Sunday, November 24, 2013 20:10

Review 217. Suzanne Weyn – The diamond secret.

5928862Title: The diamond secret.
Author: Suzanne Weyn.
Pages: 240.
Published: June 2nd 2009 by Simon Pulse.
Sort: Part of the ‘Once upon a time’ series.
Nadya is a mischievous kitchen girl in a Russian tavern. Having nearly drowned in the Iset River during the turmoil of the Revolution, she has no memory of her past and longs for the life she cannot remember. Then two young men arrive at the tavern and announce that Nadya's long-lost grandmother has sent them to find her. Yearning for family and friendship, she agrees to accompany them to Paris for the joyful reunion. Nadya eagerly embarks on her journey, never dreaming it will be one of laughter, love...and betrayal.

Rating:

Most of the things I know about Anastasia comes from the lovely movie (which is not made by Disney, but by Fox animation studios. I hear that mistake often) and this book is pretty similar, but misses the magic. Where I absolutely love the movie even if it's not 100% accurate, this book had too many flaws to really enjoy.

First of, I couldn't connect with the characters. The two guys (already forgot their names, I'm sorry) are looking for a replacement of Anastasia because her grandmother offers a huge amount of money. There are rumours that she survived the murder on the Royal Family. One of the guys worked in the palace at that time and he saw how Anastasia was killed in front of his eyes. He is very sceptical about the rumours, but they come across a tavern girl called Nadya. Her looks are remarkable and her amnesia about most of her past is very convenient. The only thing she knows is that she was taken from a mental institution. On their way, they change her appearance and help her adapt to her possible new future. Nadya doesn't know that the two guys are in for the money and she falls in love with one (bet you didn't see that coming?)

I just didn't feel it. Everyone is so distant and I didn't really care for Nadya. She is naive and she believes the guys without thinking about it. The reunion with her possible grandmother didn't touch me and meh. Didn't work for me.

The second thing is the fact that everything comes together SO easily. They HAPPEN to stumble across her. And no, like I said, the movie has something magical and here it's just bland. BUT, with this book, I finished the complete Once upon a time series which consists of 19 books! You can find all my reviews over here: Once upon a time series label.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know Anastasia wasn't made by Disney! A shame to hear this one didn't work out, I hate it when everything is so easily resolved that it's lame lol.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people seem to think that it's from Disney! It could have been one of their movies, so I can see why :)

      Delete
  2. One of the things I am most pedantic about is that Anastasia is not Disney and therefore she is not a Disney princess. Do I still love this movie? Is Dimitri one of the hottest animated guys? Do I quote it more than is seemly? Emphatically yes to all three but it's not Disney! Thank you for mentioning that :)

    Since you gave this book a 2, I'm not much interested in checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Anastasia movie wasn't made by Disney? O.o Wow! I don't know why I've always thought that it was. Anyway, I haven't actually come across this book before, and I doubt I'll be picking it up anytime in the future either. It's a shame that there wasn't anything really that impressive about it. Thanks for the helpful review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand why people think so, it certainly has the same style as Disney!

      Delete
  4. I can't remember what the movie was about, to be honest. I watched it a long time ago. I remember Meg Ryan was in it, though. And I can see why anyone would mistake it for a Disney production. :) Anyway, sorry this was a disappointment. I don't like reading cold fish for characters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaa, I love the beginning of your second paragraph - Already forgot the names of the guys! LMAO
    I don't think I'll be reading this even though I do have an affinity for history/Anastasia's family.
    Oh, and I can't even remember whether I've seen the movie Anastasia O___O I've definitely read books about her, but movie? No idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad about it, since I'm most of the times pretty good with details from books! Shows how uninteresting it was..

      Delete
  6. I didn't know Anastasia wasn't Disney! Wow, something new to learn everyday. It's sad when a book just doesn't do it for you. When I don't connect to any of the characters, it's just a pain to go through the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that movie, it's adorable and one of my favorites! I even own a book with the same animations. It's awesome that this story inspired the one your reviewed because it's not often that we get a retelling of that particular story. It botheres me so much that the girl's nickname is Nadya. I'm not a Russian expert, but we did learn it in middle school and HS so I know a little and usually Anastassia shorts to.. Stassi, Nastja/Nastia/Nastya etc, not Nadya. I may be completely wrong though, but it just bothers me for some reason. Anyhow.. a gullible girl and characters you didn't care about? Nah-ah. Not really interested. I'll see the movie (again) instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is GREAT! And it's a shame that this book wasn't good, because like you said, it's not often retold.

      Delete
  8. Haha, I always get a little annoyed when people refer to the movie Anastasia as a Disney movie. I do love that movie, though, and while I was reading the book description I kept thinking - wow this sounds like the movie. I think I'll pass on this one. Also, yay for finishing this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, sad face. I'm so so sorry that you didn't like it. But so happy that you shared your honest thoughts :D Yeah, never reading this one. Not for me :\ Sigh. Really hoping the next book you read will be lots better :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anastasia is one of my favorite childhood movies <33. So sad to hear that you just couldn't connect with the characters or the plot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0