Review 268. Sarah Strohmeyer – Smart girls get what they want.

15821260Title: Smart girls get what they want.
Author: Sarah Strohmeyer.
Pages: 368.
Published: March 26th 2013 by Balzer + Bray.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Gigi, Bea, and Neerja are best friends and total overachievers. Even if they aren't the most popular girls in school, they aren't too worried. After all, real life will begin once they get to their Ivy League colleges. But when an unexpected event proves they're missing out on the full high-school experience, it's time to come out of the honours lounge and into the spotlight. The trio makes a pact: They will each take on their greatest challenge and totally rock it. Gigi decides to run for student rep, but she'll have to get over her fear of public speaking—and go head-to-head with gorgeous California Will. Bea used to be one of the best skiers around, until she was derailed; it could be time for her to take the plunge again. And Neerja loves the drama club but has always stayed behind the scenes—until now. These friends are determined to show the world that smart girls really can get what they want—but that might mean getting way more attention than they ever bargained for.
Rating:

I was getting tired of disappointing books about two months ago, so I thought it would be good to switch up genres. After seeing a positive review of this book on Debby’s blog Snuggly Oranges, I wanted to give it a try. I’m very happy I did, because it was exactly what I needed. Cute romances and a wonderful friendship, it was all I could ask for.

Gigi, Bea and Neerja became best friends when they were children and they are still together. They are the smart girls of the school, always studying and trying to get the best results until they decide they want more. They want people to notice them in other ways. When Gigi and Mike get in trouble because of a test, she decides to run for student rep to change the rules. Neerja is going for the theater and Bea picks up her old hobby of skiing.

I loved Gigi’s voice. She reminded me a bit of myself, always overachieving and trying to be the best. She doesn’t care much about popularity, but there is still that feeling of wanting more. It was fun to see their different personalities and how they complement each other. They are supportive despite their different interests. Gigi is afraid of speaking in public (that’s me too), but they still get her to run for student rep. Seeing her grow and open up was great and I felt proud of her.


Besides the friendship, there are also two cute romances. There is a touch of love-triangle, but instead of being too much I understood the confusion. Will is the new boy and he is Gigi’s opponent. He is a true charmer and it wasn’t strange that she had a crush on him. He is nothing compared to Mike though, the boy she is supposed to dislike because he got her in troubles. He stole my heart right away and I enjoyed their banter. Mike was the perfect combination of smart and attractive. I liked how Gigi’s opinion about him changes throughout the story.

This book is the perfect combination of friendship, romance and developing. I highly recommend this book if you are in the mood for something fluffy with an important lesson.

36 comments

  1. This book sounds like a lot of fun. I love your review! I spy a 10 Ten Things I Hate About You gif.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard a lot about this book, but it sounds like something I would want to read. Adding it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about reading this book but was unsure how I would like switching between the three different girls' story. Does it switch every chapter and is it 1st person POV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is written from Gigi's POV the entire book. You can find a preview here:
      http://www.scribd.com/doc/95940548/Smart-Girls-Get-What-They-Want-by-Sarah-Strohmeyer

      Delete
  4. Aww, this sounds like such a cute book. Its been a long time since I read something that focuses both on romance and friendship. I haven't heard of the book yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on this :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really not interested in it because of the cover. It's a popular photo on the Internet, and I've seen it on quite a handful of amateur covers on writing sites. So this was the first time I decided checking out a review for it because my feed was practically empty. Maybe I will give it a try someday, especially because that love interest sounds really interesting, but the cover is still off-putting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, funny, the cover was what made me interested in the book (plus the great title)

      Delete
  6. This sounds soooo adorable! I added this one after Nick recommended it to me since I enjoyed The Secrets of Lily Graves and I cannot wait to read this one! :D I hope it'll be just as cute as it sounds! :)

    Fantastic review, Mel! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like The secrets, but this one was cute :)

      Delete
  7. I absolutely adored this book. It's the perfect fluffy read. Wonderful review - It reminded me just how much I loved this one and want to check out more of Sarah Stromeyer's adorable contemps! :) I was sad way back when the cover changed, though. I liked the previous one better.

    Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both of them, actually :) The other one is nerdy, but this one is also appealing with the soft colors.

      Delete
  8. I saw this before but somehow I wasn't interested. But reading your review makes me feels like I'm about to miss out a good & fun contemporary book. Might as well check it out. xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like I'll be at odds with whom to root for as well. I like the sound of the romance you mentioned, regardless of the dreadful love triangle.

    Great review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a really cute read, Mel! I love that cover and oh,that gif! Heath in Ten Things I Hate About You! I loved that movie! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been switching up genres lately as well. It's always a bit refreshing to me :) I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, this might not be my usual genre but after reading your review, I totally feel like checking it out! It sounds like a lot of fun and I really think the friendships and romance sound wonderful! And I love how you said it was a fluffy read BUT with an imporant lesson: HUGE plus right there! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention Mel and lovely review ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my go-to genre either, so I think this will be a good one for you too Micheline :)

      Delete
  13. Aw, amazing review Mel :D I'm not sure this would be a book for me, though :p I don't really read much of this genre, lol. But maybe one day :D I do like that cover. Pretty! And ack. Sounds like a sweet romance, hih. Though a touch of triangle? Noooo. Do not approve, lol. But anyway. I'm glad you liked the book :D <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, almos, but it's very subtle and quickly out of the way :)

      Delete
  14. This sounds wonderful! And 5 stars? Huzzah! ;)

    The emphasis on friendship sounds really great here. We don't get nearly enough positive friendships in YA, and it's so good that this has one! I can totally see Gigi, Bea and Neerja as me and my group of friends, which makes it so much more realistically.

    I love how you describe Gigi's voice. It's always great to find a character you can relate to, and seeing yourself in Gigi must have given you an awesome connection to the story overall. :) And I love how she really transforms and develops over the story!

    Even if the romance has a bit of a love triangle, the romance sounds really well-done nonetheless.

    Thanks for sharing Mel, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3 Definitely going to give this a try! :D

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I really miss friendships in a lot of books, so that was very refreshing to see :)

      Delete
  15. This is the first time I'm hearing about this book, and I love the title, lol. And I'm glad that that this was more than just an awesome title because despite all my rants about contemporaries, I've been reading quite a few good ones this year. :) Gigi sounds like someone I'll connect to pretty well, too! Well, I'm not exactly an overachiever, but I AM pretty ambitious and afraid of huge crowds as well. Getting to see such a relatable character develop would definitely be fun, I think.

    Aw, I'm loving the sound of Will already. I really don't mind love triangles because I know they happen in real life. It's just how cliche authors make them (they use them as sources of unnecessary drama that just makes me want to claw my eyes out), which makes me hate all the characters involved as well. T_T

    Lovely review, Mel! I'm hoping I'll get to read this in the future -- it sounds like something I'd enjoy a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title is fantastic, haha. The ambitious part of you will definitely find a connection with Gigi :D

      Delete
  16. Aww, yay! I've seen this one before but didn't really pay any attention to it. Contemporaries are just such fun when they're able to nail both the friendships and romance. :) Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen this one around but didn't quite think it would be this good! I think Gigi sounds like someone I could connect with too so will check this out soon.

    Such a pretty cover too-Nicely reviewed, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds great! I haven't actually seen this book around too much (although for some reason it's on my TBR lol- I thought I'd never heard of it before haha) but I feel like I'd really enjoy it! I'm definitely a bit of an overachiever as well, so Gigi sounds like she'd be a character I can relate to :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I have the same sometimes. That's what I get from adding so many books :p

      Delete
  19. I really like how you've described Gigi's personality, sounds like I could relate to her. The romance sounds really cute with some fun banter, definitely some chemistry there. Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! Such a fun book to read! I can't wait to get my hands on this!

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay I am really glad you liked this! I own this in some format (can't remember if it's Kindle or Hardcopy) but I plan to read it soon! It sounds perfect for summer reading :) And I think I will definitely be able to connect with Gigi!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eep! I love this review! That book sounds like such a refreshing change of pace. I'm adding it to the never ending TBR! :)

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
  23. This book looks positively delightful, and like a perfect read for in between chunksters! I bought this one on sale, and I'm looking forward to reading it soon. From your review, it sounds like a fun, light read. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read this last summer and quite liked it too! Like you, I relate to Gigi's overachieving tendencies as well as her aversion to public speaking. Overall I enjoyed the book a little less than you did (I rated it 3.5 stars) but I think it was because I wasn't much in the mood for a light read then. Anyway, yay for the 10 Ten Things I Hate About You gif!!

    Dea @ Teen Readers' Diary

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds like such a cute read. Sometimes it's nice to read a light, fun read and this seems perfect. Plus, I love the 10 Things gif! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.