Saturday, November 16, 2013 17:29

Review 215. Eliza Crewe – Cracked.

17345314Title: Cracked.
Author: Eliza Crewe.
Pages: 327.
Published: November 5th 2013 by Strange Chemistry 
Sort: Part one of ‘Soul eater’
Source: I received an eARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Meet Meda. She eats people.
Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the three men in suits show up. They can do what she can do. They’re like her. Meda might finally have a chance to figure out what she is. The problem? They kind of want to kill her. Before they get the chance Meda is rescued by crusaders, members of an elite group dedicated to wiping out Meda’s kind. This is her chance! Play along with the “good guys” and she’ll finally figure out what, exactly, her ‘kind’ is. Be careful what you wish for. Playing capture the flag with her mortal enemies, babysitting a teenage boy with a hero complex, and trying to keep one step ahead of a too-clever girl are bad enough. But the Hunger is gaining on her. The more she learns, the worse it gets. And when Meda uncovers a shocking secret about her mother, her past, and her destiny… she may finally give into it.
Rating

Is this book the best book I’ve ever read? No, it isn’t, but it’s clever and funny enough to make it highly entertaining. There is an anti-heroin, a sarcastic girl, a cute boy and one who looks very arrogant at the outside, but it actually sweet on the inside. This combined with action and demons makes this book an enjoyable ride!

Like the blurb says: Meda is a soul-eater, because her father was a demon and that makes her a halfling. Her mother turned that into something ‘good’ by letting her feed on bad people. Meda can hunt these people down by making a connection with spirits who haunt the earth looking for closure.

When Meda is on a mission in an asylum, she comes across three demons who want to bring her with them. She is rescued by a dashing boy: a Crusader whose mission on earth is to protect Beacons (people capable of doing something really good) from demons. The Crusader, Chi, wants to bring her inside his circles. Meda is more than happy to play the part, because she is desperate for answer. Her mother always told her she was the only one and now, a whole world with demons and crusades have appeared to her. Chi, is joined by a girl with a cripple leg called Jo and a cutiepie called Uri.

It’s fun to be in Meda's head. She is tough and blunt, but it wasn’t difficult to connect with her. It was realistic for a half demon and I appreciated her a lot. Jo doesn’t trust Meda at all. I loved this girl from the moment we met her. She is broken and hurt, but tries to hide that by sarcastic and harsh replies. She is not easy to be around with, but there was something about her that clicked with me. That is the great thing about these characters: they are all flawed and therefor, realistic. And credits for the lack of romance, because that wouldn’t fit in this book. It’s there, but it’s on the background.

I also liked where the story was going to. Demons are terrorizing their hiding place and they want to claim Meda. This gives much action and Crewe knows how to write those scenes. I liked how we slowly unravel what is going on along side Meda (although I guessed some parts) and the ending is how I like it. Everything is wrapped-up, but there are still a lot of things to discover.

Overall, a fun book and I’m looking forward to more!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

21 comments:

  1. This is my first time coming across Cracked and with the main character being so blunt, sarcastic and generally, realistic I think I'd enjoy this book. I've read one or two where the soul eating thing kinda put me off but I totally want to give the type another chance and see if I like it. And this actually sounds fun than just painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how the soul-eating is presented, more as 'sucking life away,' haha.

      Delete
  2. I must admit I'm intrigued by the anti-heroine character. I can't say I've read too many of those. I also like the soul-eater arch. It's too bad it didn't really satisfy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hearing about this book ages ago, but yours is the first review I've seen for it. It sounds like a fun read, I love the idea of the main character being an anti-heroine, and a soul-eater as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's sometimes so refreshing to see a complete different MC :)

      Delete
  4. This definitely sounds like something I would enjoy! Comedy, adventure, danger---I passed on this one because I had too much on my tbr already, but now I regret it! I'll have to order a copy soon---I'm always looking for reads that are fun and purely entertaining, and I'm glad to come across another book that doesn't revolve too heavily around a romance! Thanks for recommending, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy when I find a book with just a hint of romance. Sometimes it's so tiring. It's also great that it's not a romance with the MC :D

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an interesting book :D I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it. <3 thank you for sharing Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Carina! Always happy to help :)

      Delete
  6. oooh, looks like you enjoyed it Mel, it sounds really fun, especially with the main character being a "baddie" soul eater.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! It seems like Strange Chemistry (the publisher) produces books that are unique.

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are doing great! I've really enjoyed their books so far.

      Delete
  8. This is the first I've heard of this one but it looks interesting. I like the idea of her being a soul-eater and not know how to control herself. Great review.

    -Mari @The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I could introduce this book to you :)

      Delete
  9. I think this sounds like a pretty awesome novel!
    I like the fact that Meda eats people (which makes me sound weird, haha). It's just so unique, and could be done in such an epic way. And it seems like Crewe does that, which is great!
    I love flawed characters, because I think they give so much more depth to the book, so I am really eager to read about those that you mentioned.
    Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what spoke to me, haha. Flawed characters are the best :)

      Delete
  10. This is the first review I've read for this one actually! And how fun it sounds!! It seems like it has pretty much every component necessary for a fun read, even if it wasn't completely amazing. I would definitely give it a shot! Thanks for the review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every book as to be amazing. Sometimes it's more than enough to read something fun :D

      Delete
  11. I loved Meda...but didn't like the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0