Thursday, November 13, 2014 20:51

Review 301. Claudia Gray – A thousand pieces of you.

17234658Title: A thousand pieces of you.
Author: Claudia Gray.
Pages: 368.
Published: November 4th 2014 by Harper Teen.
Sort: Firebird #1.
Source: Edelweiss & Publisher.
Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him. Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.

This was a hard review to write, because I don’t have much to say about A thousand pieces of you. This is a typical 3-star book for me. It was good, but nothing spectacular and I think I will forget about this soon. But for now, let us stare for a while at the beautiful cover *stares*

Marguerite’s dad recently passed away and she’s trying to deal with the fact that it’s all because of Paul, her parent’s beloved assistant. He escaped into another dimension with their invention, the Firebird, so when Theo gives her the opportunity to follow Paul into different dimensions she jumps right into this adventure. It’s time to get her revenge.

I was surprised by the setting of this book. Parallel universes can be quite tricky, but Claudia crafted a nice, balanced explanation with enough information to make sense without getting too overwhelming. There is another personality of you in every parallel universe and when you jump, you take over that body until you jump again. Sure, there were things that didn't make sense (where stays your body in your real life?), but I've seen worse. I liked how every Marguerite had her own way of living and she’s even a Princess is one of them. That was by far my favorite universe.

Marguerite was sometimes a bit naive and it was easy to make her believe you, but she wasn’t stupid. This gave her a flawed, realistic personality I warmed up for. It’s great how she was set on getting revenge for her father’s death. It was obvious she had a good relationship with her family and I think I would do the same without any hesitation. I also liked how her unique ability to have no memory loss after a jump isn’t emphasized too much. I often have a feeling the author try to make us feel the main character is the most special girl in the world. Here, it’s just something that sets her apart from other jumpers. It’s a dangerous gift.

I wasn’t sure how I felt about Theo or Paul and how this turned out into a hint of love-triangle. It’s nothing too bad or overwhelming – this book is all about setting up other dimensions – but it could have been avoided. I did have a preference for Paul and I was quite charmed by him when Marguerite. The romance was nevertheless a very weak part in this book.

Like I said, it wasn’t a bad book by any means, but not very memorable. I’m still curious about the sequel though. This book held a good promise for more.



author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

18 comments:

  1. Great review Melanie! I am honestly always wary of books with beautiful covers. Everyone tends to confess their love to said book without actually reading it so it gets hyped up for no reason. I think I'll pass on this book because a) I am not a fan of parallel universes and b) not caring much about either guy? yikes, doesn't sound thrilling XD. I like her loyalty to her family, like you, I wouldn't hesitate to avenge them (wow that sounds like such a medieval thing to say)

    great review!
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, both of those reasons make me think it's better if you skip this one indeed ;)

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you Mel. This one was a great start to a series but it wasn't anything memorable. Science never makes sense to me (gah) so I didn't find myself questioning (or attempting to question) any of the scientific explanations. I think the biggest thing that I took away from the book was that amazing cover because that one is forever etched in my mind. Fantastic review, Mel! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I am SO glad to know I'm not the only person who was drawn in by the beautiful cover! *wipes brow* It is gorgeous though, is it not? It's always difficult to write reviews for books you feel meh about; but, considering that, I think you did a fantastic job. I'm sorry you were a bit indifferent towards this one - it sounds like it was good in the moment, but just not very much after that, you know? Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all fall for the pretty-cover-trap, haha.

      Delete
  4. I totally want to try this, but it's not on top of my wish list at the moment. *shrugs* I LOVE THE COVER! But dimension jumping around tends to confuse me badly. >.> And I'm sad the romance is weak. Marguerite sounds really interesting though. GAH! I'm torn. Try it or not...decisions, decisions. x)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in love with this cover.It's so beautiful!
    This is not my type of book,though.I am not a huge fan of science fiction,I don't like the paragraphs and paragraphs of explanation.
    Guess it's a typical Claudia Gray book,then.Her books are great,but not unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, reviewing 3-star books is such a pain. I've heard a lot of mixed things about the "love triangle" which I can understand.

    I've never read a book by Claudia Gray so I was really looking forward to this one, I'm sad that this one doesn't live up to expectations (or cover *stares at cover*).

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems to be a trend that awesome covers hold not-so-awesome tales. I'm always very wary of books with these amazing covers because they rarely carry equally amazing content. Le sigh.

    I haven't read this one yet and I might not. I've heard too many iffy things to *want* to read it. I'm also not very good at science so I would either not question ANY of the science, or I wouldn't understand it/follow it and I'd be a bit annoyed.

    Sigh. I'm still waiting for that amazing time travel book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw. I'm sorry this book was kind of boring :\ but I'm glad you didn't hate it :) I have heard so many bad things about it. Sigh. So I don't think I will read my copy for a very, very long time :p but yeah. I'm glad you still enjoyed it a little bit :) Thank you for sharing Mel. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic review, Mel! You hit the nail right on the head. I feel exactly the same way about this book. I do think it's a solid start to the trilogy, so I'll be curious to see where the story goes in book 2. (And I also can't wait to see what the cover for book 2 is going to look like! Hopefully they don't change the style.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful review Mel! You did pick up some of the things I loved about the book, with the parallel universes explored and how the bodies are taken over in each universe. The Princess one was a fun hint to fairy tales, but it felt a bit cliche to me even though I still enjoyed it. I'm glad it didn't divulge into a full love triangle too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THE COVER IS SO RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, I feel like the majority of people wanted to read this book because of the cover. Sah pretty!
    Yeah, I didn't really think the romance was that great. The love triangle seemed pretty unnecessary and then the whole multiple-of-each-character thing went slightly overboard. Definitely going to read the sequel though. I want to see where the series goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gah, dimensional stuff tend to be too much on my brain and I get confused so easily. Still, this cover is gorgeous and who can ignore such a ridiculously pretty cover anyway? I'm glad the book still went okay for you. It's not exactly my top priority at the moment, but I might read this book some time. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just don't know what to make of this book, reviews have been all over the place. I am very curious about this parallel world set up, but since everything seems to be hit or miss I might wait to see how the sequel turns out before reading it, or maybe I'll look for it on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant review! I still can't make up my mind about this book, I don't know if I want to get to it or not. I know I will eventually, but for now I can't seem to bring myself to start it. I adore the cover, but I feel like it's going to be another book where the cover is a lot better than what's inside it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. *stares* the cover is beautiful! I actually own a copy now so I'll probably read this sometime in the future. I wish the romance could have been better. Ugh love triangles :P I've seen some good reviews for this though so hopefully I'll enjoy it enough that I'll want to continue with the series too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0