Friday, May 09, 2014 06:00

Review 258. Sarah Raugley – Feather bound.

17829175Title: Feather bound.
Author: Sarah Raughley.
Pages: 304.
Published: May 6th 2014 by Strange Chemistry.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
When Deanna's missing friend Hyde turns up at his father's funeral to claim his corporate empire and inheritance, she is swept into his glittering world of paparazzi and wealth. But re-kindling her friendship and the dizzying new emotions along for the ride are the least of her concerns. Because Deanna has a secret – and somebody knows. Someone who is out to get Hyde. And if she doesn't play along, and help the enemy destroy him…she will be sold to the highest bidder in the black market for human swans. Now Deanna is struggling to break free from the gilded cage that would trap her forever…
Rating:

This book is bizarre, unique and so different from what I expected. I’m still not sure if that’s a good or a bad sign, but it was not how I imagined this book would be. It was supposed to be a Cinderella retelling. I could see some elements, but ‘retelling’ is a big word in this book. I would prefer to call it subtly inspired and it reminded me more of mythology (Selkie) and the swan princess.

Deanna is the hard working sister who tries to take care of her family. Her mother died years ago, her father is a alcoholic, one of her sisters is married and the other likes to spend her money on herself. The MC felt a bit like a Mary Sue to me. I can’t be bothered by it in a fairy tale, but I was hoping to get more in this book. There was room enough to make her a better developed character. That doesn’t take away that she wasn’t a bad character. She was brave and strong.

When Deanna and her family attend a funeral from her father’s old friend, she finds out that her friend from the past isn’t dead. Hyde has been gone for 9 years and he is back to claim his father’s company. Deanna is hurt and confused. I like how she turns away from him, because she feels betrayed. Hyde has a hard time and he takes a lot of effort to talk to Deanna, but she refuses him and it felt very realistic to me. I wasn’t sure what to think about him though. He keeps a lot of secrets and that made it hard to connect with him. I never had the feeling I knew him.

Deanna’s life is turned upside down when one day her back ‘cracks open like an egg’ and feathers appear; she is a swan. The first time I was introduced to a swan I thought everyone was going to freak out, but apparently everyone is aware that there are swan-like humans in the society. Being a swan makes you vulnerable. When you take away their feather cape, they are yours and must obey all your wishes. So when Anton – Hyde’s enemy cousin – finds out that Deanna is a swan, he uses that information to manipulate her. He wants her to destroy Hyde, because he wants revenge for stealing his business and for putting his father in jail.

Deanna is torn between her freedom and Hyde, especially when her old feelings are returning when they start to date. I already predicted what was going to happen and I was aware of Hyde’s secret, but that didn’t take away that I liked the plot. I thought it was interesting to see these swans and how people use them for their own pleasure. Sarah doesn’t shy away from the gruesome fact that swans are raped and abused. I liked how she included a fairy tale to show that fact and overall, it was a story I’ve never read before, so credits for the creativity.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

25 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty interesting and quite bizarre at the same time. I have never heard of any book with this same concept though, but I agree that it's kind of a far cry from a retelling. Highly different in that respect, so inspired by is most probably the most inappropriate word for this. I'm not sure if I'll be reading this, though. I mean it got three stars, but that also signifies it wasn't anything special, at least enough to stand out. Thanks for the review, Mel!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a good book. Too many flaws to be outstanding, but still interesting.

      Delete
  2. Ermm, I meant the most appropriate** LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this is kind of set in the real world? Like a paranormal/magical realism? I was expecting more of a high fantasy tbh haha. It does sound pretty creative though! Might be worth reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's our modern world, so I was expecting a lot of freaking-out when the swan appeared, haha. But it's 'normal'

      Delete
  4. Oh. This book sounds complicated, lol. But also kind of good. I'm glad you enjoyed it a little at least :D Great review Mel. <3 It sounds a bit brutal, though. Hm. I like brutal. If the story/romance is good as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's some premise! I was going along with it, until her back sprouted wings, now I'm not so sure lol. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright some of that just sounds strange - yes you're right the whole left of the feather cape and controlling them is more selkie - odd mix there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they could have targeted this book better. Leave out the Cinderella inspiration.

      Delete
  7. Selkie and the swan princess? Ooohh...I'm intrigued! That's not something you see every day! (+ 10 brownie points for Sarah right off the bat!) Despite the fact that Deanna was a bit Mary Sue-like and lacked a bit of development, I'm glad everything else was well done! I'm definitely going to see what other reviewers think of this and I'll definitely give it a try if everything continues to seem positive overall. Thanks so much for sharing Mel, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. "one day her back ‘cracks open like an egg’ and feathers appear" Whoa that's freaky and unique - the swan thing and all. I was expecting an angel or something >.< I'm always up for a strange book I feel like I like them more than most bc I'm getting so tired of the same story, different characters you know. Great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Cracks open like an egg".. I wish I could've gone far enough to see this scene. I DNFed this book pretty early in because I hated the characters already. :( Maybe I'll try this again some other time, since I do like bizarre stories. Awesome review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to like a book when you hate the MC :(

      Delete
  10. Hmm this is a really unique and strange book, I've never really read anything about selkies before so I don't know much about them. But the concept of swans swanning around in public is really different. Thanks for your review Mel!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I loved The Swan Princess growing up! It was my absolute favorite fairy tale movie and I've always been really intrigued by the swan princess/Swan Lake story. I think I'll have to give Feather Bound a try, even though it sounds a little bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been paying this one much attention, but it sounds pretty interesting, even if a bit unusual. I don't mind that it's more subtly inspired by Cinderella than an actual retelling, though I guess it's better knowing that before going in. And I'm glad to hear that the predictability of it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the plot. Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to know what I can expect. I was constantly looking for the Cinderella elements, but it wasn't really there.

      Delete
  13. So this made me think of the Greek mythology where Zeus turns into a swan in order to take advantage of a human woman: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leda_and_the_Swan

    If you've ever heard of The Swan Theives, it revolves around a painting of this story. It is a creepy myth, but I wonder if it inspired this book at all? (The Swan Theives is pretty good btw).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truthfully, this one sounds a little too weird for me. But definitely creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0