Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:36

Review 219. Samantha Shannon – The bone season.

13636400Title: The bone season.
Author: Samantha Shannon.
Pages: 452.
Published: August 20th 2013 by Bloomsbury Publishing
Sort: Part one of ‘The bone season’
It is the year 2059. Several major world cities are under the control of a security force called Scion. Paige Mahoney works in the criminal underworld of Scion London, part of a secret cell known as the Seven Seals. The work she does is unusual: scouting for information by breaking into others’ minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a rare kind of clairvoyant, and in this world, the voyants commit treason simply by breathing. But when Paige is captured and arrested, she encounters a power more sinister even than Scion. The voyant prison is a separate city—Oxford, erased from the map two centuries ago and now controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. These creatures, the Rephaim, value the voyants highly—as soldiers in their army. Paige is assigned to a Rephaite keeper, Warden, who will be in charge of her care and training. He is her master. Her natural enemy. But if she wants to regain her freedom, Paige will have to learn something of his mind and his own mysterious motives.
Rating:

I’m going to be honest and say that I had some difficulty understanding this complex and rich world-building. I still have the idea I didn’t get half of it and this made it hard to connect with the story in the beginning. I felt overwhelmed by all the terms and information, but luckily, the characters made up for it.

Because of the complexity, I’m not going to summarize much of this book. It all starts with Paige and her secret job at Scion London for Jaxon, the mime-lord of I-4. He has his gang of voyants and Paige is one of a kind: a dreamwalker. She is able to break into someone’s mind by walking in their dreamscape - and she can kill or possess someone if she gets powerful enough. When her gift is discovered, she is taken away to Sheol I and placed under the eye of Warden, the blood-consort. The ruler of Sheol I is after Paige’s gift and she is soon fighting for her life.
There are many different types of voyants and it’s explained, but I couldn’t wrap my mind around everything. Add new terms that are thrown into the mix and it can be confusing. This book almost crossed a line for me where there was too much information. It was interesting and different from anything I’ve seen so far, but I hope that the next book is less overwhelming. I'm interesting to see how Samantha is going to write 7 books! 
One thing I liked were the fleshed out characters. Paige is 19 years and that made it easy to connect with her age-wise. She is strong and I liked her spirit. She isn’t one to whine and she is very protective. I loved her power and how she starts to grow into it. Her bonding with Warden was fun to watch. She is very suspicious of him, but he is also fascinating to her. Their blooming friendship and romance was adorable and I like how the romance completed the story.

The ending is conclusive, but also leaves a gap that makes me excited for more. If you are looking for a YA that almost feels like an adult book, with a good romance, interesting world-building and action, this is a book for you. If you want a better review, I suggest you take a look at this one from Sam @ Realm of fiction: 4 star review of The bone season.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

43 comments:

  1. I think this is a perfect gap between YA and adult, both types of readers will enjoy it. I really enjoyed the deep world building here, think the second book would be less intense on that though. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a perfect description of this book!

      Delete
  2. I love this book, but I also had difficulty understanding everything. Hopefully I understand it better in the next book, can not wait to read the next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this one around and actually thought it was an adult book! This sounds a little too confusing for me, but an interesting concept! Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could be published as adult book too :)

      Delete
  4. A character that does not whine! Those are the best lol And I completely understand about not being able to connect with the story in a way because of new world and not understanding some things. Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Mel. <3 Sorry you didn't love it, but glad you mostly enjoyed it, still :) I had to quit it at 150 pages, as I did not like it at all :\ Sigh. But hopefully trying it again soon :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely needed some time to get into it.

      Delete
  6. I've heard this one was a bit hard to get into but sounds like it might be worth giving it a shot sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have the ARC I got in April, but I haven't read it, yet. I'm hearing good things, though, and I like reading about complicated worlds. Maybe I'll take this on Christmas vacation.

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great book when you have enough time, because it's not something I'd recommend if you are busy :)

      Delete
  8. I've heard a lot of positive things about this one but I've also heard that it is quite complex...I feel like I'll need to be in just the right mood to get into this one...I can get easily frustrated when I don't understand things >.< Anyways I do love how you mentioned that the characters made up for it though!! Thanks for the lovely & insightful review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think this book needs a certain mood!

      Delete
  9. I've seen this one around but I still haven't made up my mind about reading it, a lot of other reviewers mentioned how there were way too many details and I worry that that might bore me.
    Great review Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can easily get boring yes, but overall, I think it works :)

      Delete
  10. I've heard great things about this one so I'm glad you loved it as well! Dang, 7 books. I would worry that she would start stretching the story thin (but at least not in this one). Hopefully the characters will be fleshed out more by then as well! Great review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book, but I know I'll have to re-read it before reading the sequel. There was simply WAY too much world-building/terminology to remember. I'm also not entirely sure how the story will manage to play out over seven books, but this first one was fantastic and I'm looking forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this is just a book that asks for a re-read, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to do it..

      Delete
  12. I saw this book in a local bookstore,but I didn't buy it since it was huge!I mean,just how many pages are there?I am kinda getting tired of dystopia,which is really shocking,but I think I need more of other genres before coming back to this one.
    Anyway this one sounds as if it has a lot going on.Maybe I should try it out after some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does provide something new to the Dystopian genre :)

      Delete
  13. I've seen this one everywhere but have never been interested in it until now. It seemed like an adult book to me so I'm surprised to hear it's young adult. I'm intrigued by this complex world!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is that book that is being compared to Harry Potter! I am not interested in it at the moment, but the overwhelming worldbuilding is not one I look forward to. Take Harry Potter (haha), which is rich in worldbuilding, but never really felt like too much to me. I think some authors need to master the technique to beckon their readers into whatever worlds they create. It's a graceful process. If this is a part of a series, it is a shame that this introduction did not thorougly err introduce. I just rambled. Hope you get what I mean, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this is the one! No idea why, because they have nothing in common.. She could use a little more J.K Rowling-ness :)

      Delete
  15. I actually didn't enjoy this one as much as you but I still liked it! I agree with what you said about the amount of information that was present in the book, it was a little confusing at times! The only thing I didn't really understand was the relationship between the Warden and Paige, it seems like it just happened out of nowhere but I still really enjoyed this one. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does happen in no time, but I didn't found it very annoying!

      Delete
  16. I am wary of this one because your not the first person to say they've had trouble with understanding everything but I think I will still enjoy it, like you did in the end. Maybe more so than I thought before reading your review! I need to bump this up the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think once you get to read it Nicole :)

      Delete
  17. Ha ha, you read my mind Mel! I was thinking about reading this book all week. ;D
    I've read the first 5 pages of The Bone Season before it was released and had to put it down because of all the worldbuilding terms. My brain was not in the mood to study new vocabulary. I'm sad that you couldn't wrap your mind around everything, that would probably be like me too. I had enough hard time reading Crewel and The Raven Boys, which were easy books for some people. >___<
    The main character Paige sounds awesome! :D
    And she's my age too, so I'll probably be doing a lot of admiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take some effort to understand everything!

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you liked it even though it was confusing! I too had trouble grasping the world at times, but enjoyed it as well (I think I gave it the same rating) because the world was so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've decided I won't likely read this one anytime soon. I have too many blogger buddies now that just weren't enthused about it. Heck I don't think I know anyone that 5 starred it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book has been om my TBR since ages ago. And I must admit that I bought it because of the fact that Sam Shannon has been referred to as the next JK Rowling. I know, I'm bad. Hahahah.

    I am not so sure why I haven't started reading this yet but I think it may have to do with the the mixed reviews I've encountered. It didn't help that bloggers were complaining about the terms and the world building. And I am really impatient when it comes to learning new terms. Le sigh. If I remember it right, you have to always consult the dictionary of this book just so you can understand the new terms being introduced, am I right? Argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, it is tempting to pick a book that refers to the Queen :D The dictionary definitely comes in handy!

      Delete
  21. Wow, this does sound confusing! I was getting confused just reading your summary! It sounds like there's a lot to wrap your head around.
    I had this one on order at my library, but I've cancelled the reservation now since it seems like one of those books I'll need a bit longer to read so I'll get my own copy at some point. It still sounds like a really good book, but I don't think I'll be reading it any time soon.
    Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. "I’m going to be honest and say that I had some difficulty understanding this complex and rich world-building. I still have the idea I didn’t get half of it and this made it hard to connect with the story in the beginning. I felt overwhelmed by all the terms and information, but luckily, the characters made up for it." --- Oh gosh, months later I still don't know how to explain all the details, but I don't know, in a way that's what made me love the book so much. I love love love worlds you can just get lost in, and yeah, there was so much information and we could've gotten it better, but *sighs happily*. I want to see this one on the big screen. I hope they end up adapting it. It's interesting you say that the characters kept you interested because i actually thought, aside from Paige, they weren't too developed and Shannon kept them & their motivations so mysterious as to make it hard to identify with them.

    "It was interesting and different from anything I’ve seen so far, but I hope that the next book is less overwhelming." -- Ha, I have a feeling it might be less overwhelming in the way that we'll start getting used to some of these terms but now that Shannon has already given us this backstory, I don't think she's going to explain it again, so it might still be overwhelming. A different type of overwhelming but o.o.

    "The ending is conclusive, but also leaves a gap that makes me excited for more. If you are looking for a YA that almost feels like an adult book, with a good romance, interesting world-building and action, this is a book for you." Hahaha I love how you said YA that almost feels like an adult book vs. the other way around. It is supposed to be adult, I think, but I feels very very much like a YA novel, and I heard they were even marketing it as New Adult. Alsoooo I don't think I'd agree with you about the ending being conclusive. The book maybe so, since the plot concluded, but the cliffhanger first-chapter-is-going-to-be-a-battle sort of thing? :P Hm. I really hope Shannon can do the 'book a year' sort of thing. 7 books is a lot to keep up with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, interesting how we both liked different things from this book. Yes, but I hope that it's a little different overwhelming :)

      I was a little confused about the genre, because Goodreads both say it's a YA and an Adult, haha. I see what you mean, but I sort of liked how this book COULD stand alone in the worst case :p

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0