Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:47

Review 210. Eric Shanower – The wonderful wizard of Oz.

6662883Title: The wonderful wizard of Oz.
Author: Eric Shanower.
Pages: 216.
Published: September 16th 2009 by Marvel
Sort: Marvel’s Oz comic series part 1.
The premiere American fantasy adventure gets the Merry Marvel treatment! Eisner Award-winning writer/artist Eric Shanower (Age of Bronze) teams up with fan-favorite artist Skottie Young (New X-Men) to bring L. Frank Baum's beloved classic to life! When Kansas farm girl Dorothy flies away to the magical Land of Oz, she fatally flattens a Wicked Witch, liberates a living Scarecrow and is hailed by the Munchkin people as a great sorceress... but all she really wants to know is: how does she get home? Collects The Wonderful Wizard of Oz #1-8.

Rating:

I don’t read many comic books, but I used to read them when I was younger. I was browsing on Goodreads like I do all the time and I found this one. I thought it looked interesting and when I saw pictures on google I was hooked.

This book is wonderful! It stays so close to the original story and the illustrations are simply stunning. This is the type of drawing I love. It’s detailed and I couldn’t stop staring at every frame. I was captured by the story and it finished far too soon. I’m definitely going to take a look at the other books in this Oz comic series. This comic is highly recommended if you love the story from Oz. And how can you resist this?

If you don't know the story. It's about a girl named Dorothy who gets swept away in a storm to the land of Oz. On her way to the Great Wizard, she meets a scare crow, a tin man and a lion. They all want something from the wizard, but he might not be who they expected.

This is definitely one of the prettiest comics I’ve read so far.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

31 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love the illustrations!! I may have to purchase this as a collector's item! I wonder if other classic stories have been done by this author? Off to check it out. Thanks, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but he does have more wizard of Oz stories!

      Delete
  2. Aw, what a charming version of this story! I like leafing through different editions of books I love too, especially if they're illustrated. I went through a period where I collected Winnie the Pooh in various different languages, too. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just read these myself (http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/2013/09/marvel-wizard-of-oz-graphic-novels.html) the art is amazing!!!! I mean ... I would frame it and hang it in my house!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! There are some great things to capture as a painting :D

      Delete
  4. The illustrations are so cute! It looks awesome, I would totally buy a copy and just stare at the pages all day. I definitely need to check this out. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to check this out! I've read Wizard of Oz before, but the illustrations in this comic book look so charming and cute! :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome, I had no idea they released a comic book about this but those illustrations are superb! I haven't read many graphic novels and stuff before except for The Walking Dead. Thanks for sharing Mel!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. That looks ADORABLE. I adore picture books. <3 And oh, such gorgeous pictures. Awesome review :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. <3 thank you for sharing Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I need this! Adding it to my Goodreads shelf now. Will have to get a copy as soon as I can. Wonderful review, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, It's so cute! I love the style. I was so addicted to comic books and mangas back then. Not sure why or when I stopped reading them. But I remember loving them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps this is one to bring you back to comics :D

      Delete
  10. Aww this looks so freaking cute!

    Lovely review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so gorgeous! I think I have it on my shelf I must must check. See this is a prime example of why you SHOULD read comics more often!! By the way did you get permission to show the images? I'll have to ask if I can do that if I ever put up a review as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the picture from his Deviant art site with a link if you click on the image.. If you go there, you can 'download' it, so I guess it's okay to use it if I credit him?

      Delete
  12. Wow, LOVE the style of that animation! How whimsical and charming. Awesome, thanks for putting this one on my radar, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The artwork on this looks lovely! This sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sigh, so pretty! I haven't read a comic since my obsession with Archie Comics dies down (I really want to start reading them again though) So I'll definitely look this one up. It's like food for the eyes. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That art looks beautiful! And I'm a huge OZ fan. I used to read all the original books when I was younger, and I love comics. Definitely going to check this one out. Thanks for the review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks absolutely adorable! I've wanted to read this for so long!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0