Review 269. A.C Gaughen – Lady thief.

16181630Title: Lady thief.
Author: A.C Gaughen.
Pages: 304.
Published: February 11th 2014 by Walker Childrens.
Sort: Scarlet #1.
Part 1. Scarlet.
Source: I won a copy from Christina - A reader of fictions.
Scarlet’s true identity has been revealed, but her future is uncertain. Her forced marriage to Lord Gisbourne threatens Robin and Scarlet’s love, and as the royal court descends upon Nottingham for the appointment of a new Sheriff, the people of Nottingham hope that Prince John will appoint their beloved Robin Hood. But Prince John has different plans for Nottingham that revolve around a fateful secret from Scarlet’s past even she isn’t yet aware of. Forced to participate at court alongside her ruthless husband, Scarlet must bide her time and act the part of a noblewoman—a worthy sacrifice if it means helping Robin’s cause and a chance at a future with the man she loves. With a fresh line of intrigue and as much passion as ever, the next chapter in Scarlet’s tale will have readers talking once again.
Rating:

This book destroyed me. She stomped on my heart and completely shattered me. It contains all the feelings and this is a book where the inside is just as pretty as the outside.  I do need to warn you for spoilers if you haven’t read Scarlet or the blurb for Lady Thief. I know some of you guys don’t read blurbs. If you did, it’s okay to read this review :)


tumblr_mnc3nph4AN1rf0qbdo2_250First off, we have the kick-ass Scarlet. This girl has a special place in my heart. Fierce, strong, brave, independent and snarky. Scarlet knows what she wants and she will do anything to achieve that, but in the mean time, she is desperate for love. Her romance with Robin is hard, with her being married to Guy. I liked seeing their struggle and how they both want to be together. And guys, I ship them so hard! I can’t get enough of their short moments of happiness. They are so adorable together and I was constantly swooning – a thing I don’t do often.

But there is of course more to this story than romance. Luckily for us, Gaughen knows how to write an engaging plot. Things are going to get complicated when Guy says he will ask for an annulment if Scarlet pretends to be the noblewoman she actually is. There is a tournament for the new sheriff and Guy wants to show her off, because Prince John promised him the job.

Guy seriously creeps me out in this story. He was scary in Scarlet, but he is even worse here. The only thing is, Gaughen gave him more depth and complexity. There were almost moments I felt sorry for him – and it was weird, because the next moment he would beat Scarlet for her ‘obedience’ and I would hate his guts. The same for Prince John and his arrogant, cocky look on the world.

Discovering more about Scarlet and the tension over the tournament was interesting, but when we were nearing the end something heart-shattering happened. I still can’t believe it. I must applaud for the way Gaughen handled this, because my oh my, I definitely didn’t see it coming. It makes me even more anxious for the next book and I already know it’s going to be painful. The best way to describe this book:

download

26 comments

  1. This series sounds brilliant, but it's another one that I haven't picked up you know? I love the sound of Scarlet's character, she sounds like a really kick-ass one that I can get behind. I'm glad it's not revolved around the romance either! Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend putting this book higher on your list ;)

      Delete
  2. I really need to get into this series, for realsies. The covers it has are amazing, and your enthusiastic review pumped me up even more :) I read a bit of the first book, and I liked what I saw. Can't wait to indulge myself with this one!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! That's what Lauren said. She said that Scarlet was good, but this was the most excellent basically. I love the gif, Mel :D Oh gawd. Your second paragraph already has me filled with feels. I think it's good to have characters you can hate on a little and villains are awesome. Looks like Guy has somewhat taken the role of one. Can't wait to start this series :)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Villains sometimes really make the story! Sometimes you need people to hate, haha.

      Delete
  4. I have read so many praising reviews for this series, that I don't know why I haven't picked it up yet. I am an emotional reader, so do love it when books stomp all over your heart. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a tad bit scared to read your review because of the spoilers but WOOOW. 5+?! This book has got to be super amazing. Definitely going to try to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, lol. Amazing review Mel. <3 I'm so glad you loved this book :D I have yet to read it.. as I'm not all that happy about the ending, lol. But hopefully soon :) It do make me very happy that you loved it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I've not read the first book so I don't know much about what happens in the story. It one that I've been eyeing but haven't really decided if I want to check it out or not. I might need to now! :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, Mel, you're making me so excited to read this series!! I do recall how highly you thought of Scarlet and remember really wanting to read it then, but as always, other things got in the way. But I'm so stoked that you loved the sequel too because that encourages me even more to try this one out sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you give it a try soon Aylee :)

      Delete
  9. Haha that gif is so so true! I was floored by this one and am going to seriously kill someone for a copy of the third after that ending D:

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you really enjoyed this one! It's making more excited to read it :D
    I have a feeling I need to reread the first one though haha. I don't remember any of these characters...(except Scarlet obviously)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the first book, but didn't especially love it, so I've been kind of unsure as to whether or not I'd read this one. I like to hear that Guy is still creepy but that he's got depth, too! I was learning towards reading this one anyway, but I think you convinced me, Mel. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh ok I haven't read Scarlet - I guess I need to pick that up cause Anya raves about it lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, I'm missing out on so many awesome fantasy series -- like this one! I still haven't read Scarlet yet, though I definitely will after reading your review for the sequel. It's really rare these days to find a sequel that's just as good as the first book... or even better, so those 5+ stars do mean a lot.

    Anyway, I skimmed through your review because I didn't want to be spoiled, so all I can say is that I'm super happy this lived up to your expectations. And am I the only one who loves the title for this book? Lady Thief just sounds so badass, and the model looks badass, too. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are rare, so when you find one it's extra special :D

      Delete
  14. Scarlet was hands down one of my favourites from last year and after yearning for this one for a year I finally got the book, dug in and couldn't remember what happened in the first one -.- I'm so glad to here that you loved it though. You spiked my curiosity again!

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
  15. The last gif is perfect. I loved Lady Thief so much. Scarlet was great, but Lady Thief was more in so many ways. That ending left me reeling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished Lady Thief and I am completely shattered! I still haven't managed to write my review yet... the words just won't come and I'm blaming emotional overload!
    That ending! I didn't see it coming at all...
    I love your review, I feel exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me quite some time to write something coherent, haha.

      Delete
  17. I'm so thrilled you loved this one as much as I did. Wasn't it written so amazingly well??!!!! Just so well done! And yes, that ending. I was like: "She didn't!" But she did. It felt so authentic to me and the characters were so good - just really well fleshed out. I'm dying for the third book too! I can't wait to see what will happen and I'm also a little scared about it too.

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Her writing-style is so easy and quick, you just fly through the pages with anticipation.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.