Monday, August 18, 2014 10:09

Bout of books Updates.



Here you can find all the details about my Sign up post and goals. You can also follow my progress on Twitter with the hashtag #dailyboutofbooks. You can find some of my photographs on my instagram: Mel_1704.



Today I'm starting this pretty book, Laini Taylor - Days of blood and starlight.
MONDAY.
-Pages read: 352.
-Total number of books read: 0.
-Goals achieved: I visited around 40 blogs today and unfortunately I forgot about the Twitter chat (and I must admit I fell asleep when I was reading on my bed, haha)

I finished Days of blood and starlight this morning. It was even better than Daughter of smoke and bone. I was blown away by the story and how dark it was. Right now, I'm reading Dreams of gods and monsters.

TUESDAY.
-Pages read: 161, so I finished my first book, and 191 pages in Dreams of gods and monsters.
-Total number of books read: 1. Days of blood and starlight.
-Goals achieved: I visited around 30 blogs today and as you can see, I participated in one challenge:

One True Paring challenge on Infinite Ink.
One of my favorite pairs can be found in Robin LaFevers - Dark Triumph. Sybella and 'Beast' are my example of true love. When they first meet they don't like each other. Beast knocks her unconscious and takes her away from her mission. Sybella isn't ready to let someone into her life.

He is often described as ugly, but he has such a warm, loyal and loving heart. Sybella is a broken character, but under his watch she develops and starts to love herself. She can accept her past. They understand each other and that makes it such a beautiful relationship, based on mutual respect. And not to forget: they have a sizzling chemistry!


WEDNESDAY.
-Pages read: 422 pages, so I finished the epic Dreams of Gods and monsters.
-Total number of books read: 2.
-Goals achieved: I think I visited around.. 70 blogs? But I didn't comment on all of them, perhaps.. 35? Not really important, it's just fun going around, finding new blogs and seeing everyone's progress!

THURSDAY.
-Pages read: 358, finished The Jewel. *rage*
-Total number of books read: 3.
-Goals achieved: I did the challenge and had a day off from visiting blogs :)

Like this, try this Challenge on
Writing my own fairytale.

Both have strong female MC's. Both feature Angels in a different way than we know them. Both series are dark and gritty. Both of them feature interesting love-interests (with no insta-love or love-triangles) Both of them have other important relationships. DOSAB; Karou and her best friend Zuzana. Angelfall: Penryn and her little sister.


FRIDAY.
-Pages read: 298 pages in The winner's curse, it's really good! Also 40 pages in The catcher in the rye for the book club and I can't stand it.
-Total number of books read: 3.
-Goals achieved: I didn't keep track of how many blogs I visited, but it was fun to hop around. If I would guess I would say about 30. I've been thinking about the challenge, but I couldn't come up with anything good.


SATURDAY.
-Pages read: 57 pages, finished The winner's curse (amazing!) and 171 pages in Kiersten White - Illusions of fate.
-Total number of books read: 4.
-Goals achieved: I reached my goal of 4 books and now I hope to read 6 in total. I visited around 20 blogs and participated in the Twitter chat.

SUNDAY.
-Pages read: 200 pages, finished Illusions of fate. 174 pages, finished The catcher in the rye. I read 45 pages in The house of the four winds by Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory and 125 in Shannon Hale - The goose girl.
-Total number of books read: 6.
-Goals achieved: I did a book challenge, I managed to reach my second goal and I had a lot of fun, so definitely!

Total pages: 2594 pages.

5 book challenge on Falling down the book hole.
Given the short amount of time you are only able to take 5 books with you. What books would you pick to take with you as you escape and prepare for the end of the world. Would you choose books that would help you survive in the post-apocalyptic world, books for pleasure that would make you happy and take you to a fantasy reality or books that you can’t live without?
The Hunger Games in the hope I can still learn something from Katniss survival techniques and to remind myself I can be kick-ass too (hopefully).The book thief, because it's my favorite book and I want to reread it at least one more time.HP and the order of the phoenix, to remind myself that even in the darkest times, there is still hope.Heart's blood, because she is one of my favorite authors and this fairytale might remind me that every story has a happy ending.Crown of midnight in order to keep myself distracted from the horror that is going on with some swoon; and who doesn't want to read some more about badass Celaena.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

54 comments:

  1. I'm sooo excited because I just borrowed Daughter of Smoke and Bone from the library and I'm fiiiiinally going to see what all the fuss is about! HUZZAH! *digs in happily*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to see you participating here, Melanie! I haven't participated (even though I want to) because I'm just so busy lately. I haven't even caught up with my commenting rounds yet, huhuhu >_< Good luck and I hope you read a LOT of books! :D

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your challenge. I have been meaning to pick up Days of Blood and Starlight for a while now, but I am looking forward to picking it up. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Days of Blood and Starlight is so amazing! I don't know if you've met Ziri yet, but omg he's the best character ever <3

    Good luck for your readathon Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with all your goals, Mel. For me I couldnt get into Days of Starlight and Blood but I hope you enjoy it! I'll look forward to seeing your updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay :D Best of luck Mel. <3 This book is so gorgeous. I own the US editions of them all, though. But have yet to start the trilogy :p One day. Hopefully :D Happy reading. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I loved Days of Blood and Starlight. Have fun reading and good luck on your goals!

    fishgirl182 @ nite lite

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard wonderful things about that series. Really need to get around to it. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your goals, Mel! I've seen the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series around quite a lot but I still have yet to read it myself, so I hope you enjoy Days of Blood and Starlight :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 40 blogs and 352 pages? You're on a roll already Mel!
    Looks like you're definitely on track to completing all of your goals! Good luck :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow,great start,Mel:)
    I haven't read this one,but I've heard that it's a really good book.I hope you'll love your first book of the read-a-thon.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't started this series yet but I'm planning to do so sometime this year as all my friends keep bugging me to read it. Good luck with the rest of the read-a-thon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooooo, I'm liking that cover of DoB&S! It's beautiful!! Hope you enjoy it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you sure are making great progress on the Readathon so far! I've heard a lot of great things about the Daughter Of Smoke and Bone trilogy, but I have never read it before. Good luck for the rest of this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read Daughter of Smoke & Bone (yet) but I keep hearing nothing but fantastic things about it! You're doing so fabulous so far! I'm almost done my first book & I 'm hoping to finish it today :) Good luck with the rest of the read-a-thon and happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dang girl! You're doing so well! :) I just bought Daughter of Smoke and Bone so I can't wait to read that after the readathon. Good luck for the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are doing really great so far. I need to start the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series soon. It sounds really good. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gah... All these i need to read. You are doing great. Good Luck for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Darn, I didn't know there was a Bout of Books challenge going on. Oh well, at least I'm only a day late. I'll just join the challenge anyway. :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are doing FANTASTIC with your reading! Keep up the good work :D I have yet to start reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but I'm hoping to get to it by the end of summer. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! This sounds like such a great thing to participate in Mel! I honestly had no idea about it, but it sounds like it's a great way to reinforce reading and connecting with other readers. And 40 blogs and 352 pages? *whistles* WOW! Way to go!

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge Mel, and have fun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really liked Grave Mercy but haven't finished this one yet. I love couples that don't immediately have an attraction too. Feels more organic. Good luck!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love those covers for DoSaB so much! It's a series I plan to read... eventually. I hope you love it!
    Also, Beast and Sybella are OTP staus for sure. :) Great pick.

    Good luck to you this week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I missed the Twitter chat too, but for different reasons. :( Days of Blood and Starlight looks like a great book. I started that series last month. Dark Triumph looks like a really good book! Good luck on your goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah... Days of Blood and Starlight. It was dark and definitely didn't have as much of the humor and romance from the first book, but it was also good. I have Dreams of Gods and Monsters on my shelf right now waiting for me to read. I'm hoping to get to it soon. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been thinking about reading the His Fair Assassin books for a while. Dark Triumph certainly sounds amazing :D. Good luck for the rest of the week! (By the way, I love your 'All you need are books' mug <3)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are blog visiting machine! Love it! Good luck on the rest of your goals! And I hope you love Dreams of Gods and Monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone a few months ago and loved it. I really have to by the other two books and continue with the series! Good luck with the rest of the books! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have been wanting to read this series for awhile. And I can't decide what to read next - maybe I'll try that one! You're doing awesome!! Happy Reading today! Thanks for visiting me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're totally rockin' it, girl! I haven't read the Smoke and Bone series yet and honestly it wasn't exactly on my radar but I've been seeing some awesome reviews on it and I think I might have to change my mind about adding it to my TBR.

    Keep up the awesome reading!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad that you loved the books.I only read The Daughter of Smoke and Bone,and I really want to read the sequels.Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You're doing so well! I'm visiting ALL the blogs that link their updates on the BoB page which is like 200-300, I love discovering new blogs and seeing everyone's updates as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Much luck to you, Mel! I've always wanted to participate in Bout of Books but am always late to find out that it has started. :P

    I will re-try Daughter of Smoke and Bone some day, I swear. >_< Ooooh, and Beast! <3 Agreed 100%.

    I hope you read tons of awesome books, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone so I'm so happy you read/are reading the rest of the series. Perfect book recommendation for me right now. I'll have to get a closer look at Angelfall. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good luck! :) Visiting 40 blogs in a day is really impressive. So far I have spent 4 hours trying to reply to comments and visit people back, it's very time consuming. I am excited to start the Daughters of Smoke and Bone series, keep hearing amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You really powered through Laini Taylor's series! Glad to see you liked it, and I'm impressed because I found her books got to be overwhelming in all of their fantasy elements and world building that it took me at least a few days to finish and process each. I agree about Angelfall though, I discovered it shortly after reading Days of Blood & Starlight and loved it, I think they're both really unique takes on the angel/demon genre, which unfortunately has a lot of lackluster books within it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I totes approve of your "Like This, Try This." Penryn and Karou are both excellent, strong MCs.

    Sigh, I think I want to reread Angelfall for the third time now.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I recently bought Daughter of Smoke and Bone from The Book Depository because I loved the UK cover version :D
    Can't wait to start that series! Looks like you're doing great for Bout of Books! I'm too busy with work and soccer this week to participate. Next week though is the last day of my internship so I'll have more time to read =)

    ReplyDelete
  39. It feels a bit weird,commenting repeatedly on the same post:)
    How was the Jewel?I hoped the insta-love wasn't a huge problem.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What caught my eye the most in this post is your wonderful MUG! I'd love to have a mug like that! Besides, is that a cover change for Days of Blood and Starlight? It's beautiful! Happy reading and good luck in the readathon, Mel!

    -Kat at Perusing Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
  41. Catcher in the Rye is one of my least favorite books EVER. I had to read it in high school and just despised the entire experience. It is one of three books in my whole school career (the others being Siddhartha and Native Son) that I just couldn't stand. So I definitely feel for you; reading it once was plenty for me!

    Good luck for the rest of the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think it's my fourth comment on the same post.It really feels weird:)
    I really want to read The Winner's Curse.The cover looks so beautiful,and the synopsis is tempting.I hope I'll get a chance to read it soon.
    Glad you're loving the read-a-thon,Mel:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Came back by again to see how you're doing. I LOVED The Winner's Curse!!! I can't wait for the next one in that series. I'll be starting Illusions of Fate too. So far I've heard good things and I really like that author, so I'm hoping I'll love it. :)

    Happy reading today!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow what, if you say Days of Blood is better then I don't know why I haven't read it yet! I really need to read it by the end of the year! Glad to see your doing well with your Bout of Books, you're getting through a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow! What a great list! I love your reasons for wanting to take all the books as well! I am glad you participated and enjoyed my challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wasn't The Winner's Curse just AMAZING???? I can't wait for the next one to come out! :)
    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  47. I would take "Heart's Blood" with me too. No alien would touch my copy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow! You read a ton this week. Also, I love the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Yay! You've achieved your goals for the read-a-thon.Go girl!
    I am looking foward to your review for Illusions of Fate.I really want to read the book.
    This was really fun right? I can't wait for the next bout of books.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm so glad you enjoyed the Daughter of Smoke & Bone series! I am a huge fan! I didn't like the third book as much as I did the first two, but I still love her writing so much! And that mug is amazing! I definitely want to look that up and see about buying it. I've been meaning to read Dark Triumph and The Winner's Curse so I'm glad you like them. Great post! Congrats on reaching so many goals, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Congrats on achieving your goals. Hope to see on the next Bout of Books. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0