Personal | Reader problems tag.

I was tagged by Reviews of a bookworm. This tag was created by Tiffany on her About To Read YouTube channel. This was a long time ago, so it's about time I catch up with these tags. I tag whoever wants to do this tag.

1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
That is a combination of: my mood and how many review copies I have left. I always read several books at the same time, so I try to pick at least one book I feel like reading and one book I have to read to stay on top of my review books. 20,000 is a lot though.. I guess I would separate all those books in genre piles and then I would randomly pick a book that will suit my mood.

2. You're halfway through a book and you're just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?That depends on the type of book, source and how many pages there are.  If it’s a book in a series I might continue, but a stand-alone will be DNF-ed without second thoughts. If I got the book as a present or for review I give it more time and chance. It also depends how far I'm in. Let's say I'm already over half of the book I will skim through the pages, because I already invested time in the story and I want to know how it ends. Most of the times I DNF a book earlier than halfway though, because I can easily spot if a book works for me or not.


3. The end of the year is coming and you're so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?
How ‘so close yet so far’ am I? If it’s 5 books I will try to read short and easy books. If you are looking at 10 books I will just try my hardest, but I’m going to push myself. I love the Goodreads challenge and it’s fun to push myself to read as many books as I can, but if I don’t make it to my set goal I also don’t mind. Reading is a hobby and something I do for fun; I don’t want to stress over it.

4. The covers of a series you love do not match. How do you cope?
First reaction:
tumblr_inline_n81knr2RTP1rqllxo

Then I might go over in:
tumblr_inline_na1kizeZhq1ro2d43

And a little:
tumblr_n7shsoR0w31revk8bo1_500

But eventually I will settle down:
tumblr_inline_ne8gy583zj1t2m9ry

Most of the times I’m that kind of person that doesn’t care about matching covers. My bookshelves hold a mix of series with different covers, sizes and editions. I would love to have matching covers, but at the same time I’m a bargain hunter and I always buy the cheapest book; even if it means it doesn’t fit with the rest of the series. It has a certain charm. I always try to have my favorite series the same though and I find it hard to accept when publishers mess up a series, like, I wouldn’t have been able to handle an ugly cover for Winter (Marissa Meyer) or Queen of Shadows (Sarah J. Maas).

5. Everyone and their mothers love a book you really don't like. Who do you bond with over their shared feelings?
Probably Goodreads and Twitter, the best places to find someone who shares my opinion There is NEVER EVER going to be a book that everybody loves, so I think I’ll be able to find someone to talk to. At least I hope so, because sometimes it can feel a little lonely when everyone is raving about a book - and you just don't get it.

6. You're reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?
I rarely cry when it comes to books. The amount of books that made me cry can be counted on one hand, so I don’t see this happen. But if I ever come in that situation, I think I will go to a place to get myself back together, like the toilet.

7. A sequel of a book you love just came out, but you've forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?
I feel blessed with my memory, because when it comes to books I always remember a lot. Tiny details might have slipped away over time, but I’m always able to recall the big line. The first thing I would do is read my notebook. I write down notes and summaries for books (which I use for my reviews on the blog) Next up is scrolling through Goodreads, most of the times there are a couple of reviews with spoiler tags that give important details. I am a re-reader though, so I might just go ahead and re-read the book for fun!

9. Reading ADD. You've picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?
I don’t have many reading slumps, I can’t even remember the last time I had one. Sure, sometimes you have a couple of books that don’t work for you, but I don’t see that as a terrible problem. I also have times where I'm more in the mood to do something else, but I don't really count that as a slump either. I guess I would pick up an old favorite book or a fairytale.

11. After you've bought the new books you can't wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?
It depends on the book. If it’s a sequel to a series I love, I will read it right away. If it’s a stand-alone or the start of a new series, it can take a while before I pick it up. Sometimes because I’m scared it will disappoint or sometimes just because I’m too busy with other books.

21 comments

  1. Oh, I so understand your answers. My tbr is about 80 books, 20.000 would be a total chaos, I wouldn't even know where to stock them, haha xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My TBR pile is around 400 and it's stressing me out already, imagine 20.000! It would be cool to have a place large enough to hold such an amount though, haha.

      Delete
  2. I'm a bargain shopper too! I always look for the cheapest edition and buy that one, regardless on whether or not it matches the rest of the series. I would like to buy matching formats for my favorite series but money doesn't allow for that right now haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, you gotta work with the money you have!

      Delete
  3. I love this post Mel. <3 Thank you so much for sharing sweetie :D Eeek. You are amazing. And I agree with so much of this, hih :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. High fives for all your answers! I like the way you answered them and I find myself agreeing with all of them - except for maybe #2. I find that I am completely unable to DNF books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the whole DNF yes/no discussion always so fascinating :D

      Delete
  5. This is a fun Q & A, Mel! I'm with you on rarely crying at books. I may get a little chin-wobble now and then, but only a few actually make me cry! :D Maybe I should try your advice on #5--although I have the opposite problem, I seem to love books that everyone hates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teary eyes happen every now and then, but full-on crying is rare for me!

      Delete
  6. LOVE these posts so YAY for catching up on this one Mell^^ I *think* I did this one too a while back, I'll have to check though and if not, I'll likely do up a post too :) Your answers more or less fit with me as well, which is cool. I love my memory when it comes to books too - I might forget smaller details like you said, but the big important stuff sticks. And usually a sequel has a few reminders of what happened before so that's all I need! I used to reread bunches but I don't do it as much now that I have the blog. I can never get ahead on reviews enough to take the time for it. I really need to though. As far as the matching covers, we agree there too! Favorite series MUST match but for others, I'm not too precious about it. Maybe if I was rich, I could afford for them all to match but that's not the case (yet hehe)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *HIGH FIVE for good memory* It's so handy :)

      Delete
  7. I do the same for picking out books to read! I usually stick with one "I just feel like reading it" book, and one review copy that has a closer release date. :) And those cover-change reaction GIFs are spot on. Especially the one about smashing faces. For sequels coming out, I usually just go headfirst into the sequel, even if I can't remember anything from the first book. There are bound to be tidbits of important things to remember in the book. Or if they have a recap, I check out The Recaptains. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that it's the best way to keep me up-to-date with review copies without getting burned out on them :)

      Delete
  8. I'm totally a mood reader. I don't always follow a schedule, and if I do, it's quite begrudgingly :P I only keep a schedule for XPressoReads though which I don't mind because I myself applied for that! Otherwise, I'd put them under different demographics and then categorize them under different genres each! Sometimes, I want to read an MG adventure, or a YA Fantasy, or an Adult PR, you know what I mean? It fluctuates a lot! And I'm a total crybaby. I cried so many times over books! Usually if it becomes too overwhelming, I'd just stop reading because I don't wanna look like a lunatic fringe in public! Haha. I usually remember a lot from the books I read, too! That, or reread my reviews.

    Faye at <a href="http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm sometimes in the mood where I ONLY want to read that specific genre.

      Delete
  9. hahah number 4! My reactions exactly.
    Man, so lucky that you have a great bookish memory! Mine is terrible, and a lot of the time I'll go back and reread a book before reading sequels (also just because I want to excuse to reread the book if it's a good one haha)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely quiz Mel! Yeah, definitely GR And Twitter will help us bond over popular books we don't like, like 50 Shades. Hehe No. 6, I've definitely been caught with that on the bus! I just nonchalantly wipe the tears away and hope no one notices! I read based on my mood as well hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOU USED GIFS OF THE OFFICE AND I LOVE THE OFFICE OMG. ONE MORE REASON TO ENJOY YOUR POSTS!!

    Also, I do cry a lot with books and sometimes I cry in the bus while reading and I try to subtly wipe away tears, hahahaha

    And I agree on the not pushing yourself on the reading challenge, it's supposed to be fun rather than stressing!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaaaay, I loved The Office. I binge-watched the entire series last year :D

      Delete
  12. I'm the same with remembering things from books! I mostly remember the plot and some details that stand out, and I never really needed to reread or check Recaptains or something. But covers are not matching are the bane of my existence. Let us never speak of the horror again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading your answers to these Mel but your answer to #4 made me laugh out loud. Love the use of Michael gifs! I need my series to match and it really bothers me when publishers redesign a cover in a series and don't go back and redesign the earlier books. Even if I hate the redesign, I need them to match. It sounds like your bookshelf has a lot of character though - It would look weird if I had one cover out of whack but if the whole bookshelf was a mix of different editions/covers/formats - I actually think that could be really cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.