Wednesday, April 09, 2014 11:23

Review 249. Julie Kagawa – The forever song.

17883441Title: The forever song.
Author: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 416.
Expected publication: April 15th 2014 by Harlequin Teen.
Sort: Blood of Eden #3.
Part 1. The immortal rules.
Part 2. The eternity cure.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Link: Goodreads.
VENGEANCE WILL BE HERS. Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer. MONSTER. Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions—her creator, Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost—the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie. In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, triumph is short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.
Rating:

It was a rollercoaster of feelings. I was frightened, disgusted, terrified and happy all at the same time. I’m sad to say goodbye to this stories and the characters I’ve grown to love, but Kagawa did it again. A fantastic ending to one of the best vampire series I’ve ever read. It was hard finding the right words to do this story justice, but I hope I can convince you to read this series if you haven’t read the first book yet. This review is therefor completely spoiler-free.

There are often authors who excel in one aspect of writing, but Kagawa manages to nail them all.

World-building.
From the moment I started this series I loved the idea of this apocalyptic world where vampires rule over humans in cities and where our kind is plagued by a Red Lung virus and rabids. I never thought the situation could be any more worse, but that’s exactly what happens here. The maniac Sarren wants to use a mutated virus to clean the earth from every inhabitant. The rabids he uses are TERRIFYING. Kagawa has her way with words and it’s gross. Detailed, bloody and horrible: I loved it. There are multiple fighting scenes and they definitely made my heart pump faster.

Writing-style.
Like a movie. I was swept away in the story and the emotions of our cast. I was completely sucked into the story, which made some situations quite tense. Like I said in the intro: I went through a rollercoaster of feelings. Kagawa is a master in playing with your feelings and she knows how to paint a picture. Which is in this case quite a grim, scary place.

Characters.
tumblr_n0mmvnkGjY1rc3z3ro1_500
”Oh, isn’t that sweet,” came Jackal’s loud, mocking voice before I could reply. “Let’s make goo-goo eyes at each other in the middle of a stinking corpse field, how very romantic.” Ignoring my glare, he kicked an arm out of his way and sauntered forward, the ax vanishing beneath his duster once more.

First of all: JACKAL. If Klaus and Damon from Vampire Diaries could get a child, it would be Jackal. This guy stole my heart with his sarcasm and blunt way of thinking. He has embraced his monster part, but I like the glimpses of good. His banters with his blood sister Allie were the best. I chuckled through their dialogues. I liked how unpredictable he is and he lightens every situation with his humor – and sometimes surprisingly smart remarks.

tumblr_n2rasouN1g1s8c6bfo1_500Allie, our tragic heroin who has to deal with the loss of her love Ezekiel (Zeke). She is incredibly confused in the beginning and she is starting to lose her sanity. I thought it was a realistic portrayal of her personality. The somewhat weakness in these moments made me admire her strength even more. It bordered on the line of whiny, but I tried to remember that she is only a new vampire. It's not strange that her feelings are a mess. She is still a bit reckless, but her heart is in the right place and I like determined characters.

tumblr_n0lm6a0xjK1ts4qo6o1_500Attractive, strong Kanin. The master vampire who is disappointed with Jackal, but who has high hopes for Allie. I like how he is always silent, brooding and mysterious, but at the same time deadly and powerful. His calming presence was a great addition to the story and he completed this trio in their quest to avenge and stop Sarren.

tumblr_mwxy1uc0jj1s04h99o1_500Who is an absolute freak. He must be one of the scariest and most mental disturbed characters I’ve ever read about. His actions show that he has no mercy and he is so convinced that is right. He leaves a path of destruction behind him when he is on his way to destroy the whole world. Kagawa still manages to make him a realistic character instead of a caricature. The fact that he believes that he is making the world better, makes him even creepier. His darkness combined with the already bleak situation made this book one hell of a ride.

There are some heart-breaking situations and some surprising twists, so what are you waiting for?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

23 comments:

  1. I love this world. It's unique and Kagawa has a way woth words that make every world awesome imo. Also, yes! She know how to play with one's feels. Lols! I don't know what everyone's deal is with Jackal. I really need to read book 2 asap since I hate that douche atm, but you know.. he won people over in The Etenrity Cure and The Forever song :D I love Allie and I don't think of her as anything whini. Haha. Sarren is just.. no words :D I'm glad you enjoyed the finale, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackal needs to grow on you :D It takes some time, but haha, I loved him in this one.

      Delete
  2. Amazing review Mel. <3 So happy that you liked this book. I really loved it as well. Such an amazing ending to an awesome trilogy. <3 Really wish for a fourth book though, hih :) And ahh. Sarren! Yess. He is awful. Yet I really loved reading about him. Hm. Thank you for sharing your awesome review. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or at least a spin-off to see if the world is changing! :D

      Delete
  3. i also really enjoyed Jackal's humor and snark, really kept me entertained and story a little lighter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Klaus and Damon! I've never thought of that before, but yep, so very fitting. I love Jackal's character. :D A little bit of humour and banter is always refreshing in a bleak story like this. And one thing I've always appreciated about Julie Kagawa is her ability to create a vivid picture. The world-building in her books is always spot on. I can't wait to read this one soon, and I'm really glad to see that it worked for you. Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Jackal is hilarious. Yes, the way she creates a world always amazes me. It's like walking around there, which was quite terrifying in this book.

      Delete
  5. Yay so glad this book is good! I'm so excited for it! Jackal was my favourite character in the last book, and finally we get to see more of Kanin. I love that all the gifs are from vampire diaries haha.

    Jord @ Miss Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also very happy with more Kanin scenes!

      Delete
  6. LOL! Sarren's definitely creepy. Jackal was super amazing and I just adored the world building! I definitely had a lot of feels as well, but I wasn't a huge fan of Allie and Zeke in this one, sadly. Lovely review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. How have I never read a Julie Kagawa book? Her world-building sounds awesome and great characters that you can really get attach to. I love the sound of all the creepiness, too. I may have to give these books a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am waiting for The Immortal Rules to come in at my library!!! But I am so excited to hear that this was a "fantastic ending to one of the best vampire series" Can't wait!!!

    PS: Love TVD gifs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol you and I are so going to disagree in this review. I had so little to say about the book that I ended up writing a "5 Reasons to Read the Series" post instead of a review..

    "It was a rollercoaster of feelings. I was frightened, disgusted, terrified and happy all at the same time. " -- Hahaha first disagreement! I was so bored reading this. I'm glad someone got lots of emotion out of it though!

    "A fantastic ending to one of the best vampire series I’ve ever read." - I agree on the ending, that's for certain. Seemed realistic to all the characters, themes, the plot. Everything. Which is good considered how terribly awry series enders can go, yeah?

    "From the moment I started this series I loved the idea of this apocalyptic world where vampires rule over humans in cities and where our kind is plagued by a Red Lung virus and rabids. I never thought the situation could be any more worse, but that’s exactly what happens here... Kagawa has her way with words and it’s gross. Detailed, bloody and horrible: I loved it. There are multiple fighting scenes and they definitely made my heart pump faster." --- I will agree with you there. She's excellent at building her worlds. Lots of details and atmosphere and I definitely didn't expect that extra tidbit with the rabids. But I also feel like we didn't learn very much about the world over the series. There's a few basic things and the rest is atmospheric details. I like that sometimes but ehhhhhh.

    "First of all: JACKAL. If Klaus and Damon from Vampire Diaries could get a child, it would be Jackal." -- Hee. I just thought of him as Damon from Season 1 minus the love triangle elements. But Damon x Klaus also works as a comparison. I'm with you here - I did like his humor. And the good.

    "Allie, our tragic heroin who has to deal with the loss of her love Ezekiel (Zeke). She is incredibly confused in the beginning and she is starting to lose her sanity. I thought it was a realistic portrayal of her personality. The somewhat weakness in these moments made me admire her strength even more. It bordered on the line of whiny, but I tried to remember that she is only a new vampire. It's not strange that her feelings are a mess. She is still a bit reckless, but her heart is in the right place and I like determined characters." -- Heh, Allie is still my favorite character of the trilogy but the boredom kicked in because of how she kept reverting back to emotional stage 1. Stuff that she'd dealt with in the previous books. And not having other plot bits to challenge her :O. But I agree with you that she's certainly determined and her heart in the right place :O.

    "Attractive, strong Kanin. The master vampire who is disappointed with Jackal, but who has high hopes for Allie." -- I had a thing where I really wanted Allie and Kanin to get together. Did Kagawa have some sort of attraction scene in the 2nd book? I feel like at some point, something happened that put Kanin/Allie idea into my head and then reading this book, I was like, oooooo charged silences even though this is never ever gonna happen!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cracks knuckles* Cool, I like seeing the opposite reaction.

      -Ohhh, interesting! I thought it was very exciting, especially with all those fight scenes.
      -It was such a relief! I wasn't expecting anything else from Kagawa, but still seeing how it all ended, I was so happy.
      -Hmm, that's also very true. There was a lot of world-building, but perhaps she could have explored it even more.
      -Haha, I think a lot of people imagine him as Damon.
      -YES! I was shipping them a little too, haha.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, this one sounds like an amazing read!
    I'm actually kinda reluctant to start another book by Kagawa, since I don't really like her Iron Fey series, but it seems like everyone has been saying nothing but good thig about this series!
    And how could I resist when the writing is so vivid like a movie, and the character sounds really amazing? Your review really made me curious about this Jackal huy! Sounds like a lovable character! :D

    Nice review, Mel! Thanks for sharing :)

    Neysa @ Papier Revue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her Iron fey series was okay for me, it did get better after the first book, but this one is phenomenal! :)

      Delete
  11. I'm super excited to read this one, and I love that Kagawa continues her disturbingly gory and thrilling scenes! I am a little nervous about Allie - I heard she's still dealing with the angst of being a "monster" which is something I thought we had finally gotten past by the end of Eternity! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does But I actually really liked that, because it made her look so realistic to me :)

      Delete
  12. You never answered my most important question Mel, IS THERE A HAPPY ENDING? ;D
    But YES, I'm glad to see more Jackal! He's such an interesting and unique character! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to start the first book real soon -- probably this weekend after I'm done with Scarlet ;D I'm into gory stuff right now because of an anime I started last week soI hope I will enjoy it because helloo badass, bloodthirsty vampires, how cool is that? ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0