too! Lovely review <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should get to reading this, obviously! I love the cover so much, as well. Mmmphh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has such a lovely cover and the for some reason this reminds me of the Lunar Chronicle Series by Merissa Meyer (which I love!) so I think I will give this book a try someday and pick it up! Oh and Great review too! (as always lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, yay :D Such a gorgeous review Mel. <3 I'm so thrilled that you loved this book so much :) I had huge issues with it, so to me it sucked, lol, but I can understand why you and others loved it. <3 So so happy you weren't disappointed when you read it :) Thank you for sharing about it sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so cute! I love the cover. Those quotes you posted, gah. I want to read this book now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thrilled that you loved it. I gave it 5 stars as well. It was the drones that really made it for me. I just LOVED them to death.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this one sounds awesome! I knew for a fact that you rarely rate books with a five star, so this book must have been pretty incredible to do so!:) I am looking forward to read this now, as I've always wanted to read a Sleeping Beauty retelling.
    Wonderful review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that was supposed to be Snow White! *facepalms*:)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this one yet, but I did feel like the comparisons to The Lunar Chronicles were rather unfair. It's like you said, all retellings have to be similar in some respects, I mean, they're all based on the same stories after all! In any case, I'm thrilled that you enjoyed this so much!! I feel like this is the first review I've read that actually gave this one a fair shake. I already love the sound of Essie and the fact that the plot sounds so rich and complex is an extra treat :) Fantastic review^^ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I've heard this one is similar to The Lunar chronicles with its sci-fi aspects, but I didn't like Cinder that much :( This one sounds really cute though, Lovely review Mel!<3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to read a positive review for this. I was really bogged down with review books when this came out and I skipped it. But you've inspired me to give it another chance....
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stitching Snow sounds interesting! I love the cover of it. To be honest, I avoided reading this one for a while because I was nervous I'd compare it to The Lunar Chronicles. But I'm glad to hear you say that it's a story that can stand on its own! Definitely considering checking it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this one when it came out and enjoyed it quite a bit. I agree that it deserves to stand on it's own instead of being always compared to The Lunar Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I've ever read a Snow White retelling before, so despite the similarities Stitching Snow may have with The Lunar Chronicles, I'm sure the story is much, much different! And it's really promising that you enjoyed this one, since you're kind of like the fairytale queen. ;)

    I don't know why, but when you mentioned "seven drones" I giggled a little. The seven dwarves have been replaced by drones, lolol. But aw, even if they are drones, they sound adorable and almost human-like. I guess it's a mark of a good author when they're able to bring even robots to life! Also, Essie sounds just like my kind of heroine. And eeep. I'm swooning for Dane already! Just a little, though. Heh. Yay for healthy romances! I do enjoy darker romances every now and then, but nothing beats innocent love, right? :B

    Ha, I hope the reason why the Queen wants Essie dead is more than just because she's prettier and nicer. The only real complaint I have is that I don't like the cover -- which is really unfair, I know, but I'm a cover judger and I can't help it! But anyway, I'm so glad that you loved this one, Mel, and I'll definitely be bumping it up my to-read list! Awesome review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. THOSE QUOTES. I think I'm mildly in love. Omg, but I'm so so glad you liked this, because I've wanted to read it forever but at the same time sort of haven't because I've seen a lot of negative reviews. BUT THIS HAS SOLD ME. Plus I'm monumentally in love with that cover. XD

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been super nervous to read this because of all the comparisons to The Lunar Chronicles, but you have definitely persuaded me to give it a try Mel. The fact that you say it can stand by itself against the Lunar Chronicles is praise enough. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the ARC for this one and skipped it because I wasn't ready to not like it when I so wanted to love it. Now I'll definitely go back and read it. :)

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, really happy to see such a wonderful review for this book. I definitely need to give this book a try. I love a good retelling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I wrote this book off too early! Even if there ARE similarities to The Lunar Chronicles it doesn't usually bother me when books resemble my favorites. And this one sounds like it has a lot that I will enjoy! Thanks for putting it back on my radar Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did write this off as well! I just got book two so I definitely plan to try the series out :)

      Delete
  19. Oooh your review has gotten me excited for this book Mel! I love how Essie's character has a lot of spunk and she's not afraid to tackle things head on. The sci-fi setting is totally up my alley. Initially, I was afraid with the similarity with Cinder, but it sounds like this one holds on it's own. Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've completely just sold me on reading this book! I think I remember putting this on my to be read list a while a go but I completely forgot about it. Now it sounds like a really interesting story! And a sci fi remake setting? I love sci fi remakes haha.

    I love that the romance sounds in depth and believable and not just childs play.

    Jordon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0