Monday, May 05, 2014 10:14

Review 257. Cassandra Clarke – The wizard’s promise.

18310322Title: The wizard’s promise.
Author: Cassandra Rose Clarke.
Pages: 336.
Publication date: May 6th 2014 by Strange Chemistry.
Sort: The Hanna duology #1.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
All Hanna Euli wants is to become a proper witch – but unfortunately, she’s stuck as an apprentice to a grumpy fisherman. When their boat gets caught up in a mysterious storm and blown wildly off course, Hanna finds herself further away from home than she’s ever been before. As she tries to get back, she learns there may be more to her apprentice master than she realized, especially when a mysterious, beautiful, and very non-human boy begins following her through the ocean, claiming that he needs Hanna’s help.
Rating:

This duology is a spin-off for The assassin’s curse and The pirate’s wish,  two books I enjoyed a lot. This story has the same feeling to it and it has the same problem: the middle part is sometimes a bit boring.

Hanna is an apprentice for fisherman Kolur. She can practice her wind magic on their trips, but this time they end up in a magical storm and they are blown to a place far from their hometown. Kolur adds another woman to their group, also a wind magician, and he sets sail for a journey. Hanna has no idea what is happening, so she escapes and starts to work with another fisher boat for money. The problem is, she is still haunted by the ‘Mist’, which is a group of monsters lead by one man. Her new friend, the not-so-human boy, is warning her. She must help Kolur on his journey or the Mist will become even more powerful.

First off, Cassandra managed to write another story with a great world-building. I liked all the different powers, the way she describes the sea and the villages Hanna visits. The only thing is that I wish to see even more of it. The middle part of the book is more about Hanna and her work on the boat. When I came to that point, I wish there was more action or character interaction. I don’t have the feeling I know much about Hanna at this point, only that she can take care or herself and that she is quite intelligent. It was fun to see her magic grow and how she starts to get more control over it.

The Mist is something I remember from The assassin’s curse. The girl Hanna is named after defeated them, but apparently they are back and more dangerous than ever. The idea behind the journey is great and I can’t wait to see how that is going to unravel in the sequel. Hanna’s friend make sure that we know how horrible it is if the Mist succeeds with their plan.

Overall, a good, solid fantasy book, but I hope that the sequel provides more action and character connection.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like an entertaining spin off from the original series. Thanks for your review Mel!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like an interesting spin off, haven't read the others, but it sounds pretty cool. I would be willing got give this a try! I'm glad you liked it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy the sequel better, but I'm glad you still enjoyed this one. I haven't heard much about the duology so I'll have to look them up. Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried reading The Assassin's Curse but I didn't fare well, unfortunately. I might suffer the same fate with this one.

    Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you didn't like that one, I don't think you would like this book. It has the same feeling and style.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read it (and I need to read it soon!) and I really liked her first book series so hopefully this one will do. Glad you still liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree that more character development is needed! It was just very difficult to connect with any of the characters in this book...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Mel :D I'm sorrry you didn't love this, but glad you enjoyed it :) I have yet to read the first two (A) but now I own them all, hih :D Is excited. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that cover is gorgeous! The plot sounds interesting but I'm kind of wary to read it because The Assassin's Curse was a DNF book for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I would not recommend trying this one! It's almost feels the same as The assassin's curse.

      Delete
  9. I've had a copy of The Assassin's Curse for ages but still haven't read it. I'm glad to know that the middle of this, and that, is slow so I can keep plugging onward when I read it! Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I know for sure that I'm not going to read The Assassin's Curse! Thanks for comparing the two! :D
    I read this one too and didn't like it,I didn't like The Mad Scientist's Daughter either. That's why I only got this review book instead of buying and reading the other series first. I guess Cassandra and I just don't work out. I love her ideas and worldbuilding but besides that, her stories can never satisfy me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes authors just don't work for us. I'm happy I could help you and yes, I think it's better if you don't read The assassin's curse if you didn't like this!

      Delete
  11. This is exactly my gripe with this book. The world is beautiful, the way magic works is beautiful, but nothing happens. Like absolutely nothing. Most of the time we're just dilly-dallying in the boat doing the same things over and over and over again and it's just nauseating! :| I'm glad to see I'm not alone in these thoughts *hugs* are you willing to read the next book of the duology?

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a duology and I enjoy the world-building, so I want to finish it :) I hope the story gets more interesting once they arrive at their quest.

      Delete
  12. I've been wanting to read this series from the very start so I was curious what fans of the series thought of this one. Yours is the second review I've read saying you were left a little...underwhelmed. It's funny because she also mentioned that once again the world-building was superb so I guess just that is enough for me to want to check it out. I'm sad that it didn't quite live up to the original series though. But you still enjoyed it and that makes me happy :) Great review Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was more plot, this book would have been so much better :)

      Delete
  13. I didn't end up enjoying The Pirate's Wish as much as I'd hoped, so really didn't consider giving this book a go, but it sounds like Clarke does provide an interesting read. I'm sorry the middle fell a little flat for you, but I hope you end up enjoying the sequel even more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though it was enjoyable, I'm sorry that the character development and action lacked a bit. Like you said, hopefully the sequel fixes that! Everything else sounds pretty darn good though, so I think I'm going to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing Mel, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  15. Myesh, I felt the same way. LOVE Cassandra's world building and magical system! But man, was this book ever SLOW in parts! I definitely also hope the action gets ramped up for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she adds more action (and perhaps some romance) it will be a much better read!

      Delete
  16. I added all the first books by Cassandra Clarke to my tbr basically upon sight, because I adore the covers and also because they sound like a really fantastic fantasy series that I have little doubt I'll be able to get behind, but I'm sorry to hear it could definitely have been a better read for you! I hope the sequel is better rounded. Reading the first paragraph I'm pretty perplexed about all these things- Wind Magician, magical storms, the Mist... but it sounds really interesting, so I'm pretty excited! Great review, Mel! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are enough interesting things, but they need to get explored some more.

      Delete
  17. Honestly, The Pirate's Wish let me down because I expected answers and I didn't feel like I got them. I didn't even know there was a spinoff to the series but I might wait to see how the second book turns out before I decide whether or not to read this one. The mysterious mist is something I felt wasn't full explained. Is that still the case in this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's still a little vague. You get some glimpses of what is going on, but I hope it gets better explored in the sequel.

      Delete
  18. That is a bit discouraging that the middle hits such a lull but I am totally still holding out hope!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0