Thursday, June 25, 2015 20:04

Cinderella book tag.

cinderellabooktagI was tagged by Rosie from Rosie Reads and this is perfect for my blog! Created by Tiffany from About to read.

Cinderella is not my favorite fairytale, but I always admire the message in this story. Some people think she is weak and spineless, but I think she has bravery in her own way. You have to be strong to hold on to kindness if people always try to put you down. And I don’t think it’s hard to understand why she suffered through her treatment; she just wanted to be loved.

Enough rambling, on to the tag!
EVIL STEPSISTERS.
tumblr_m8jt6kCuHV1r21szho3_500
A book with characters you hate.
This question can go both ways: I hate the main characters and the book or I just hate some characters. I could think of Harry Potter and then point out Umbridge, but in this case I go with Katherine Ewell – Dear Killer. I hated her clients (‘please kill off my husband, I love him, but I need the money’) and the unrealistic Killer who tries to act like she is a freaking Angel. 


PRINCE CHARMING

 zolushka_3
A book with a gentleman.
I thought long and hard about this question and I’m going with Dane from Stitching Snow by R.C Lewis. He has fallen in love with Essie, but she is not yet on the same level and he takes a step back to give her time. If that isn’t the perfect gentleman move (at the same time also something normal you would expect, but we have our fair share of assholes in stories), I don’t know what is. 

CINDERELLA
tumblr_n5f863EpKM1tqs69bo1_500

A character that is graceful, kind and defiant.
I’m going with Agnieszka from Uprooted by Naomi Novik. She had the right amount of sass. She is clumsy, always messy and she always manage to get on the Dragon’s nerve. So she might not be graceful, but definitely kind and defiant. 

FAIRY GODMOTHER

tumblr_n1kw1tOKtd1s0ooi0o7_500

A character that always has someone looking out for them.
I think Lucy from Not a drop to drink is a good example. Mindy McGinnis wrote a perfect Dystopian duology about a world where people fight for water. Lucy comes into the protection of Lynn and these two have such a strong bond at the end of the book.
 

HELPFUL CREATURES
Cinderella-cinderella-22344925-499-374

Something that makes you happy when you’re sad.
I could go a different way and surprise you with something unexpected, but I think it’s save to say that Disney and fairytale retellings always manage to cheer me up. There is something magical about both of them and no matter how bad I feel, a Disney movie can brighten my day.

ASHES
tumblr_mck4p4o3S91qakh43o1_500

A book you didn’t care for.
I have a few books I read this year that I didn’t care for, but the first one I could think of is Emancipated by M.G Reyes. Instead of the promised mystery I got stuck with clich├ęd characters and too many switching POV’s with the same voice.

PUMPKIN
tumblr_lkh83lrgIi1qi4ns0o1_500

A character with a transformation.
Gia from The fill-in boyfriend showed a lot of development. She started out as a pretty shallow girl; desperate for likes on social media and attention from her friends. She was terrible to people who were ‘different’, so overall a bit of a mean girl. This all changes and suddenly she is aware of her horrible behaviour. I thought it was great how she slowly changes and becomes someone she can be proud of.  

IMPOSSIBLE
Tumblr_static_cinderella_dress_transformation_gif

A book with an ending you didn’t see coming.
Elizabeth May – The falconer. One word: CRUEL. SO CRUEL.

JUST BREATHE

 tumblr_nl4d2pUrVB1qf6rvbo1_500[3]
Something that inspires you to be courageous.
I’m not going with something, but with someone and that is Amy from Say what you will. Cammie McGovern wrote such an inspiring story about a girl who has to deal with cerebral palsy. It opened my eyes.

HAPPILY EVER AFTER
tumblr_m9bygwdH1P1rr5v6ko1_500

A book with a perfect ending.
This book not only had the perfect ending for the story, but also for one of my all time favorite series. Robin LaFevers is a genius and Mortal Heart rocked. All the stories, from Grave Mercy and Dark Triumph, finally came together in a mind-blowing conclusion and it was all I could have ever asked for.

I tag:
Christina from Christina reads YA.
Debby from Snuggly Oranges.
If you are interested.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

21 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is a fun sounding tag!! I TOTALLY agree about Dear Killer. Ergh. What I didn't understand was, if she left behind the death-wish-letter at the scene of the crime, then how come the clients didn't get arrested and jailed?? It all pointed pretty heavily that they wanted their families dead right?! (And if it did get them put in prison, why did people keep hiring Kit?!) Ahem. Sorry >_< This just keeps playing on my mind!

    RETELLINGS ARE THE BEST THOUGH. <3 I'm going to read Beastly next month! so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book was filled with plot holes. I don't even want to think about it anymore, haha.

      Delete
  2. Isn't this the perfect tag for you? I just sadly can't relate with most of the books, except for Uprooted. XD I'd have to agree with you there. She optimistically did everything she could for what she thought was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the moment I saw it I was all 'HELL YES'

      Delete
  3. This was a really fun tag and I LOVED reading your answers Mel!! That being said, I've hardly read ANY of the books you listed here D: I have read Grave Mercy and finally got a review copy for Uprooted so that one will be one of my next reads but other than that I'm sadly ignorant about these^^ I do own the Falconer and Stitching Snow though, and I want to read Not A Drop to Drink! This was a lot of fun all the same :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, this tag sounds really fun! I'm sure this tag suited your blog very well - I loved the Fill In Boyfriend and the transformation of Gia was amazing. I loved Uprooted as well <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't finished Uprooted yet but I met Agnieszka and I absolutely love her already! Love your answers to these, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I thought long and hard about this question and I’m going with Dane from Stitching Snow by R.C Lewis. "

    YES YES YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tag! Love it. I loved the Not a drop to drink duology. Lynn was such a bad ass and I loved how much she took care of Lynn. And retellings are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gooorgeous post Mel :D You are adorable. And I love all your answers so much. Yay for Disney movies making you feel better. <3 They do for me too. And ugh, yesss. Mortal Heart had such an amazing ending :) I adored that book. So happy that you did too. Thank you for sharing this precious sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mortal Heart *dreamy sigh* amazingamazing series.

      Delete
  9. I have a long-overdue ARC of Dear Killer in my Kindle and yeah... not so excited about it anymore. And you don't see to be the only one who didn't like the book that much, too, so I'll probably end up skipping it even though I hate skipping out on ARCs. Characters who think they're God's gift to mankind tick me off, too, especially if they're not supposed to be that way.

    More Uprooted! I really need to get to that book asap. I've heard that Agnieszka can be a little cliche at times, though.

    "I think it’s save to say that Disney and fairytale retellings always manage to cheer me up." -- Why am I not surprised to hear this? Hehe. ;)

    I have yet to be sucked into Kasie West's world of contemporary. I've read On the Fence by her and liked it, but it wasn't spectacular and I've heard so much about how she writes really good contemporary books. So I'm looking forward to The Fill-In Boyfriend! I love it when characters like Gia go through such astonishing transformations. It really helps you connect with them on a deeper level.

    For the courage category -- I WANTED TO GO WITH AMY FROM SAY WHAT YOU WILL. It was such a close tie between Amy and Alex, but in the end Alex won. But I loved Amy in Say What You Will, too. Despite being crippled and unable to talk properly, she never gave up, and that speaks so much to me. The romance between her and Matthew was sweet as well, and the ending kind of broke my heart a little, but DAMMIT the book was so honest and raw and powerful. Made You Up was like that as well, which is why I absolutely loved it too. All these inspiring characters, man. I can't get enough of them!

    I have both Grave Mercy and Dark Triumph on my shelf and I can't wait to read it especially since the ending for the series will be good. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do yourself a favor. Most of them time I'm all for 'try this book yourself' but Dear Killer is horrible. I thought Agnieszka was really refreshing!

      Haha, yes, I'm sometimes so unpredictable :p

      I also liked On the fence, but The fill-in boyfriend did it for me.

      Delete
  10. Aww, oh I agree about Cinderella. She's not my fave either, but I do think she has her own form of bravery. Fun post, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you love how the new Cinderella emphasizes her strength in staying kind?? I looooved that. :)

    This is the perfect tag for you! :) And in scrolling through your recent posts, it's clear you loved Stitching Snow--which I had kind of written off. I'll have to go back and read it now, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mortal Heart was such a great conclusion! I agree - she brought everything together in the best way. Love the friendship between the girls and of course the romances.
    I haven't read The Falconer yet because I heard about the ending! I gotta wait for the second book haha.
    Love that you chose Gia for character transformation - she grows SO much in the book, but it's done subtly too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for doing my tag! I haven't read Stitching Snow yet, but I would like to get to it at some point in the future. I wasn't too crazy about Emancipated either. It just wasn't that memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you are the creator, but I will add it to the information :D Thanks for making the tag!

      Delete
  14. SO MUCH YES to Mortal Heart as the perfect happy ending! And also to Agnieszka from Uprooted. Although definitely not graceful, she is both kind and defiant, and oh so amazing. And for sure agree with Gia from The Fill-In Boyfriend for the transformation. I loved that she became aware of how terrible her viewpoint on life was, that the likes and popularity weren't what was important. It was a slow progress at times, but it felt really real to her character, and relatable to what many teens go through. Also, loved Dane from Stitching Snow! He was very much a gentleman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. excellent tag :) I especially like the gifs. But more than that - I love your point in the beginning about about how Cinderella is not spineless or weak - that it takes incredible wherewithal to remain kind in the midst of hardship. I think the new Disney movie coneys that much better than the animated version.

    Also, Gia was great character growth in The Fill In Boyfriend. I spent half the novel only liking her intermittently but then I was glad to see her grow and become more interesting :) I don't think I've read any of the other books you mention... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0