Review 276. Maggie Stiefvater – The dream thieves.

19189768Title: The dream thieves.
Author: Maggie Stiefvater.
Pages: 450.
Published: September 5th 2013.
Sort: The raven cycle #2.
The raven boys #1. The raven boys.
Source: Birthday present from boyfriend.

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after…
Rating:

The most interesting thing about this book was the ending. Some people warned me about it, but when I finally read the conclusion it was a lot more satisfying then expected. If you loved the tale from The Raven boys, you’re going to devour this book too.

There are small spoilers for the first book.

The first book was more about all the characters, with a mild focus on Adam. This book is mainly about Ronan, definitely the most fascinating Raven Boy to me. He is a dream thief, a person who can take objects from his dreams into the real world. Dangerous people are after this gift, but they don’t realize it’s a boy; they are all looking for an object. This is how the Gray Man comes into the story. He is a complex character with history of killing, but he is done when he is finally settling down in Cabeswater. The only problem is that his employer still wants what he hired him for.

I liked this book, even when it blew a hole in my ship. Ronan was a mysterious, silent boy in the Raven Boys and I feel like I know him a lot better now. He has his own way for dealing with things that bother him. He is not an easy character, but I started to appreciate him more. I also admired how Stiefvater handled some things around him. SPOILER: his love life. He shows a good character development and I can’t wait to see more of him.

Adam was different. Waking up the ley line changed him – and I don’t think I like that. It’s great that he has a new role, but I dislike how easily he shuts people out. He is too proud for his own good and I want him to be more part of the group. There were some scenes where I wanted to shake him in the hope to open his eyes. It’s obvious how damaged this boy is after growing up in an abusive environment.

I warmed up for Gansey. I like how he deals with his growing feelings for Blue and how passionate he is. A lot of people would have stopped with their quest, but he has a positive look on things. I admire characters who stay strong despite setbacks. Blue is a wonderful girl. She is so feisty and sassy! I think we could be best friends in real life. She knows what she wants and she won’t let other people tell her otherwise.

There are also a lot of other interesting side characters. Persephone is still my favorite one. She is so dreamy. The addition of the Gray Man was nice, because he brings another kind of romance into the story. We have the tension between Blue and a Raven Boy and the growing attraction between the Gray Man and someone from Blue’s family. I’m happy that this stays on the background, because the mystery around the ley line is great. I look forward to Blue Lily, Lily Blue!




31 comments

  1. I just finished listening to SINNER over the weekend, and immediately added this series to my wishlist. I absolutely love her writing style! 4 stars, eh? Yup. I made the right decision! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I don't like Adam. I don't think some of his behavior is justifiable because of his upbringing. I know that every person reacts to it differently from my own experience with family so I guess it's hard for me to sympathize with some of his selfish behavior.

    I loved this book and I loved that it shifted focus to Ronan. I wonder if the next book will do that as well.

    Fav scene....Blue and Noah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked him at first, but now.. not so much. And yes, that scene!

      Delete
  3. Mel...don't hate, but... *gulps* ... I read this and it was kind of meh for me. :( But I completely trust you and your ratings, so I think I'm going to give it another try because I have a feeling that at the time I was reading it that I wasn't in a mood for a fantasy. I'll let you know what I think the 2nd time around, okay? ;) Wonderful review though! Glad you enjoyed it so much. xD

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    P.S. It's so sweet your boyfriend got this for you as a birthday present! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never judge someone for disliking a book I love/like! If it didn't work for you, it didn't work for you :)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely adored this one, I really did...it's just...hehe, Ronan blew holes in my ships too. BUT I STILL LOVE HIM. I was really excited to see more of his backstory too, and the whole thing was just epic from start to finish. For some reason I only gave it 4 too. I think I wasn't as pleased with the lack of action? I can't even remember. Oh gosh, this may mean a reread before book #3 comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, it's just a perfect 4 star book.. but not good enough for more, while I still liked it? Very confusing, haha.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, I NEED to read these books because I just KNOW I will love them like everyone else! It's just about finding the time and I hope to manage it before the third book is released. Your descriptions of the characters just confirm to me that Maggie is a true talent when it comes to characterization!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep seeing so much love and praise for this series, I swear. The first book I read by Stiefvater was The Scorpion Races, which I kinda... DNFed... >.> The writing was cool, but I felt it was too slow, and it got confusing a lot of times, and after that I didn't really bother reading anything from her again BUT I may give an exception to this one. It's just so well-loved, you know? And it's unfair to not read anything else by another author because you didn't like one of her work. So I'll def. be checking this series out \ (^_^) /

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might end up with the same problem, because this story is also kinda slow.

      Delete
  7. I hate it when the first book isn't the best. That's apparently how it is for Throne of Glass, and I heard that it's also the same for The Raven Boys. I didn't really feel anything for it, but I guess it's worth a reread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey you! I haven't read it yet, so kind of skimming it, but I'm so glad that this one revolves around Ronan since he and Gansey are just asfghjkl I LOVE. "There were some scenes where I wanted to shake him in the hope to open his eyes. " LOL! This was already in the first book for me, so yea. Not really excited about this tbh. I ship Blue and Gansey hard so I can't wait to read more about them. I'm so glad you enjoyed, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah, this book sounds so intense with the world building and the ley lines and all of that, I think I'd really enjoy it! I can't believe I haven't read it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of Maggie Stievafer's books before, even though they are recommended to me over and over again. I really should try one soon...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adam was my favorite in The Raven Boys, but I don't love where his character is going either. It's just so hard to see him be so self-destructive D: Ronan is probably my favorite, but then there's Noah and Gansy too and I really just can't pick! I think my favorite part is Ronan and Gansy's friendship; the focus on that aspect was great in TDT. Ahhh now I'm all excited for Blue Lily, Lily Blue again. October needs to hurry up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he can find his way back, because it's sad to see him change so much :(

      Delete
  12. I really enjoyed this one. It totally made me love Ronan, which didn't happen in the first book. I agree with your thoughts about Adam in this one. Can't wait for book #3!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gansey is still my favourite, although Ronan rocked this one. I was also kind of annoyed with Adam, but I also felt so bad for him. He is limiting himself, and it's sad to see. & I'm super excited for the sequel!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ronan is definitely one of my favorites, it is a close tie between him and Gansey. I do feel like I need to do a reread of both book in preparation for Blue Lily, Lily Blue. SO much happens and her writing is so vivid and descriptive, I occasionally lose myself and then forget what I just read... weird I know!

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling! Sometimes I'm so wrapped up into the writing-style I have to go back to really READ what it says, haha.

      Delete
  15. Amazing review sweetie. <3 I'm so glad you liked this :D But I'm sorry you didn't fully love it. Ack. BUT YAY for loving Gansey more. <3 He's my favorite character. Sniffs. So awesome. Ugh. I didn't like Adam much at all :p Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. *purposefully doesn't read other comments in case of spoilers*

    I'm about a quarter of the way through this ... WOW after what you've said I'm even more excited to find out the ending!!

    ~ Emily, a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you liked this so much!! I wholly adored it. Maggie's writing is just inhumanly good, honestly. I hate where Adam is heading as well, but I'm hoping he's got an overall character arch that's redemptive--since there are two more books for him to get better. :) I agree with Carina! Yay for loving Gansey more! He's always been my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have hope that Adam gets back on track :)

      Delete
  18. I have really got to get this one read! I've had since before it was released last year, so I have absolutely no excuse. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have not read this series yet - thinking about binging when the third book comes out. I know everyone loves it, and I'm a huge Maggie Stiefvater fan. Glad you liked this one, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! You want to finish the books right after each other :D

      Delete
  20. I really really need to pick up the first book in this series! Can't believe I haven't so far. I loove Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver series so much. And I miss her excellent writing. So happy to hear that you loved the second book:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a fantastic book, even better than the first in the series. The characterization is incredible, the plot unique, and the writing vivid. I highly highly recommend this series.
    Highly recommended Alaskan Brown Bear Hunts guided

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.