Friday, February 28, 2014 12:25

Fairytale News | The fairytale survey.


This is a 'new' feature I came up with. I will be talking about everything that has to do with reading. From pretty new covers to discussions about books. I will post them randomly.

This is inspired by the awesome Jasmine from Flip that page, who creates fun tags like Harry Potter. So, here is the same idea but only with fairy tales! I had a lot of fun trying to come up with fairy tales and fitting questions. You can answer this survey in two parts or just answer everything in one. Please leave a link to this survey if you decided to answer them and I highly appreciate linking back for credits.

PART 1. CLASSIC PRINCESSES.

Pinocchio – The boy whose nose grows when he lies.
Is there are book you lie about, because you feel ashamed for liking it?
I’m never ashamed by the books I read. I posted a discussion about it: why you shouldn’t feel ashamed.

Beauty and the beast – The girl who fell in love with personality.
Which book do you love that has a hideous cover?
I don’t LOVE it, but I didn’t think I would end up enjoying Vampire Academy – Richelle Mead. The Angelina Jolie look-a-like doesn’t work for me.

Snow white Hunted down for her beauty.
Do you ever buy a book based on the cover alone and if so, what is the last one?
I’ve run out of space and I must be careful with money, so I can’t afford buying many books based on covers. The last one is Abby Graham – Wentworth Hall, because it was cheap and I liked the 1900’s vibe.

Sleeping beauty – Cursed to sleep, awakened by true loves kiss.
 What is your favorite book couple?
Celaena/Chaol for sure! I loved their chemistry and how they disliked each other in the beginning. For me, they share the true loves kiss.

Little Mermaid – Gave up on her old life for love.
Do you ever branch out to new genres or do you like to stick with the ones you know and love? If you try new things out, what is the latest book?
I like to branch out, but in the end I always like to return to my beloved genres. The latest book I’ve tried was Leila Sales – This song will save your life, a contemporary story about an insecure girl who starts to appreciate herself for who she is.

Cinderella – Who lost her shoe after midnight.
What is the last book that made you stay up all night?
Danielle L. Jensen – Stolen songbird. I was captured by the setting and the characters. My review will be up somewhere in April, but definitely keep an eye on this book!

Rapunzel – locked up in a tower.
What is  the worst books you’ve read last month?
Ruth Warburton – Witch finder. It was boring, filled with annoying characters and animal cruelty.


PART 2. MIX-MATCH.

Aladdin – The poor boy who found a genie.
What is the latest book treasure/gem you found?
For me, that has to be one of my new favorite books: Cruel beauty by Rosamund Hodge.
Alice in Wonderland – The girl who fell through a rabbit’s hole.
Which book made you really feel like you landed in another world?
Maria Snyder - Fire study. I loved walking besides Yelena and Valek. I'm very happy she decided to write a couple more books in this series!

East of the sun and west of the moon – where a girl embarks on a journey to save her love.
Who is one of your favorite kick-ass heroines?
I'm going to pick the last kick-ass girl I've encountered and that is Scarlet from A.C Gaughen's - Scarlet. She is feisty girl who knows how to fight with knives and words.

The Frog Prince – where an enchanted prince becomes human again.
What is a book you thought you would hate, but end up loving?
John Green - The fault in our stars. I'm not such a contemporary fan, but this book showed me that I like the darker/heavier contemporary stories.

Hansel and Gretel – left alone in the woods and captured by a witch.
Which duo (sister/sister, brother/sister) is your favorite and why?
It's a shame that there aren't many duo's in books and I had to think long and hard about this question. I love the connection from all the sisters in Jessica Day George's Princess series.

Little Red Riding Hood – almost eaten by a wolf dressed as her grandmother.
What book disappointed you after falling in love with the cover and blurb?
Cayla Kluver - The queen's choice. I loved the look from the cover and I thought the story would be more exiting. It ended up being bland and rather boring.

Rumpelstilskin – nobody knows his name.
Which book do you love that doesn’t get enough attention?
If I think about one of the book I truly love and hope everyone would read it: The book thief by Markus Zusak. Or perhaps one of my favorite adult fantasy authors: Juliet Marillier.

So, I decided to answer with some of my most recent books. What do you think about my first survey? Do you agree with my picks? Definitely link back if you decide to fill in this survey! I might do something like this in the future with less-popular tales.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

79 comments:

  1. Vampire Academy, Stolen Songbird, Cruel Beauty, Fire Study (Yelena and Valek in particular), Scarlet. <3 Lovely survey and even lovelier picks that I would have to agree with! (Except for Celaena/Chaol *shudders* But that's just me, lol! Of course we're all entitled to our own opinions. ^_^)

    Aimee @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee this is lovely!! :D Would you mind if I participated? :) I might want to post a survey about this on my blog too, it's such a lovely idea :3 I totally agree that Caelena and Chaol should be Aurora!! Their romance is just *O* I totally agree that Juliet Marillier doesn't get enough attention. I truly adore her works!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are free to fill in the survey, but I do appreciate a link back to this post! :D

      Delete
  3. Love this!!! I totally agree that The Vampire Academy cover is SO Angelina Jolie-ish!!!

    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun! Well last night I stayed up til 2am reading The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison!

    I bought Sister Red purely because of the cover and ...I so didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite liked Sister red, actually! It's a shame you didn't though.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this survey! I am going to post my answers tomorrow. I found your blog from someone else who posted this survey and I'm really happy I did! I'm a new BlogLovin follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your answers :D Definitely come back to leave your link!

      Delete
  6. Yay, surveys! I love doing surveys so I'm really so excited that you decided to do this. It's about time we had a fairy-tale version! Can't wait to fill this out! :) And yes to The Book Thief and OMG the girl really does look like Angelina Jolie! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, I look forward to your answers Annie :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't even finished the post but OH MY GOD SOMEONE ELSE FINALLY AGREES WITH ME ABOUT THE ANGELINA JOLIE THING. I feel like I've just been freed xD

    And I can't agree with you more about the Queen's Choice - I DNFed at 10% because I just had NO connection with the story or characters at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea!! I love fairy tales so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOOHOO! I love this survey! *.* I definitely agree with your first two answers! :D I can't wait to try this on the blog! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay, I can't wait for you to answer these questions :D

      Delete
  10. I totally agreed with your picks, especially the Celaena/Chaol ship. You picked some wonderful ones to match the fairy tale. Really fitting on The Daily Prophecy :)

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chaol and Celaena! I loved them. What I really love about the Throne of Glass love triangle is that it's hard to pick just one side because both boys are equally good for her, just in their own ways. I definitely think Chaol can keep up with her better than Dorian; he's just as witty and not to mention equally as dangerous with a sword.

    I love these surveys. :P They're always so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorian & Chaol are both wonderful guys, but I prefer the moody, silent guys :D

      Delete
  12. Yes to Chaol and Celaena! They aren't me no 1 couple but definitely near the top of my list.

    Fabulous post, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is such an amazing idea Mel. I love your answers and I totally agree that you shouldn't be ashamed of what you're reading. If you're enjoying it it's all that matters. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eughhh the Vampire Academy covers have always been one of my least favourite covers in my favourite YA books. :/ Just...blah.

    EEEP YES FIRE STUDY. I loved that series so unbelievably much. Yelena/Valek. <3

    Ahhh The Book Thief. Such an amazing book that really does have to be read again, and again, and again and again and again. Such a beautiful story. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say they aren't my type of covers :p I'm SO excited for more books. Valek <3

      Delete
  15. AHH I cannot wait for more of Valek and Yelena but it sucks that there still isn't any information about the when.. I mean I want these books asap, they are one of my top ships.

    And I totally agree, none of the covers in the Vampire Academy series were great. I am not even going to lie.

    I LOVE THIS SURVEY. This really is a great idea and I so want to answer everyone of those questions but it would tale so long trying to dig up books I read so long ago.

    Lovely post, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always answer them with your most recent books :) Thanks Rashika!

      Delete
  16. Aw, I love this post :D Thank you for sharing Mel. <3 You are awesome. I don't feel ashamed for liking any books either :) And ohh. The Book Thief. I do own a gorgeous paperback of it.. must read it sometime, hih. Just worried, since I know the ending it pretty heartbreaking..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a brilliant idea!! :) Aw I read The Book Thief but wasn't all that taken by it. Saw the film the other day though and it's so good! Many of my answers are from recent books too - it's too hard to pick ones that go way back!

    My Survey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the movie, I'm going to cry <3

      Delete
  18. Love this post! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I love fairytale, so this was perfect for me :) My survey: http://elinsbookishworld.blogspot.no/2014/03/mels-fairytale-survey.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. THIS IS AMAAAAAZING. I'm going to do it at some point in the near future. Is there a deadline? EEP.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woooowww I love it!=D I will do it but I will translate it to my language, portuguese, can be? I will post the link here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt/2014/03/the-fairytale-survey.html

      Here it is! It was so funny do it! Thank you so much for this brilliant idea *.*

      Delete
    2. Yeay, it's hard to decipher it all, but thanks for filling it out :D

      Delete
  21. I LOVE THIS MEL! I think you did such a good job matching fun questions with a fairy tales. I want to participate too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome, Mel! Such a genius idea- and so creative too! My frog prince would probably be Throne of Glass. I did not expect to fall in love with it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is freaking awesome! I love these kinda surveys. You should definitely try to do more of these. Also loved the Harry Potter one from Flip That Page. :D
    And I love your answers!

    Here's mine:

    http://bookfever11.blogspot.be/2014/03/the-fairytale-survey.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE THIS IDEA, your survey was so cute!!! I loved reading how the questions tied into the fairy tales! I'll have to see if I can fill out your survey too. :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great survey! I'm planning to participate, maybe next week, and I will definitely link back! I love that we can get so many new books to read through this series. I've really been meaning to check out Cruel Beauty especially and this survey is spurring me on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted it today! :) http://bookishwhimsy.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-fairy-tale-survey.html

      Delete
  26. Such i great survey, i had so much fun doing it ♥
    I agree with you about Stolen Songbird, the book is a treasure!


    My Survey

    Thanks for making it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my God! this is SO amazing! I don't know much of these books, but I did love Cruel Beauty and I love Celeana and Chaol.
    Love this post! post more!
    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
  28. I used this survey on my blog! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a FANTASTIC survey. Oh my gosh, Mel, I want to do this as soon as I find time! I love reading all of your answers as well...I just have a problem that I can't decide where to start on commenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Summer, let me know when you've made the survey!

      Delete
  30. Okay, this is it. I am back from the dead and now I just HAVE to do this survey!! :D Thank you so very much for creating your own because GOSH I love Fairytales and Disney! <3 and this sounds so fuuuuuuun (and seeing my name on there gives me the tingles heehee I AM HAPPY).

    ReplyDelete
  31. this is such a great and fun survey. Here are my answers! :)

    The Fairy Tale Survey (Part 1)

    Camille @ Girl meets Books

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nearly a month later, I finally did your survey! I would say I'm a slacker, but this is actually because I had plenty of posts scheduled and this was when I could finally fit it in, so I guess I'm kind of proud that I didn't get this done right away! But back to your survey - this was fun! I can't imagine how difficult it would be to come up with all of these combinations - I don't think I would have the attention span to come up with more than a couple! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never :D I'm happy you participated in the survey!

      Delete
  33. Such a cool survey- I found this through feedmebooksnow.blogspot.com! :D I love your blog by the way, SO gorgeous <3 I wrote up my survey answers yesterday, so here's the shortlinky thing: http://wp.me/p1xcKI-1r8. :D Thanks!
    -Gee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgia, I'm going to take a look now :D

      Delete
  34. Hehehe I remember seeing this a while back and smiling to myself because you would create a fairytale survey :).

    Pinocchio – The boy whose nose grows when he lies.
    Is there are book you lie about, because you feel ashamed for liking it?
    I remember your post on being ashamed and my confused circling thoughts lol. I think there was only one book I ever "lied" about in the sense that in the beginning, I was really frazzled with having a blog and I hadn't read this book by when I said I would and then I skimmed it and wrote a review praising like everything and then the author ended up retweeting the link. Lool. Gosh, I can't believe I ever did that. I needed to relax on the schedule, eh?

    Beauty and the beast – The girl who fell in love with personality.
    Which book do you love that has a hideous cover?
    "I don’t LOVE it, but I didn’t think I would end up enjoying Vampire Academy – Richelle Mead. The Angelina Jolie look-a-like doesn’t work for me." -- ME NEITHER. Her Angelina Jolie-ness is so, so distracting o.O. I also feel like Zoey Deutsch doesn't look much like what I'd picture for Rose either, so I dunno. Lose lose on the face covers again, huh?

    Snow white – Hunted down for her beauty.
    Do you ever buy a book based on the cover alone and if so, what is the last one?
    "I’ve run out of space and I must be careful with money, so I can’t afford buying many books based on covers. The last one is Abby Graham – Wentworth Hall, because it was cheap and I liked the 1900’s vibe." -- SAME. I used to do this WAY too much, but I think the last one I did was a while back. The Water Wars (some faces work!). I saw you posted a review of Wentworth Hall, so at least you *got* to the book that you bought for its cover. I still haven't read Water Wars.

    Sleeping beauty – Cursed to sleep, awakened by true loves kiss.
    What is your favorite book couple?
    "Celaena/Chaol for sure! I loved their chemistry and how they disliked each other in the beginning. For me, they share the true loves kiss." -- D'awww. They are a pretty cute couple. I hope those rumors I heard about the romance for ToG, when it was a fanfiction, aren't true :O. Also... I just realized. Not long till Heir of Fire, huh?!

    Little Mermaid – Gave up on her old life for love.
    Do you ever branch out to new genres or do you like to stick with the ones you know and love? If you try new things out, what is the latest book?
    Did you like This Song Will Save Your Life??? It's good to branch out. I hope it worked out for you!

    Cinderella – Who lost her shoe after midnight.
    What is the last book that made you stay up all night?
    I'm looking at your review soon! Maybe tomorrow since I'm really tired, but eeee. So many people are excited about Stolen Songbird. Strange Chemistry seems to have quite a few titles that get bloggers excited tho it's a small imprint (I think).

    Aladdin – The poor boy who found a genie.
    What is the latest book treasure/gem you found?
    YESSSSSSSSSSS CRUEL BEAUTY. Have you read the novella yet? You should! You won't look at Cinderella the same way again!

    Which book made you really feel like you landed in another world?
    Oooh, someone recommended that series to me and I still haven't read it yet :O. I ought to get on that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Haha, well, at least the author thought it was retweeting worthy :p
      -I pictured Rose in another way too, but I did like the confidence from the actress.
      -SO EXCITED FOR HEIR OF FIRE.
      -I LOVED this song will save your life. Very impressive story.
      -No, but I can't wait to read the novella from Cruel Beauty!

      Delete
  35. East of the sun and west of the moon – where a girl embarks on a journey to save her love.
    Who is one of your favorite kick-ass heroines?
    "I'm going to pick the last kick-ass girl I've encountered and that is Scarlet from A.C Gaughen's - Scarlet. She is feisty girl who knows how to fight with knives and words." -- Hehehe, I remember you really liked her & were eagerly anticipating the Lady Thief :D. At the same time, I thought you were going to put Celaena here. GASP.

    The Frog Prince – where an enchanted prince becomes human again.
    What is a book you thought you would hate, but end up loving?
    The darker contemporaries are my favorites too. The light ones are funny, but I need me some angst, methinks. (Though I didn't like TFioS quite as much as everyone else...)

    Rumpelstilskin – nobody knows his name.
    Which book do you love that doesn’t get enough attention?
    Are you excited about the new Juliet Marillier book??? Dreamer's Pool or something like that? It's got such a beautiful cover!

    ^-- Again I hit the character limit o.o. Sorryyyy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, look at you go :p

      -I was considering Celaena, but I went with the last kick-ass girl and I just re-read Scarlet.
      -YEEES, I can't get enough of her work, so keep them coming Marillier :D

      Delete
  36. Hope I'm not too late to take part! Here are my answers for Part 1: http://bringuivera.wordpress.com/2014/05/11/fairy-tale-survey-part-1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not! I'm going to check it out :)

      Delete
    2. And...Part 2: http://bringuivera.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/fairy-tale-survey-part-2/

      Delete
  37. Absolutely loved this survey and have just taken part! Here is my Part 1 post... titlesandteacups.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/the-fairytale-survery-part-1.html

    Eleanor :)
    @ titlesandteacups.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love this survey! Here are my answers: http://www.awesomebookassessment.com/2014/07/bookish-survey-fairytale-survey.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for creating such a lovely survey! I had fun doing it! Here's my survey results :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0