Thursday, May 29, 2014 11:39

Armchair BEA: Beyond the borders.

ArmchairBEA LogoExample
It’s time to step outside your comfort zone, outside your borders, or outside of your own country or culture. 

Tell us about the books that transported you to a different world, taught you about a different culture, and/or helped you step into the shoes of someone different from you. What impacted you the most about this book?

What books would you recommend to others who are ready or not ready to step over the line? In essence, let’s start the conversation about diversity and keep it going!

Some of my comfort zones are fantasy, fairytales & retellings and dystopian books. When I branch out to other genres, one of those is contemporary. I’ve found out that the fluffy ones aren’t really my thing, unless I’m in the rare mood for something easy and cute, but the darker/heavier contemporary books work for me. If you are like me and starting to appreciate this genre, I would recommend giving these a shot:



18599754Cammie McGovern – Say what you will.
Expected publication: June 3rd 2014 by HarperTeen.Born with cerebral palsy, Amy can't walk without a walker, talk without a voice box, or even fully control her facial expressions. Plagued by obsessive-compulsive disorder, Matthew is consumed with repeated thoughts, neurotic rituals, and crippling fear. Both in desperate need of someone to help them reach out to the world, Amy and Matthew are more alike than either ever realized. When Amy decides to hire student aides to help her in her senior year at Coral Hills High School, these two teens are thrust into each other's lives. As they begin to spend time with each other, what started as a blossoming friendship eventually grows into something neither expected.

This book is amazing. I was lucky enough to get an ARC and my review will be up soon, but I need to highlight this book. People need to know about this fantastic story with two characters who have to deal with problems in their daily life. They start an unexpected friendship and it was such a heart-warming tale. I was touched by Amy and how strong she is. The way she looks at life; I’m not sure I would be able to be as strong as her.

15777621Leila Sales – This song will save your life.
Published September 17th 2013 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

This story had a huge impact of me, like you can see in my review. I was emotionally touched by Elise in the beginning and ending of the book. The lonely feeling she had, the urge to change herself in order to be liked – and then how she developed and grew to love herself for who she is. Even thinking about that and how I could connect with her on such a personal level make me feel understood again.

11870085John Green – The fault in our stars.
Published January 10th 2012 by Dutton Books

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

I think almost everyone is familiar with this book, but the thing I still like about this story is how hopeful it feels. It wasn’t heavy, despite everything that happens and the ending that made me tear up.

Do you have any recommendations for me?


author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

29 comments:

  1. Contemporary is not really my go to genre either. Like you I prefer antasy, dystopia, and fairytales/re-tellings. I agree with what you said about TFiOS, although it's based on a heavy topic, I appreciated the humour and the hopeful tone. A dark/heavy topic contemp book that took me by surprise and that I wasn't expecting to love was Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry. A more fluffier read I'd suggest when you're in the mood is Suite Dreams or Love on the Lifts by Rachel Hawthorne. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to check out the ones from Rachel Hawthorne! Thanks Renu :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful books you've listed here, I loved This Song and TFIOS and will probably love the first one too. Some ones along a similar vein are probably The Beginning of Everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read some good things about that book, I might pick it up soon :)

      Delete
  3. I still haven't read the Fault in our Stars although i do plan on reading it eventually. I actually do read a lot of contemporary romance and I hardly read any fairytales of retellings. I love fantasy and dystopia like you do and recently I've been trying to read a bit more sci-fi. I talk today on my blog about those genres I hardly read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny to see how different readers are :D

      Delete
  4. Great picks here! I really want to read the first one and I liked the second one, but I loved TFioS!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Fault in Our Stars. Boy did it blow me away. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting that books set in the contemporary are outside your comfort zone. I've heard great things about the books you've listed here but I haven't read them myself.

    - Lianne @ caffeinatedlife.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choices. I have Say What You Will in my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only recently started to get into contemporary more, and I'm currently reading The Fault in Our Stars. So far I've read mainly light contemporaries but I think I'll definitely be delving into the darker stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Contemporaries are also outside of my comfort zone. Thanks for the great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen Say What You Will mentioned on a few blogs, but I always skipped over it. I think I'll give it a shot now, if it was THAT good. If you're looking for some of the heavier/darker contemporaries, I really recommend Me Since You by Laura Wiess. It had a huge impact in my life, and it's an incredibly powerful book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, it was! :) Me since you *writes down*

      Delete
  11. I spend way too little time going beyond my comfort zone. All the recommendations I've received are going to help change that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay, I hope you find some unexpected gems! :)

      Delete
  12. With the movie coming out soon, I feel I need a copy of John Green's book stat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This Song will Save your Life and, The Fault in our Stars effected my hugely. I realy loved reading them. Heavy Contemporaries that have meaning behind them put me wayy outside my comfort zone. Mainly due to the fact they always make me cry. Ha!

    Wonderful post Mel <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with what you said about This Song and TFIOS. While I didn't LOVE TFIOS like most people, I definitely enjoyed reading it mainly thanks to the humor but I also liked how Hazel looks at life accepts what happened to Gus. And This Song was a super relatable book for me. I'm so glad that you thought the same. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm yet to read that book, The Fault in our stars. I hope to get to it soon. Your blog is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing post Mel. <3 Ahh. The Fault in Our Stars! So much love. Ohh. I just recently read She Is Not Invisible. The main girl is blind. You should read it. It is a beautiful story and beauitful writing :) I think you would love it. I hope. Maybe. Anyway. Thank you for sharing this awesome post :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know you love your fairy tales and retellings! It is great that you go outside your comfort zone. I also prefer 'darker' contemporary because sometimes the fluffy ones are overkill. I still need to read This Song Will Save Your Life as well. It does sound like a book that can impact a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's very easy to relate with, because a lot of teenagers are bullied or have lonely feelings.

      Delete
  18. I've started to see Say What You Will around the book blogs a lot so I'm getting really interested! I know I'd love a book when you love it! :D This Song Will Save Your life has literally been on my TBR since it came it but I've never gotten around to it. :'( Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This Song WIll Save Your Life and The Fault In Our Stars are such good choices. I need to read Say What You Will, although it will probably break my heart. I like books that make me think/give me a new perspective and I generally go for the heavier contemporaries for this also.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always loved the contemporary genre. Which I find funny because I read to escape but the contemporary genre is just like our world :P Oh, well, what can you do~ I am so, so excited for Say What You Will! I have it on preorder and This Song Will Save Your Life really spoke to me. The Fault in Our Stars is a book that I didn't like much, but I did like Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl a lot, which reminds me of TFiOS :)

    Great post, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, as long as you can escape, it doesn't matter what genre you read :D

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0