Wednesday, January 21, 2015 22:02

Review 210. Megan Shepherd – A cold legacy.

16182308Title: A cold legacy.
Author: Megan Shepherd.
Pages: 400.
Published: January 27th 2015 by Balzer + Bray.
Sort: The madman’s daughter #3.
The madman’s daughter.
Her dark curiosity.
Source: Edelweiss & Publisher.
After killing the men who tried to steal her father’s research, Juliet—along with Montgomery, Lucy, Balthazar, and a deathly ill Edward—has escaped to a remote estate on the Scottish moors. Owned by the enigmatic Elizabeth von Stein, the mansion is full of mysteries and unexplained oddities: dead bodies in the basement, secret passages, and fortune-tellers who seem to know Juliet’s secrets. Though it appears to be a safe haven, Juliet fears new dangers may be present within the manor’s own walls. Then Juliet uncovers the truth about the manor’s long history of scientific experimentation—and her own intended role in it—forcing her to determine where the line falls between right and wrong, life and death, magic and science, and promises and secrets. And she must decide if she’ll follow her father’s dark footsteps or her mother’s tragic ones, or whether she’ll make her own.

Rating:

To say that I disliked the second book Her dark curiosity would be an understatement. I absolutely LOATHED the sequel to The madman’s daughter. There was nothing about the book I liked, but based on the first book and the promise of A cold legacy I decided to give this series another shot. It’s not only a good feeling to cross another series of my list, I’m also happy to announce this was much more enjoyable.

Warning: don’t read the blurb from this book if you don’t want to spoiler yourself. It’s safe to read my review if you haven’t read any of the books.

The thing I really liked about this series were the different scientific experiences
. I love that Shepherd decided to explore that side of science and it was well-written and detailed. In this book we get to see Juliet and her attempts to bring someone back to life. That was my favorite part of the book, filled with bloody and gore details. The Frankenstein twist was nicely incorporated into the storyline and this shows that Shepherd knows how to write an engaging story.

The setting was creepy. Juliet and her interesting friend group escape after a big happening in London. They arrive on the remote estate from Elizabeth, where mysterious things are going on. Juliet starts to wonder if they haven’t arrived in another dangerous place, like her father’s island. The bodies in the basement, the strange noises; I couldn’t get enough of it. It gives a haunting atmosphere and it makes sure there isn’t a boring moment. There was also a surprising twist at the ending of the book. It was great Shepherd made that decision and I didn’t see it coming. I thought it would be more clichéd, but she went with a more realistic approach.

The only thing that still let me down were the characters. I have a love/hate relationship with Juliet. In the first book I was charmed by her, the second book made me want to stab her and my feelings are a little indifferent when it comes to A cold legacy. She has her bright moments and I admire her scientific work. It’s great to see what she is capable of, if only she could let go of her naivety and sometimes downright stupidity. I like that she is loyal towards her friends and her worries felt realistic, but she could use a good shake every now and then.

I give zero fucks about Montgomery and Lucy. Edward is the only character I was interested in, because he is such a complex figure. Montgomery holds information back from Juliet and he seems to think he can change her. It seemed to me there were moments where he tries to kill her passion for science. It’s definitely a dangerous path she tries to take, but love is also about supporting each other.. Lucy was an egoistic, annoying whiner.

Altogether, I’m not sure if it’s a series I would highly recommend, but if we forget the tragic Her dark curiosity I would say it’s a pretty solid story with an interesting science aspect.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

23 comments:

  1. So, I read the first book and enjoyed it. It did not blow me out of the water by any means but I I liked it for sure. Then I saw the ratings for book #2 good grief, it has really kept me away. Now to see that book three is pretty solid but still with problems, I hesitant to continue on. (Maybe one day when I have tons of time :) ) To struggle through a bad book to get to a pretty good book seems like I might have to pass at least for the time being. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, seeing there are so many good books out there, it might be best to just keep it at the first book!

      Delete
  2. Heh, I remember your review for the second book and how much you hated it. Also: "I give zero fucks about Montgomery and Lucy"<-- LOL. Wellll, on the one hand, hurray for liking this one more than the second! But on the other hand, I feel no compulsion to start up a series in which the characters don't do anything for me. I'll have to keep my eye out for other scientifically minded books with better characters I guess - because the science would definitely be my favourite part too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was almost impossible to make it any worse than the second book, hehe.

      Delete
  3. I read the blurb before I saw your warning about not reading the blurb. Oops! I don't think I'm going to read this book anyway, because I'm not really one for creepy and haunting books, especially if the book is kind of mediocre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the science aspect of it as well! It's so interesting!
    And yeah, it was a whole lot better than Her Dark Curiosity and the ending gave me closure, but like you, Lucy really annoyed me and I really wanted to shake Montgomery for hiding those things, UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Montgomery deserved some good smacks in the head.

      Delete
  5. I don't really care for Lucy either… eh. Or montgomery. Meh. I didn't mind the sequel as much, but I did like the first book better? I can't really remember lol. I do know the end of the second book made me want to read this one, when in the beginning I was thinking I would trash the series. so yeah. lol. ah I need to read this one soon…I didn't realize the pub date was so soon.
    Great review Mel
    -Diamond @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series really looks interesting to me. I'm not much of plot-driven kind of reader, so character issues doesn't bother me much, unless they are super notorious. I think I would enjoy a creepy book with science theme. But I have my concerns now because nobody likes annoying characters, and if book 2 is that bad...I don't know..I will it give another thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It can be so hard when you have a love hate relationship with a character. I get that way sometimes usually it's me wanting to stab them the first half though lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am glad to hear your didn't hate this one as much the second book---sounds like this series was quite a roller-coaster ride for you! :D I've hear several mixed things about it, so I'm not sure I'll pick it up in the future. I do like the sounds of the creepiness and the science, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER too! And, same as you, I didn't enjoy HER DARK CURIOSITY. In fact, I DNF'ed that one. But I still downloaded A COLD LEGACY from EW because I didn't want to give up on Shepherd. How can a sequel be so awful when the first book was so good?!

    I'm happy to hear that A COLD LEGACY was somewhat better than book #2. At least the science-y and gothic gore stayed in this book! It's one of the many things I loved about book #1. And yes to the setting! Sheperd was really good at that in book #1. I think Juliet was a pretty interesting character in book #1, but of course, I don't know how she developed from book #2. I honestly don't remember who Montgomery and Lucy are, but I'm glad you thought Edward was interesting! Ha. Zero fucks. Powerful descriptor right there. :)

    Well, it looks like you still finished a series in 2015! I think I might still try and binge-read the entire series to see what I think. Thanks for your lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great that this book returned to more science stuff and a better setting!

      Delete
  10. I have wanted to read this series for ages. I used to read plenty of gory novels at some point and this sounds like it would fit into that bloody/creepy category. Premise sounds amazing, what a shame that characters were not to your liking. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melll if you love a book with a science aspect you will love the Parasitology series by Mira Grant! Trust me, I'm not a scientist and I find it appealing. This book so far sounds like it's kind of hit and miss, I do like the science/creepy atmosphere but not so much about the characters. Great review lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review Mel. <3 I'm glad you managed to enjoy this book more :) And that you were brave enough to read it, ack! I didn't even read book two, because of that goddamn awful triangle shit. Sigh. Not anything for me. So disappointed, since I loved book one :\ How mean. But I am getting this one. And I might want to read all three one day. Maybe :D Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so funny, because I really liked the second book. I agree that Edward was a really interesting and tragic character. I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha, I feel like the way you can really tell someone has been blogging a bunch is that phrase, "i gave zero fucks." Or maybe it's just a phrase of someone our age.

    Anywho. Yeah, I confess to feeling surprised when I saw you'd reviewed this because I didn't think you were a huge fan of the second book (I'm not actually sure I know anyone who's a huge fan of this series). I'm glad you enjoyed this more than the sequel though and that you got to finish a series! HUZZAH because omg looking at a series round-up of 2015 books freaked the f outta me.

    Good science experiences or science magic type of experiences? Sounds like the latter, which sometimes bugs me, but I'm glad you found that aspect enjoyable.

    ". The bodies in the basement, the strange noises; I couldn’t get enough of it. It gives a haunting atmosphere " -- Sounds like it! I did always like the premise of these books, the idea of Gothic horror. I don't feel like we get a lot of that in YA.

    Juliet sounds interesting. It's always frustrating to read when a character in one book is charming and then annoying in the next and then back to being at least okay in the third. Seems like she's a complex enough character though to have aroused such feelings in you?

    :( It's the LT that also put me off from this series... but I'm glad one of the interests worked for you (is Montgomery the other? Or... I mean you just said he tried to kill her o.OOO). Sounds like you'd read something again by Megan Shepherd, so the series still sounds at least decent :). Huzzah, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, but I felt too invested in the story to just stop (and I like to finish series, haha) It's a bit of a mix between true science and a more paranormal-ish idea. It worked for me.

      Delete
  15. I didn't hate the second book, but it definitely was a bit disappointing, so I'm glad to see you at least gave this three stars! Hopefully that means I'll like it at least that much. :) It really is such a cool concept, I wish it hadn't been bogged down by all its problems.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! I'm glad that this managed to turn things around for you. A lot of people apparently loathed the sequel. Yay for unexpected twists! That's always a good thing :P Kind of sad that the MC was semi-butchered this way and you don't have the love you felt for her in book one. But I'm glad that you still find some good qualities in her. I'm not sure if this series is for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed the ending to this series :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0