Review 225. Brodi Ashton - Evertrue.

13626692Title: Evertrue.
Author: Brodi Ashton.
Expected publication: January 21st 2014 by Balzer + Bray
Sort: Conclusion of ‘Everneath.’
Part one: Everneath.
Part two: Everbound.
Source: I received an ARC from the publisher.
Now that Nikki has rescued Jack, all she wants is to be with him and graduate high school. But Cole tricked Nikki into feeding off him, and she’s begun the process of turning into an Everliving herself... which means she must feed on a Forfeit soon — or die. Terrified for her survival, Nikki and Jack begin a desperate attempt to reverse the process using any means possible. Even Cole, who they expected to fight them at every turn, has become an unlikely ally — but how long can it last? Nikki needs to feed on Cole to survive, Cole needs Nikki to gain the throne in the Everneath, Jack needs Nikki because she is everything to him — and together, they must travel back to the Underworld to undo Nikki’s fate and make her mortal once more. But Cole isn’t the only one with plans for Nikki: the Queen has not forgotten Nikki’s treachery, and she wants her destroyed for good. Will Nikki be forced to spend eternity in the Underworld, or does she have what it takes to bring down the Everneath once and for all?
Rating:

I’m still blown away by this book. I must admit that the middle part started to drag a little, but what an ending! I loved the action when they are in Everneath and I appreciate the fact that Ashton went to certain places with her story. It’s great when an author surprises you, despite the fact that it is bittersweet and heartbreaking. I couldn’t have asked for a better ending.

But I would be lying if I say that this didn't happen:

“This heart is yours. It belongs to you. It beats only for you. And somewhere out there is a heart without a home and it beats for me; and we’re not giving up until we find it.” Page 126 from ARC.

This is a series I would recommend to other people without hesitation. It has everything you can wish for. Gorgeous covers, well-written story, great characters and a perfect ending. I’m so happy that Ashton managed to deliver with this story. I was desperate for a story with an ending that lives up to my expectations.

Be aware that there are spoilers for the other books. You can read the review if you have read the previous books, because there are no spoilers for Evertrue.

This story continues right where Everbound ended. Ashton subtle reminds us what happened in the previous book, so a re-read isn’t necessarily. Cole tricked Nikki and she is desperately trying to come up with a plan to destroy the Everneath. Jack will do anything to keep her alive and is always by her side. I love how this book showed their individual personalities more. I always liked Jack, but I appreciated him even more, because he finally claims his role. Their chemistry is great, but sometimes it was a bit too much for me. This is completely personal, since I’m not such a fan of a strong romantic focus.

“But I will destroy the Everneath before I feed on another human being. And I will destroy anything, or anyone, that stand in my way.” Page 1 from ARC.

I’ve been a fan of Nikki from the beginning. She is strong and I admire her spirit. I don’t think I could sacrifice myself like she would. It’s great how determined she is and how she keeps distrusting Cole. Talking about him, what a brilliant move from Ashton. She used a surprising twist on him! We also get the chance to understand him and his motives even more.

Like I said earlier, the middle part started to drag a little. Jack and Nikki are trying to figure out a way to destroy Everneath and in the mean time, they try to figure out Cole. Just when I needed more, Ashton kicked up the pace and the action. The time they spend in Everneath was exciting and filled with tension. I loved it! The ending was a rollercoaster of feelings, but it could not have been more perfect. Credits for Ashton and I look forward to more of her books. She deserves her spot on my ‘favorite author’ list.

”Give me your heart,” I said.
He tilted his head, leaned forward, watching my eyes the entire time to make sure it was okay, and kissed me lightly on the lips. "You already have it.”
Page 349 from ARC.




33 comments

  1. I think you know I'm not the biggest fan of this series haha but I'm glad you liked it :) I do have to agree on Nikki and Jack, sometimes they're just a bit too much and a little overwhelming. Great review Mel :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but I think this series really depends on personal taste. I'm sorry you don't enjoy it so much as I do!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read Everbound *cries* but you make it sound like a fantastic ending. I'll try to read it (and soon!). Great review, Mel. (And your very first review for 2014. *winks*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I want to read.... THE END OF THIS. Haha, I'm really curious of how it ends, but not sure I'm interested enough to the read the whole thing...
    Great review! Love the quotes you used :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is a dilemma. If you like mythology and a strong MC, than you are good :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited to read Evertrue! The first two books were amazing, and the ending of the series sounds just as good as the previous books. That last quote is so sweet, too. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh* I really liked the first book and have been planning on reading the second for some time. This one I didn't get the arc for, so I have to wait for it to come out. Great review! Now I'm really dying to read it!!! :)

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am *so* happy to see your reaction...I have a copy coming any day now, and I can't wait to see how it all ends. The whole series has been bittersweet and heartbreaking, so I think it makes sense that you felt the ending was the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely fits the atmosphere of the previous books.

      Delete
  7. I still have to read this series. Its one of many on my Tbr list for 2014. Glad you liked it Mel! Fantastic review as always <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so looking forward to reading this book...envious you have already read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got the arc too but I think I'll read it after I have finished Everbound (I had been lazy lately)..btw which cover do u like the most? For me it's the first book..p-r-e-t-t-y ^.^

    Munira @ In Vogue with Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I think I like the cover from Everbound the most :D

      Delete
    2. I like that as well, but I think I like the first one more because I love that shade of red;I mean, I like black too, but the red seems more 'red'..if that makes any sense at all:p

      Munira@ In Vogue with Books

      Delete
  10. I haven't started this series yet but I loooove Greek mythology so hopefully I will like the first book! Can't read your full review though cause you said there'd be spoiler :( But I'm glad that the ending didn't disappoint you, Mel! There are quite a lot of series follow up coming out this year I HAVE to catch up haha. And happy new year, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, awesome review :D Glad you enjoyed this book so much! I have yet to read any of the books.. but getting the third one soon, so hoping to read all three soon :) Thank you for sharing the review and the quotes as well :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I really need to get to reading the sequel. I really enjoyed Everneath and finally got the chance to read it mid last year. Great review, it makes me want to pick up Everbound immediately :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy that it has a great ending! i only own the first book, but I'm so happy to know that it is well written with great characters!! the covers ARE gorgeous too!! Fantastic review, Mel!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this series,but I really want to.I have a huge soft spot for Greek Mythology retellings,especially stories based on the Hades-Persephone myth.So I am sure I'll love this series.
    Great review Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, I highly recommend this series!

      Delete
  15. Those quotes! I need to know know who was talking in the last one. :P I'm so glad to see you enjoyed this overall! I really liked the previous two books and can't wait to see how it all wraps up. I'm glad a re-read isn't necessary though, as I don't think I'll have time for one this month. I'm definitely looking forward to this now. Amazing review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I knew I would make at least one person curious with that last quote!

      Delete
  16. Oh my God! You're so lucky to read this early!!! I can't wait to read this book!
    Everneath and Everbound are on my "favorite" list. That last quote is driving me crazy! You're evil! but I hope is Jack <3
    I'm so, so glad you loved it!!
    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for dropping by my review today -- glad we both loved this one :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  18. My feelings very much mirror your own. I grew to love this series so much and was very happy with the ending but I had a lot of feels as well. Nikki is just great and I love her with Jack. Did you like the whole amnesia thing with Cole? I am on the fence and say so in my review coming soon. But overall, I think this book/series was so great and filled with so many surprised! Great review Mel!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm about to start this one, and I'm so thrilled to hear you loved it! I was totally shocked by Everbound, and I liked it more than Everneath, and it sounds like book three keeps the momentum going strong. Great review!
    Top Site for Alaskan halibut Capt Jacks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.