Review 296. Ransom Riggs – Miss Peregrine’s home for peculiar children.

17162156Title: Miss Peregrine’s home for peculiar children.
Author: Ransom Riggs.
Pages: 352.
Published: June 4th 2013 by Quirk Books.
Sort: Part #1. Miss Peregrine’s peculiar children.
Source: I received a finished copy for review purpose from the publisher.

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
 Rating:

This book was perfect for this month, where I decided to pick up some books to get in the Halloween mood. It started out very creepy and those pictures completed the book. I'm really starting to fangirl about books where they include pictures, like In the shadow of blackbirds and The cure for dreaming.

The first thing we find out is that Jacob’s grandfather used to tell him stories about his life in an orphanage during the war. He would show Jacob pictures from his old friends alongside tales about monsters and special powers. The last few years, Jacob figured out these were nothing more than fantasies - but then something shocking happens and he sees a glimpse of one of the monsters his grandfather used to describe to him. His parent’s are afraid Jacob can’t deal with the situation and they send him to therapy. It’s then that Jacob decides he wants to see the island to solve the mysterious words from his grandfather.

I loved the mystery. I had no idea what was going on and if Jacob truly saw the monster or if his imagination was playing with him. The big question was solved about halfway into the book and I wasn’t let down by the answer. There were enough other things to make it interesting after that. I don’t want to give anything away, so this is pretty much everything I can say about it. Going in with as little information as possible really made this book work for me.

The setting was great. An island with an abandoned orphanage on it? Yes please! Ransom had a fantastic way of incorporating those pictures in the story to make the picture complete. When his grandfather would show him a picture of a girl, we would find that specific photograph on the next page. It made the story very interactive and it gave a haunting atmosphere.

The ending left me wanting more. It’s not a bad cliff-hanger though. A lot of problems are solved, but you’ll be exited for the sequel! I can't wait.

24 comments

  1. Yay, so glad you liked it!

    I've been wanting to read this for such a long time now but I never get around to it! I made it my goal to get the English hardback edition first and then read it. I figured those pictures wouldn't be the same in the ebook edition...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book for Halloween time! Well, it's too late for me to add it to my Halloween reading list for this year, but I'll keep it in mind for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when they include photos in books as well! Haven't come across too many though. Really only this and In the Shadow of Blackbirds.
    The sequel is better than this one, in my opinion! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun book, I really need to read Hollow City!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I really liked it as well, and I agree with you on the ending. It was satisfying -- for a cliffhanger. :)

    Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried to read this twice and I just can't get into it. But your review makes it sound so good and now I really want to know whether Jacob is hallucinating or not! And also find out more about the creepy orphanage - I only got as far as the first time Jacob visits the orphanage. I'll definitely have to give this one another go. Third time lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to read this one for ages! It just sounds so awesome. The photographs are such a cool addition too. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sequel is just as good! I loved them both and really agree that the pictures set the mood. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great, and just in time for Halloween! I've been debating this one for forever, so I think I'll pick it up now! Great review!
    Kristen @ One Chapter Ahead

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic review, Mel - I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I love the pictures included in this novel, but was disappointed by the story itself. However, I enjoyed Hollow City a lot more, so I hope you enjoy that one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought this one when Ransom came to our country for his signing with Tahereh Mafi and Veronica Rossi! I still haven't read it, and it's been months since then! The pictures are super creepy, haha! I can handle mysteries no problem--but mysteries with creepy pictures? *hides under blanket* But I am curious about the story and the actual mystery around the book. I'll see if I can muster enough courage to read this soon! >_< Awesome review, Mel. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally love the sound of this, it reminds me of Shutter Island in a way. The creep factor of it is perfect for this time of the month, thanks for the reminder that I still need to read this! I'm looking forward to the mystery as well, and those photos would be scene setting. Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, there's pics in this one too!? I LOVE it when authors do that! It's just a fun little bonus for readers. Everything about this book sounds amazing, while aside from that monster of a cliff hanger, but no title is perfect. You don't get more creepy than an abandoned orphanage—great for Halloween!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep thinking I want to read this book great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so torn over this book! I just really can't decide whether it's for me or not. I've read a lot of reviews and some mention things about the book I don't like, others mention things I'd love. So I am very torn. But I guess the only way I will know is if I actually pick up the book. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have mixed feelings about picking up this book. reason for that is that I do not have much luck with male authors because I usually find their writing a little bit pretentious. But so many people I know loved this book. Ugh, I don't know... Maybe someday.
    Great review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It must have been a perfect book for Halloween.Even the cover looks so creepy and scary.
    Normally, I don't go for mystery, thriller and horror, but I am curious about the book because of the whole photos concept. It sounds interesting.

    Mishma @ As the page turns

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this book sounds a little like The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, you just never know if what the narrator is seeing is the truth or not. I didn't really want to read this one but now I am interested and shall have to see about getting a copy.
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had my eye on this one for a while now, it sounds so intriguing with all the pictures! I'm definitely going to grab a copy now from your review, and I will definitely keep in mind that not read anything about this book prior to reading it! I love books like that, not exactly knowing what you're getting yourself into :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much Mel :) Amazing review. <3 I.. did not love it the same. Think I rated it three stars. But I cannot remember much about it :p I am planning on re-reading it. One day. In the future, so that I can read book two, hih. Hope you love the sequel as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel like I need to give this book another chance. I listened to it (so I missed out on the pictures) a while ago and felt rather lukewarm towards it but I think I picked it up on the heels of another book that read similarly and that was my biggest problem.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Honestly, I've picked up this book so many times, and seeing the pictures on the pages continue to creep me out (I live alone). I think I would get to finish this sometime soon. :D

    ~ Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
  23. The setting was great but it just was a middle of the road book for me - I even read the next one and decided I won't read further because I just wasn't really excited by it and there were quirks that didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed the book but I didn't love it. I didn't grow an attachment to the story or the characters and I found myself not really caring what happened to anyone/anything really. It's a shame - I was hoping to absolutely love it.

    The pictures were stunning though!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.