Thursday, May 15, 2014 15:37

Review 261. Alyssa B. Sheinmel – Second star.

18465577Title: Second star.
Author: Alyssa B. Sheinmel.
Pages: 256.
Published: May 13th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Sort: Stand-alone, contemporary.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. Wendy is instantly drawn to the cove’s charismatic leader, Pete, but her search also points her toward Pete's nemesis, the drug-dealing Jas. Enigmatic, dangerous, and handsome, Jas pulls Wendy in even as she's falling hard for Pete. A radical reinvention of a classic, Second Star is an irresistible summer romance about two young men who have yet to grow up--and the troubled beauty trapped between them.
Rating:

My first thoughts after finishing this book: NOPE. Why did I even finish this book? I have no idea, because the ending makes the book feel like we returned to the beginning. It’s almost like there was no point to this story and that made it suck even more.

Wendy is still looking for her two brothers who disappeared six months ago. She is convinced they are still alive, surfing somewhere. It’s obvious that she is in denial and it’s not strange with the non-supportive friends and family. Her parents are too busy with their own grief and Fiona doesn’t want to understand Wendy.

This doesn’t mean that Wendy handles things the right way either. One day she just moves in with Pete in his house carved in the rock at the beach. She just met the guy, he kissed her after a couple of hours and he was creeping me out. I really didn’t like the rash decisions of Wendy. Or how Pete is already talking about being in love with her and how he lies to keep her there. So many things were wrong and this prevented me from seeing them as a possible couple. Plus, what the hell where her parents doing in the mean time? I sincerely hope they noticed her absence, but I wasn’t given any clue they were looking for her when she gets home the first time..

To make the creepy crew complete, there is also drugs dealer Jas. He is the archenemy of Pete, but I did like him a little better. At least he was honest and helpful, but again: she goes with him on a road trip to a place her brothers might be after their second meeting. The first time she ended up hallucinating at Fiona’s house, because she took drugs. Girl, did your parents never teach you to stay away from strangers? Jas is also the second character she instantly falls in love with, but that almost didn’t come as a surprise. I know that the blurb hinted this, but I hoped there was more time or at least a magical feeling. The romances went completely wrong for me. (Insta-love in the first 30 pages? I mean. Come on!)

I also disliked how her parents keep telling her she is imaging things. They don’t believe her story and say it’s only a way to deal with her brother’s death. And everything felt so flat. Besides annoyance for Wendy’s stupid decisions and a lot of head shakes for the insta-loves, I didn’t feel a thing. Combined with the ending which failed to end the story properly, I wouldn’t recommend this not succeeded attempt for a contemporary Peter Pan retelling. 2 stars for originality and the fact I managed to finish it.

wendy

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

25 comments:

  1. The premise was sounding good until the dreaded love triangle showed up, shudder. I'll be staying far away from this one-great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It’s almost like there was no point to this story and that made it suck even more." hahaha. I am not reading this one. Everything tells me to run away screaming. Your gif is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I found that gif, I just KNEW it was perfect for this review.

      Delete
  3. Wow, when I read the synopsis and realized it was a Peter Pan retelling, I got excited! And then I read your review. :) Too bad there were so many disappointing things about this - it would really annoy me that Wendy would make so many bad decisions! Everything about how this story was set up seems kind of weird too - I'm definitely going to give this a miss. I love the gif you used at the end too btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh darn sorry to see this one didn't work for you at all. I really enjoyed it.but I have to admit your "girl didn't your momma tell you" made me snort with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad that this wasn't so great :( I love retellings, but I think may end up passing on this one. The romance sounds very disappointing, especially since I don't like instalove at all. Thanks for the great, honest review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeks. Bit scared of this one. I don't think I've seen one positive review of it. I do love that you used the gif of Wendy throwing herself of the plank, though. That says it all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. UGH. Amazing review Mel. <3 But seriously. I'm so glad I never wanted to read this book. It sounds AWFUL. Everything about it sounds awful. Sigh. Insta-love? As if the triangle wasn't bad enough. Sigh. Thank you so much for being honest, though. <3 And yay to you for finishing it, lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. MERP! :O I've heard so many negative reviews for this one! D: From stalker Jas to robber Peter Pan! :( And it saddens me because I'm such a huge fan of the tale of Peter Pan!! When you pointed out that Wendy instantly falls in love with the boys it strikes me as though she falls in love with any boy who walks past her or she spends time with for a few hours xD It's sad that there were so many disappointing factors in this novel :( If I hadn't known, I would have dived into it because of my love for Peter Pan!! :3 But at least you gave it points for originality! Hey that counts for something ;)
    And I love the Wendy GIF by the way ;D I do hope something better comes your way, Mel!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely see her fall in love with every boy she comes across.. very disappointing.

      Delete
  9. It has insta-love written all over it; books that you neither like or hate are tricky ones. I read a book by Alyssa B. Sheinmel eons ago, I thinking it was a modern retelling of Rapunzel and I actually liked it. So I might give this one I try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This scares me. A LOT. Instalove in 30 pages? and then ANOTHER ONE? Uhmmmm and the fact that this is a Peter Pan retelling makes me really sad. The creepy factor too *shudders* Kudos to you for finishing it though! Thanks for the review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually really liked it. I liked how I could see some of the old Peter Pan tale but how Sheinmel wasn't afraid to change things. By the end, I was like "What just happened???" but in a good way. Also as for the part about her moving in with Pete, she tells her parents that she's on a road trip with her best friend and her best friend covers for her. I kind of bought it because I thought her parents were still grieving to even bother noticing what was going on with Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, guess I skipped that part. It makes it sound a little better, so thanks for sharing that! :)

      Delete
  12. Well, well, well - it looks like our little Wendy here has no sense of self-preservation at all. I'm extremely wary of strangers, and I don't think a person with the right state of mind would want to go with someone they just met, let alone kiss them D: Girl, giiiirl. Not buying it, and I won't be able to connect with the heroine this way, either. I'd be too busy raging about the stupidities to even bother! D: Great review all the same, though, Mel. Thanks for helping me steer clear!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to read this book (of course!) and it kept my interest throughout, but yeah...it could have, should have been a lot better. I barely remember what happened, actually. I liked it well enough, but the story wasn't very substantial, and a lot of the plotting/characterizations felt very vague. It's no TIGER LILY for sure.


    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't even come close to Tiger Lily.

      Delete
  14. Ack, I keep seeing not so good things about this one. I am an AVID fan of Peter Pan, so I am torn on whether or not to read this, merely because it is at least a re-telling of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always give it a shot! Try the library :)

      Delete
  15. I totally agree. I didn't care for the insta-love -- both Pete and Jas -- and the weird love triangle and the drugs and the fact that everything really did feel flat. I just didn't connect with much of anything, was frustrating with Wendy's decisions, and didn't connect with the writing either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was disappointed with Second Star. As I admit in my review I did like the characters, but I didn't care for their decisions. I just wanted more Peter Pan in the story. It was an original contemporary, but this was no Peter Pan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Recommending this book definitely to anyone who loves a modern spin on a fairy tale and is in for a completely mind bending story.

    Penelope
    South Bend Clutch

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0