Monday, January 20, 2014 14:49

Review 229. Adam Gidwitz - The Grimm conclusion.

Title: The Grimm conclusion.
Author: Adam Gidwitz.
Pages: 368.
Expected publication: October 8th 2013 by Dutton Juvenile.
Sort: Part three of ‘A tale dark and Grimm.'
Source: Edelweiss & Publisher.
Widely praised and beloved by children, adults, and critics alike, Adam Gidwitz delivers a third serving of eerie new landscapes and fear-inducing creatures in a story sure to delight and frighten fans old and new. In the final book in the series, Adam's brilliantly irreverent narrator leads readers through a fresh world of Grimm-inspired fairy tales, based on such classics as The Juniper Tree, the real story of Cinderella, and Rumpelstiltskin.
Rating:  

This series went downhill for me. I truly enjoyed the first book, the second was less interesting and this came close to being a train-wreck. This story lost the charm of the previous books. There was something off about the characters and the storyline.

The story is in big lines about the Juniper Tree, Cinderella and Little Brother & Little Sister. I still need to give him credits for the fact that he uses lesser known fairytales and manages to create a solid story with it. They are all combined in a fun mixture and the humorous tone is still there. It was an easy book to read and that saved The Grimm Conclusion from a 'DNF' rating.

The biggest problem were the unsympathetic characters. I didn't connected with them and couldn't care less about their fate. It's been a while since I've read this book and I don't even remember them. For me, that's a bad sign, because I'm pretty good at memorizing books. They just aren't memorable. There is also a strange twist where we end up in the modern world and this completely ruined the fairytale feeling for me. It felt like I was pulled out of the story and after that, I couldn't enjoy it anymore. It was hard to return and it didn't blend in.

I don't think I would recommend this series. It's perfectly okay to read the first book, because they are pretty much stand-alones, but this wasn't good.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

19 comments:

  1. Aw. I'm sorry that you didn't like this book Mel. I adore the cover, though. But from your review, I don't think I would enjoy this book either :) Though I do think I should check out the first one. Hmm. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard about this book but it's a pity that this didn't live up to its prequel. Well, at least you were still able to identify some redeeming qualities from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I didn't hate the entire book and that's always better :)

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of this. I haven't heard of this series before but combining some not so well-known fairy tales makes me wanna read it. I'm so sorry it went downhill for you. Too bad, cause it promises a lot. Great review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The use of those fairytales is still very creative!

      Delete
  4. Too bad! I hate it when a series starts off amazing, then takes a turn for the worst. Glad you were still able to finish this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw that's too bad. I haven't heard much about this series but that's probably because I'm not too into retellings. Great review.

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, when I saw your name I thought you would be, haha. I associate faeries always with retellings :D

      Delete
  6. Sorry this wasn't a hit for you. I hate when you can't connect to the characters. It's the biggest turn-off. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An unmemorable book is certainly not worth my time! I want books that stick with me for at least a long while.

    Fab review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry you didn't enjoy this more :/ Bad characters make it almost impossible for me to enjoy a book. I am sad the re-telling was ruined by an annoying twist though. Some twists work and some don't.

    Great Review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed and it's always a shame when it doesn't work..

      Delete
  9. So annoying when the book is barely memorable, makes it hard to write a review lol. Sounds super frustrating!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of the Juniper Tree fairy tale. I tried to read the complete grimm fairy tales once, but then I got distracted by a different book because it was so long lol. This series seems interesting. It's a bummer that it went downhill and the last book was such a disappointment :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, but I'm planning to find the original tale and see how it goes :)

      Delete
  11. I kept thinking I wanted to try this series too bad it was such a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Train wreck...ok going no further because I still have yet to read the first and I really really want to sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been looking forward to finishing this series after enjoying the first book, but I'm not nearly as excited after that review. I'll probably read it just out of curiosity, but I won't set my hopes too high. Sorry you had to endure a train wreck ):

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0