Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:52

Review 216. Mira Grant – Feed.

7094569Title: Feed.
Author: Mira Grant.
Pages: 599.
Published: May 1st 2010 by Orbit.
Sort: Feed #1.
The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected.
The truth will get out, even if it kills them.
Rating:

Nobody warned me about all the feelings in this book. I highly recommend that you DON’T read the blurb for the second book. I was warned by Wendy in time, because it contains a big spoiler for a twist that happens in this book. I must admit that it took me some time to get along with this story and characters. The beginning is awfully slow and I had to adjust to Mira’s writing-style. It’s a bit dense, but halfway I was completely sucked into the book and I couldn’t put it down. It’s admirable how she crafted the story.

This review is spoiler-free.

We follow the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse, called the Rising, through the eyes of blog journalists Georgia Mason and her brother Shaun. Georgia and her team join the presidential campaign from Republican senator Peter Ryman. They get involved with deadly incidents, which leads them to the discovery of a conspiracy. I already saw what was going on and who was behind it, but it didn’t matter for the enjoyment and pain I had at the ending.

The world-building is interesting. Humans live in tightly controlled safe zones and you need special passes to get into certain areas. Bloggers have taken over as primary source of information. There are three important types: Newsies, like Georgia, who make reports based on facts. Irwins, like her brother Shaun, who entertain and educate by ‘poking things with sticks’ and Fictionals, like their friend Buffy, who write fictional content. The focus on bloggers was a nice addition.

We get explanations how the zombies arose and this information in sprinkled throughout the story via blog posts from Georgia and her brother Shaun. My microbiology heart was happy. The medical aspect is simply amazing and blew me away. It’s sometimes hard to give a story a realistic background, but Mira excelled in it. The principle is that there are two cures, one for cancer and one for the common cold. These cures combined to form Kellis-Amberlee, a quickly infecting virus that goes live or amplifies when someone dies or gets bitten. I liked how these plausible explanations changed this book from ‘just another zombie story’ to something more.

I loved Georgia and Shaun, and more specific: their relationship. They grew up as brother and sister in a not-so-loving family. Mother and father are too busy with their career, but these two have a special, strong bond. The teasing showed how much they cared about each other. It’s not that I felt connected to them, but I got wrapped up in their lives and I was worried about them. Spoiler: AND THEN YOUR HEART IS SHATTERED AND YOU HAVE ALL THESE FEELINGS. DAMN YOU MIRA GRANT The alternative ending wasn't any better... The author doesn't shy away from shocking twists and brutal situations, but I was surprised that the story never felt too dark. Yes, there are zombies and yes, there is bloodshed, but the overall tone isn’t depressing. Perhaps because the main focus isn’t on the undead, but on the conspiracy. I think people who tend to dislike zombie books will be able to enjoy this too.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

37 comments:

  1. Yay! Another person who's read Feed! It's one of my favourite books of all time; I read it last year and it broke me. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,this book sounds pretty intriguing.I am surprised that I've never heard of this book before.
    I am not a fan of post apocalyptic science fiction,but I've really loved some books in that genre,so I occasionally try some books in that genre.This one looks interesting,and I just added it to my TBR.
    Great review,Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a great book if you are looking to branch out, Mishma :)

      Delete
  3. Possible heart shattering due to this book’s awesomeness?! I’m definitely in. I’ve been reading lots of awesome, rave reviews for Feed but for some reason I’m ignoring the call. I will look out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope you'll like it as much as I did.

      Delete
  4. I just can't do zombie books. And I am secretly amused that you, Fairytale Mel, have this dark zombie side. I guess classic fairy tales are pretty dark? In any case, I'm glad you loved this but I'm not sure I can read it...
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I sometimes do love gory, bloody and dark books ;)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read a lot of books with zombies but I'm actually interested in this one a lot because of the focus on bloggers as only way of communication! *-*

    Ps. I tagged you here :3 -> http://frannieinthepages.blogspot.it/2015/02/candy-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazingly wonderful review. I have been considering this series for far too long now and still haven't got to it. Clearly I was waiting for a review as glowing as yours to convince me that I need to go and buy this book as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm interested -- I simply have not read enough books of this nature, and this one sounds like a good place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YESSSS i am so glad you love one of my favourite books EVER. There is so much depth to them and the relationship between George and Shaun as well as the focus on blogging, all amazing! Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first glance this one looks like a book a little out of your usual, but after reading your review, it fits. I'm not a zombie lover so I wouldn't normally pick this one up, but I like that you say that because it focuses on the conspiracy and not as much the zombies that readers like me should like it. I'll have to add it to my tbr. Thanks for your review, Mel!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes like to go with darker books and this appeals to me, because of my background :) I hope you give it a shot Tressa!

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous review Mel :D I'm so glad you loved this book so much! Despite it having a slow start, ack. But at least you didn't give up on it :D I don't think this book is for me.. but maybe one day. <3 You do make it sound pretty exciting :D Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. ZOMBIES. The last good zombie book I read was The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey, and that one had a pretty slow beginning, too. Actually, the book was kind of like a rollercoaster -- slow at some parts, but then action-packed and epic at others. But in the end, I ended up loving it because of its creativity. So I'm glad that you felt the same with Feed!

    I already love that the story is told from a sort of different perspective -- bloggers. Most of the time it's normal high-school teenagers who suddenly become kickass at fighting zombies, so I like how different this sounds. And one of the most interesting things about zombie books are how the apocalypse happened in the first place. That's probably the part that fascinates me the most, because authors can come up with SO many unique ideas. I'm glad that the explanation here made you happy. ;)

    Hmm, I'm not sure what I think about the book not being as dark as you expected (because I tend to enjoy darker books better), but I guess it's a refreshing shift of focus, and conspiracies can be pretty dang interesting as well. At least Mira Grant didn't shy away from gory situations, though. That's important. xD You've had me convinced! This book has been on my tbr for a while now, but for some reason I just never really felt the strong urge to read it yet. NOW I DO. Haha, great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girl with all the gifts was AMAZING too. I also like that it's not some kind of superninja teenager, because it gave the story a lot of depth and information without having info-dumps :)

      Delete
  12. Yeah, I know what you mean by the slow pace at the beginning and the writing style... I tried this one not too long ago and was seriously dozing after a few pages that I had given it up! But I like that you were able to like it (or love it? Haha!) after a while. That gives me hope so much. I feel like giving this another chance now, and yes, bloggers in a zombie world definitely makes an interesting and intriguing story! I wonder how it's like, to make fresh content while making sure your flesh doesn't get eaten at the same time? XDD

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to give it a chance by going on, because ti's worth it :D Haha, I don't want to imagine what it must feel like :p

      Delete
  13. I have this book and the second one--bought when I saw Wendy talking about them on Twitter. Your review reminds me that I need to start Feed soon. It sounds just like the kind of story I would enjoy--and I like the idea of bloggers featuring in the book. I'm also so intrigued by the zombie worlds author create! Thanks for this review, Mel! -Katie at Bookish Illuminations

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard of this one from one of the girls on TBTB blog and I've heard such good things! I appreciate the warning to not read the summary bc I like to go into things PRETTY blind! Also, good to know it starts slow. I LOVE ZOMBIES THOUGH. Would you think this is a good one for audio or print?

    I think it's so cool that bloggers are a big part of this book! YAY BLOGGERS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audio books don't work for me.. I know Debby (Snuggly Oranges) listened to the audio and she liked it!

      Delete
  15. I'm not often compelled to read zombie books but A LOT of people have loved this series so I'm thinking I need to give it a shot. I'll take note of the slow start but I'm definitely loving the medical touch since that ties into my background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious how you would feel about the book, but I think you will appreciate the story!

      Delete
  16. Oooh! This looks really interesting, I haven't heard of this one :) I'm not sure how I feel about zombie apocalypses but I'm going to give to a go because it looks so damn good! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay bloggers!! That's so cool to have them featured like that :) I recall hearing great things about this book in the past, and your review definitely reminds me and clinches it: I absolutely need to read this. I'm pretty sure I would love it! And the medical aspect really intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh I really have to read this book soon! I keep hearing such great things, and I even bought it! Thanks for the heads-up about the second book's synopsis (incidentally, WHY do they do that!? I have seen other series do the same, and it is really annoying). Great review, I am so excited to read this!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know! It's terrible when you spoil yourself in such a way.

      Delete
  19. This was hands down my favourite series of last year. It was SO. GOOD. I wish I could make everyone read it...I never thought I was a zombie person (turns out I am, actually) but I think even not zombie lovers would find something in this series. AND THAT ENDING. Have you read the rest of the series yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. I'm not in the mood for slow-paced at the moment, but I can't wait to pick it up soon :)

      Delete
  20. I have seen this book around, and thought that it looked quite interesting, but I never gave it a second glance. Now I think I just might :D It sounds like a totally unique twist on the zombie story, and the fact that it features bloggers is totally awesome.

    I love sibling relationships in books, so I have a feeling I would like the relationship between Shaun and Georgia.

    Lovely review, Mel ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  21. WASN'T IT DEVASTATING, OH MY GOD. *cries forever* I gotta tell you, Mel, I am so so so excited that you loved this as much as I did (I had many of the same reactions, including having trouble with the style at first), and I have to say, I love the second even more. MORE surprises, MORE heartbreak, ahhhh! Hurry up and read so I can stalk you, please.

    I'm glad I warned you in time, too. But isn't it awful that they did that on the blurb of the second book?! There was no need for that. :(

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read Parasite by her, and it was definitely very interesting too. She gave me chills! I've always wanted to read more by her, and I'm so interested in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really need to read this book and start on the series! I have only read a few zombie books, but this one sounds like it really is exceptional and I am glad to see you were able to like it so much. On the TBR!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0