Saturday, February 28, 2015 01:00

Monthly recap | February '15. Valentine.

recap
This post recaps my month, from personal life to books I’ve read & bought, movies and TV shows I’ve seen and links to posts that interest me.


OUAT1
Real-life.
A lot happened, but here are the most memorable moments:
We went out to dinner (SUSHI) with a large group of 12 people. I love sushi and I loved the company, so we had a great time. They added baked banana’s to their menu and I couldn’t stop eating those; so tasty!

Valentine’s day was nice. We normally don’t celebrate it. I surprised my boyfriend however, by taking him out for a special Valentine’s dinner. The restaurant used to be an inn, so the inside looks fantastic and they had helium balloons bound to the candle holders and rose petals spread on the table. There was live music and the food was delicious with a lot of variety. We finished the date with a walk along the old city and watching TV shows on bed until late in the night.
      I also ate pannenkoeken at the beach with my parents, boyfriend, sister and her boyfriend. I had a pizza night with my boyfriend and sister after my thesis defense.  My sister and her boyfriend came over to my boyfriend's apartment for dinner and we had, of course, one of those 'nailed it' moments. We tried to make a meal from a delicious looking recipe, but it looked like shit, haha. Luckily, it was quite tasty and we had a nice evening.

And I ended this month with another great book club meeting where I ate Korean food for the first time.


Internship.
123IT IS OVER. FINISHED.  I had my defense. I was so nervous, but I made it! 

I felt very loved that day, with surprise flowers from my boyfriend (see picture), a chocolate bar and flowers from my grandparents.

I still have to add some extra information to my thesis before I get my grade, so that is a bit nerve-wrecking, but the most important part is done!

On Monday I start my last 4 months of internship at another place (hospital where I'm going to work as analyst on the Microbiology lab) So exciting and scary.


Read1
13. Marissa Meyer - Fairest. 4/5.
14. Sharon Biggs Waller - A mad, wicked folly. 4.5/5.
15. Jessica Paige - Chasing ravens. 3/5.
16. Marie Rutkoski - Bridge of snow. 3/5. (Novella)
17. Maria V. Snyder - Shadow study. 4/5.
18. Juliet Marillier – Dreamer’s pool. 4/5.
19. R.C Lewis – Stitching Snow. 5/5.
20. Robin LaFevers – Grave Mercy. 5+/5. (Reread)
21. Claire Legrand - Winterspell. 3/5.
22. Claire Legrand - Homecoming. 4/5. (Novella)

egsdsdg
TV SHOWS.
The 100: I’m finally catching up with the second season and what a twists! I’m on episode 7.
Galavant: Hilarious. I’m in love. If you like musicals or Disney because of it’s songs, this is definitely a series for you. I’m on episode 2 now.
Dexter: This series is addictive. I can’t stop thinking about it and it’s so thrilling. I always want to know more, more, more. I finished season 2 and 3.
New Girl, The Musketeers and Big Bang Theory: up-to-date.

MOVIES.
Taken 2: wasn’t as good as the first movie, but enough action scenes to make it fast-paced.
Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day: The little kid annoyed me and there wasn’t enough Steve Carrel for my taste. I would say it’s a no good, not terrible, okay movie.
Chef: It made me so hungry.
The happening: NO WAY. –insert rant- This movie is filled with bullshit about a virus, which is actually later explained as hormone produced by trees, that make people commit suicide in the most strangest ways. NOT POSSIBLE. And the crap ‘we also don’t know how it happened and why it suddenly stopped’ doesn’t work. –end rant- Don’t. Watch. Netflix.
Horrible bosses 2: Love it. Their humor really works for me. I think I liked it just as much as the first one. Jennifer Anniston as sex addict is hilarious.
White chicks: I’ve watched this movie a couple of times and it never fails me make me laugh. Netflix.
Shrek the musical: Much more fun than I anticipated! The humor was great. Available on Netflix.
fssgd
Reread: 2/10.
TBR pile: 11/40.
Flights of fantasy: 6/30.
Mission impossible: 2/10.
Bingo card: 15 squares/45.
Book haul
Marissa Meyer – Cress, I already owned a copy but I had to get this edition, because my blog name is mentioned. (!!!)
Victoria Schwab – Vicious, because I’m starting to get addicted to her writing and this book sounds amazing and I also got The unbound.
Maggie Haul – The conspiracy of us, won from Becky. It sounds so good!
My package from HarperCollins came in the mail and I received Gabel & Klam - Etherworld, MarcyKate Connolly - Monstrous and Between the covers volume 2.
Robin Talley – Lies we tell ourselves ARC from Debby.

Vicious1212345

My book buying ban isn't going all to well. My next haul is going to be huge, because I won the major giveaway in the Love-a-thon that Alexa hosted and I already ordered a couple of books for myself. I think I must set some strict rules for the next few months.. Or I'll never be able to lower my TBR pile.
dingamebobs
This is something new I want to add to my monthly recaps. You can always find tons of links to interesting posts on Christina reads YA and I thought it would be fun to highlight some articles and news that interest me. It is divided in Whozits (random stuff with gadgets and gismos for YT and scientific articles) and Whatzits (bookish).

Whozits.
-Funko is going to release 7 magical figures from Harry Potter. Take all my money!

Gadgets and gismos.
-This Youtube channel has amazing videos like HP in 99 seconds - and Ever wondered what happened after the happily-ever-after from Ariel, Jasmine, Belle and Pocahontas? After ever after. Or you might be more interested in Mulan, Cinderella, Tiana and Elsa in After ever after 2.
-Two deleted scenes from Game of Thrones season 4 were released.
-Disney villains sing Counting stars together, with stars like Jafar, Hades, Maleficent and Cruella.
-A breakthrough in the research for a treatment of Parkinson's disease: a peptide that sticks to the protein that kills the brain cells. This highlights a new approach to slow the progress. Sciencedaily.
-An outbreak of measles in the UK, because people withhold their children from vaccinations.. Student science.
-Movie trailers that peeked my interest are A little ChaosThe voicesFantastic FourAnt manSpyPlaying it coolAvengers age of UltronStrange MagicMadam Bovery, a new Tom Hiddleston movie.

Whatzits.
-Disney is releasing Twisted Tales by Liz Braswell. The first book is set for September 1st 2015 and will be a retelling of Aladdin. A whole new world. In the same theme: Melissa de la Cruz about Disney villains. The isle of the lost sounds amazing.
-The cover from Spinning Starlight by R.C Lewis, author from Stitching Snow, is so pretty. I also really appreciate the cover from A madness so discreet by Mindy McGinnis, the author who wrote one of my favorite Dystopian duologies Not a drop to drink. Leigh Bardugo had her cover reveal for too Six of crows. Followed by Susan Ee’s cover reveal and excerpt for the End of days.
-Maggie Stiefvater continued to destroy our hearts after the Title Reveal for The Raven King with Tweets.

How was your month? What did you read? What did you see? Did you like the articles and are you interested to see this in the next monthly recap?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

52 comments:

  1. AWww congrats on finishing your internship and your boyfriend sounds like a keeper, I'm glad you guys got to celebrate Valentines day! Taken 2 was so cheesy wasn't it, and 3 looks even worse in that respect! So glad to hear you enjoyed Fairest as well. Sushi is my favourite food EVER! I need all of those HP Funko pops in my life. Really fantastic recap post Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh what a fun month! Congrats on finishing your internship, it must feel so awesome! And I'm a huuuge fan of Korean food. :) Aaack, I really need to read GRAVE MERCY! And lol I saw White Chicks a few months ago and that movie is insane and hilarious. Looks like you had a fab month, I hope March is just as wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read REAL Korean food sometime, this felt more like regular food. Have a great March!

      Delete
  3. Awww, your valentine's day sounds adorable! (Also, just want to congtatulate you on your impressive use of Disney titles. Very clever!)
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thanks. It took me some time to come up with them and I'm quite pleased with them :D

      Delete
  4. Februrary is a really good month for you, wasn't it? Congrats on finishing your internship! I knew you could do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it was a pretty good month!
    The musketeers is always soo good and now I'm almost finished with catching up the 1st season of the 100!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meek! Sounds like you had an amazing month Mel. <3 Yay for finally being done with that internship :D Best of luck with the new one; hope it will go amazingly. <3 And yay for reading so many books :D But aw. Only three stars to Winterspell? :( I hope you didn't fully hate it.. hih. <3 curious to read your thoughts about it :) And yay for catching up to The 100 :D Such an amazing series. <3 And ohh. I have a recommendation to you. Have you watched Gotham? :D I watched it this week, and really enjoyed it. <3 currently 17 episodes out, and it's pretty amazing. Anyway. Happy reading Mel. <3 I hope March will be all kinds of amazing for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I have not watched Gotham, YET, but I reallyreally want to watch it soon!

      Delete
  7. EEEK. Your blog got mentioned on Cinder? That is so freaking awesome :) Your Velntine's Day sound lovely!

    Also, Disney villains singing my favourite soung? Count me in! *clicks link to check it out*

    Nirvana @ Quenching the Quill

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATSSSS ON FINISHING THAT INTERNSHIP, MEL! February sounded amazing for you! Keeping rocking at it. I've been meaning to start Galavant but have been apprehensive, due to the musical element. I might just have to cave though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of Asian food! That was really nice of you to surprise your boyfriend. And congrats on your thesis and defense; that’s one the biggest thing to handle in college (as well as the internship of course!). And you made it, pat yourself on the back. You deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, I'm quite happy how everything turned out :)!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on defending your thesis and finishing your internship Mel! You are AMAZING! And best of luck with your new internship although I know you will do great <3 I love all of your new book additions and this whozitz and whatzitz addition. I am totally singing Part of This World in my head right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Valentine's Day sounds lovely, Mel! Glad you guys had a good time. And best of luck with your new internship. I hope it's a great experience for you. <3
    So happy you loved Stitching Snow! Such an underrated gem.
    I hope the month of March treats you well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I don't understand all the Stitching Snow hate :(

      Delete
  12. New Girl and the 100 YESSSSSSSS. Those roses are beautiful Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on being mentioned in Cress! That's quite an accomplishment!
    You had the same rating as me for Fairest. :-)
    Happy March reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad that February was another great month for you Mel! I really need to get myself a copy of A Mad, Wicked, Folly, I have heard great things for that book, so I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it too. I haven't been that great at sticking to my book buying ban either, but there's so many great books that just need to be bought! And congratulations on your win, I look forward to seeing all your new books next month. I hope March is a great reading month for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, I thought it was a very thought provoking story :)

      Delete
  15. Congrats on finishing your internship! And I wish you the best of luck at starting the new one! And yay for Valentine's Day! I'm glad you had an awesome time, the setting sounds amazing!

    Lies We Tell Ourselves was really good! I enjoyed it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love fake sushi (as in California rolls), but I'm not allowed to eat sushi with raw fish. Internships actually sound like a ton of fun, even if they are a bit stressful. Congrats on finishing yours! I must read A Mad, Wicked Folly and Stitching Snow, so I'm glad you enjoyed both of those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you allergic to fish or does it have another reason?

      Delete
  17. Aww Mel your February sounded awesome and full of such fun times. :') You've accomplished so much, and congrats on your new internship! Wishing you all the best. :) YASS Grave Mercy is the best ever, I'm so happy you liked it. And YAY for catching up on TV shows and seeing some great movies. Thanks for sharing, Mel! Love this post. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it feels like I have done nothing in a month, but when I look back I still manage to come up with quite some highlights :p

      Delete
  18. Seems like you had an awesome month in real life, Mel! Bonding with family is fabulous.

    Ahh, it must be awesome to have your blog name in Cress! Loved that book. ;D Vicious looks fabulous, and I need to get a hardcover of The Unbound to match my copy of The Archived. The Conspiracy of Us is also gorgeous. Want!

    Definitely love your new addition to your recaps! The section title is adorable! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family time is the most important thing in life :)

      Delete
  19. Whee, congrats on getting your defense done! It's such a nerve-racking experience.

    You got Vicious! I hope you love it, Mel. I also really liked The Conspiracy of Us.

    Yeah, I love Taken and Taken 2 is nowhere near the awesomeness of Taken.

    Loving the whozits and whatzits addition! And eeep, The Isle of the Lost sounds amazing and the cover of A Madness So Discreet is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicious is a candidate for our book club pick in April, so I hope to read it soon :D

      Delete
  20. Looks like you had a great February Mel!
    And I am so happy that you kicked ass with your internship:)
    I really need to read a Victoria Schwab book!I hope I can get a physical copy of one of them. They sound too amazing to read as an ebook.

    And I am loving the twist in your recaps Mel!And those videos were hilarious,especially the HP one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. AAAH Harry Potter figurines!!1!!! Merlins beard, I need all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Valentines Day sounds like it was adorable! CONGRATS ON FINISHING YOUR INTERNSHIP! :D
    Good luck with the new one, it sounds like it'll be brilliant! You're catching up with The 100 really quickly! It's just so amazing! I've been meaning to get around to starting Dexter for so long! Chef made me super hungry too! I saw it in the cinema and I came out absolutely starving. That sucks that Taken 2 wasn't as good as the first one. Glad it's still got loads of action though!
    Your blog name is in Cress? That's amazing! I NEED THOSE HARRY POTTER POP FIGURES!!
    Happy reading, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I JUST WATCHED THAT VILLAIN SONG THANKS TO YOU!!! GOOD LORD, THAT WAS GENIUSSSSS. I think I watched it more than thrice ;) And congrats for such a good month! I've been following your tweets on Twitter and know you worked so hard to achieve everything, so it's only right you were pampered and loved >:D< And I really need to keep up with Dexter, too! And The 100!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your internship! And your mini rant about The Happening is great. I remember laughing so hard during that movie because it was sooo bad. Oh no, the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW, congratulations on finishing your thesis / defense. that's amazing! I just found out I got accepted into UCLA for graduate school.. I start in 7 months. :D
    I don't know how you do so much … it's amazing! I have no time to read right now and I'm not sure when school starts itll get any better? But, who needs sleep right? ;)
    That's so cool that your blog was mentioned in Cress. You got some amazing books this month!

    Diamond @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE The 100 and White Chicks, which is funny because they're such different genres. So glad you enjoyed them too!

    I actually have Grave Mercy on my TBR so I'm going to have to read it now, haha

    ReplyDelete
  27. YAY! Congratulations on your internship and thesis! That's got to be a load off.

    Ooh, I didn't see you'd read A Mad, Wicked Folly. Wasn't it awesome?? :D Shrek the Musical is good? I've had it on my instant queue for ages and meant to watch it, but now that I've got a recommendation, maybe I'll get to it!

    I hope March is a wonderful month for you, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay, it is super duper cute that you took your boyfriend to dinner for Valentine's Day--and I love that he brought you flowers when your internship ended! I saw the beauties on Instagram, but how nice to hear the story behind it. Sounds like you had a busy but lovely month. :)


    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a big surprise to get home with those flowers standing there <3

      Delete
  29. Weeeee! Oh Mel, congrats on finishing your internship! I know it was a struggle at times for you but you survived and you're that much stronger for it ♥ Way to go! Your Valentine's Day sounds like it was lovely too :D I agree with you on Taken 2, I LOVE your Gryffindor hat and YAY for Raven King!! Here's to an awesome March^^

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such an awesome month, Mel! I might have to join your fairy tale challenge. I keep going back and forth on it because I'm so terrible in linking up every month. I've heard great things about Vicious, so I hope you like it. I like all your new books and you also reviewed some great books this past month. I felt the same way about Grave Mercy. Others liked the second book better, but I just connected with these characters better. I hope March is just as awesome for you!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, join! Even if you don't link up all the time, at least try to be part of the fun :D

      Delete
  31. Galavant was hilarious! I am really hoping it comes back for another season. Also love the HP in 99 seconds channel. That guy is crazy talented.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0