Review 228. Megan Shepherd - Her dark curiosity.

16182304Title: Her dark curiosity.
Author: Megan Shepherd.
Pages: 368.
Expected publication: January 28th 2014 by Balzer+Bray
Sort: Part two of ‘The madman’s daughter.’
Part 1: The madman’s daughter.
Source: I received an ARC from the publisher .

To defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it.
Months have passed since Juliet Moreau returned to civilization after escaping her father's island—and the secrets she left behind. Now, back in London once more, she is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget Dr. Moreau’s horrific legacy—though someone, or something, hasn’t forgotten her. As people close to Juliet fall victim one by one to a murderer who leaves a macabre calling card of three clawlike slashes, Juliet fears one of her father’s creations may have also escaped the island. She is determined to find the killer before Scotland Yard does, though it means awakening sides of herself she had thought long banished, and facing loves from her past she never expected to see again. As Juliet strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness, she finds herself once more in the midst of a world of scandal and danger. Her heart torn in two, past bubbling to the surface, life threatened by an obsessive killer—Juliet will be lucky to escape alive.

Rating
I wish I could say ‘I’m not sure where it all went wrong,’ because I know. This book suffers from the most horrible love-triangle I’ve seen last year and it contains irritating, annoying characters. Juliet is probably one of the worst characters of 2013. The good writing-style and overall interesting and unique storyline go to waste - and that is a true shame.

I always like to look positive at books. I don’t enjoy writing negative reviews, but it has to be done. There are mild spoilers for this book, but I seriously recommend reading them to see for yourself if you want to suffer through this book.

I quite liked The madman’s daughter. The vivisections were fascinating to me and I loved that Shepherd explored that side of science. That is also the case in this book. Juliet returned to London and is living with a professor. She is trying to find a new cure, since her old treatment isn’t working. When there are strange deaths on the island, Juliet finds out that Edward survived and he is back to find her. His beast side is starting to take over and naive as Juliet is, she believes they can find a cure for him too. So far, I was interested in the story. I liked where everything was going and Shepherd has a good writing-style.

The first thing that should have warned me was the moment Edward and Juliet meet. This meeting brings us to a scene I still can’t believe happened. Edward’s beast side just killed someone and Juliet finds him in her secret room covered in blood. Any normal girl would get the hell away, right? But NO, wait, there is something very “dangerous” about him, so let’s have sex with him! Juliet has been complaining and whining over her long lost lover Montgomery and she is lonely. Surely Edward is the best way to forget about him. Don’t mind the fact that HE FREAKING KILLED SOMEONE and that there is a beast lurking inside him.

”And there was Edward, who knew my secrets and didn’t judge me for them, desperate to fill that void in my life.”
tumblr_mw4s96Ou2G1qcx4xyo2_250

Seriously? Of course, a few days later Montgomery pops up! He’s following Edward and wants to kill him. Juliet is confused about her feelings, but something bigger is going on. A society is looking for Edward too and they want to use him for their experiments. This part of the story was great. I loved the tension and the mystery - who are involved and what are they doing?

It’s a shame that this mystery is completely overshadowed by these face-palming characters. Juliet is a spineless, whiny, awful creature. The only thing she can do is complain about her life, making herself feel miserable and unhappy without a real reason. She is ungrateful and a horrible friend for Lucy. I was secretly hoping that the beast would come out to slash her throat, but that obviously didn’t happen. Another thing that annoyed me was her fickleness. First she is objecting about killing Edward, because ‘it’s not right.’ Two pages later she is planning to slaughter a group of men.

The other characters aren’t really memorable. I liked Eward/Beast, because he added some tension to the story. God knows why he loves Juliet so much. Montgomery is just.. Montgomery. Nothing too special. So, summarized:
anigif_enhanced-buzz-28027-1386088143-23

And the worst thing of it all? I still want to read the next book to see how it's all going to end *sigh*

47 comments

  1. Urgh, I've heard nothing but terrible reviews for this book and I'm really not looking forward to reading it. I need to though because I've got a copy for review, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it anymore.
    And that slight spoiler just made go wow. I can't believe Juliet would just completely ignore something like that and not run away like any normal human being would! I hate it when you want to keep reading a series even if you aren't enjoying it just to see how it ends.
    Thanks for the very honest review, Mel! It's definitely made me knock down my expectations for this book quite a few notches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always possible you end up liking it though!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow.. That is some GREAT logic right there. Go have sex with someone who killed someone and was covered in blood.. I really liked the vivisection in the first book but I don't think I can stomach this book from what you described. I don't have any interest in Montgomery or Edward.

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Sometimes I am like that with series I don't like. I still have to know how they end, but I end up reading spoiler filled reviews to see how that happens lol This was an awesome review, but oh how I hate love triangles. I've been curious about this series, but now I am so skeptical in starting it. Awesome review and thanks for the honest opinion Mel!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the last book is a little more like the first one, but I don't have much hope with that horrible love-triangle.

      Delete
  4. I actually wasn't the biggest fan of the first one because of the love triangle and the ending but I was looking forward to the 2nd one. All the reviews I've read have made me think that I don't need to waste my time with this one...I don't think that I'll like it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you didn't like the love-triangle in the first one, you're going to hate it here.

      Delete
  5. Great to see an honest review. Saves my time for the good ones ;)

    Rinny & Kimmy
    opinionatedcupcakes@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew, is it bad that I'm relieved you didn't like this? I really, really didn't like it, and I'm so glad to see I'm not the black sheep. I, like you, liked The Madman's Daughter, but this was just so awful. I have a special kind of hate for the love triangle in this series. It ruined ALL of the potential this series has. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to find someone else with the same thoughts, so I'm relieved to hear you disliked it too!

      Delete
  7. I haven't even read the first book, but Juliette does seem like a character I won't be liking either... Also, that love triangle seems annoying as well.. Sucks that you weren't able to enjoy it! Thanks for your honest review!
    - Farah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like reading books with bad reviews... I enjoyed the first book but didn't like the love triangle too :D Thanks for the honest review.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha I totally agree about the romance- it was absolutely terrible. I've got to say, one of the worst love triangles I've ever read about. I still enjoyed the book overall though, because I enjoyed the other aspects of the plot, but I think I'm one of the only ones who did- most people have really hated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely in my top 3 most horrible love-triangles..

      Delete
  10. I haven't read The Madman's Daughter yet, mainly because I don't usually like books that have creepy themes. The love triangle and characters in this one sound pretty disappointing. I don't think I'll be reading this anytime soon. Thanks for the great, honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, I don't recommend this series to you :) It's not very creepy, but dark.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, I've heard good things about The Madman's Daughter for its gothic romance but your review kind of still has me intrigued, even though the characters sound frustrating. Funny how even though we were frustrated by the book we still want to see how it ends. Lovely review Mel!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well. I'm happy I could make someone intrigued, haha.

      Delete
  12. Oh god. This book. FAILED EPICALLY. Alas, Juliet and her romance, BLEH. Definitely not bothering with book 3

    Great review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book such a shame that you didn't. I really liked Edward and not because of the romance. He was so complicated because of his situation. I'm glad you're not giving up. I'm really intrigued with the ending. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book is much more enjoyable if you like any of the characters!

      Delete
  14. Shame you didn't enjoy the book :( It looked so promising.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a bummer, I enjoyed the first one. This is not the first negative review of Her Dark Curiosity that I have read :( I am not a fan of love triangles to begin with, so one that is terrible has me almost running away from the book. It is a shame the story went that way. Great review :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  16. D'awww well it's such a shame that this book seems to elicit this sort of reaction! :( I mean, never really liked the first book to begin with, but after reading the synopsis to this one, I hoped against hope that it would be better. Well, we can never really tell unless I try it, but once I do, I hope by some miracle it isn't worth just a single star XD And great review Mel, thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hope that it will work better for you! But if you didn't like the first book, it might even finish as a DNF for you :p

      Delete
  17. LOL I love your gifs! The bad characters and horrible love triangle romance will definitely keep me very far away from this book! I can't believe she wanted to be with him after he just killed someone and was covered in blood :P Thanks for the review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I don't think I'd even want to be with my boyfriend in such a situation, let alone a boy you don't know what well..

      Delete
  18. Oh man. I've seen negative things on Twitter, but WOW, this sounds...*shudders* A love triangle sounds bad, but a love triangle involving annoying characters? WAY WORSE. Then that situation with blood and sex and bad judgement? Ugh. JUST NO. I absolutely love your gifs, Mel! And I get the frustration of wanting to know how it all turns out. I feel like I'm in that horrible cycle with Kiera Cass's The Selection series *bangs head on a wall*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, when I found them I thought they would be perfect for the review :)

      Delete
  19. Ugh! that love scene bother me SO MUCH. I'm so happy it got to you too. The entire time I was like WTF? How can you sleep with a man that just murdered people! Bleh. I couldn't believe the cursed love triangle with the same people came back. It's the zombie love triangle that won't die.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ouchouch. >< Mel, you're always such a nice reviewer! I think this has got to be the first time I commented on a one-flower review of yours! >< But it's totally fine! I've been seeing the same remarks going around about this one, especially about that odd romance. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one, Mel! I hope something better comes your way soon.. ;)
    Fantastic review, all the same, Mel!! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it really bothers me when I need to write these and most of the times I lucky I end up loving books, but this was just.. Ugh :(

      Delete
  21. Oh, that's SUCH a shame! I really enjoyed The Madman's Daughter, and I had high hopes for this one, but yours is the second poor review for it that I've seen today. I hate when an author deviates from a winning formula and settles for the norm. Thanks for your honest review though, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have yet to read the first book but this makes me really tentative!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the best review. <3 THANK YOU for being so honest. I already knew how awful this book was; after peeking at almost all of it. But my god. It makes me happy when other hates it too, lol (A) I'm not going to read it, though. Which is a shame, as I was lucky enough to get an ARC from publisher :\ But I can't. I WON'T suffer from this book. Suffering enough just knowing what I know about it. Sigh. But oh. I just don't understand how it could be so AWFUL when book one was pretty amazing. Unfair. But anyway. I so agree with everything you said. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I think it's always important to stay honest. I don't recommend to read it either.

      Delete
  24. Aw. I actually contemplated on getting this book and its prequel but I am so thankful that I have stopped myself. I don't think I could also stomach my heroine thinking about sex with a man who just killed someone. Heroine girls these days really have an alarming taste for romance, wouldn't you agree?

    And I love your last statement. I think that's wise and very brave of you. You already have invested a lot of your time in this series so it's just logical to see it end even if you despise this book so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the first book a lot, but this was a mess.. And yes, what is wrong with them?.. And that is it. If you've read the first two books, you just have to read the last one too..

      Delete
  25. Ehhh, whut?? Why on earth would she want to have sex with that guy? Good grief, that sounds totally ridiculous. I missed out on reading the first book, but I can't say I have any interest if this is how the sequel is. On the plus side, this review was very entertaining!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I entertained you more than the book entertained me, haha.

      Delete
  26. UGH. One of my friends accidentally spoiled that Juliet had sex with Edward and my first thought was WASN'T HE SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD. And then, EW SERIOUSLY? I will definitely take off three stars alone just for those two reasons when I get to reading HDC. ):
    I'm sad you didn't enjoy this one Mel, but yeah, with a scene + love triangle like this, it's almost impossible to really love this one. :l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I thought it was quite obvious from the blurb that he was still alive? :p

      Delete
  27. Ugh this sounds like the worst! That scene you just described between Juliet and Edward makes me want to vom. Gosh I am just so sorry you had to go through this hah. I picked up the ARC of this for Ashley at ALA. We'll see what she thinks about it but I wasn't running to pick this sequel up and I have no intention to now. Unless the third book is magical or it comes out on audiobook and I have nothing else to listen to. But I am not sure I want to put myself through the pain of dealing with horrible characters.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.