Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:11

Review 209. Robin Bridges – The gathering storm.

11164732Title: The gathering storm.
Author: Robin Bridges.
Pages: 386.
Published: January 10th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers.
Sort: Part one of ‘Katerina’.
St. Petersburg, Russia, 1888. As she attends a whirl of glittering balls, royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark secret: she can raise the dead. No one knows. Not her family. Not the girls at her finishing school. Not the tsar or anyone in her aristocratic circle. Katerina considers her talent a curse, not a gift. But when she uses her special skill to protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue. An evil presence is growing within Europe's royal bloodlines—and those aligned with the darkness threaten to topple the tsar. Suddenly Katerina's strength as a necromancer attracts attention from unwelcome sources . . . including two young men—George Alexandrovich, the tsar's standoffish middle son, who needs Katerina's help to safeguard Russia, even if he's repelled by her secret, and the dashing Prince Danilo, heir to the throne of Montenegro, to whom Katerina feels inexplicably drawn. The time has come for Katerina to embrace her power, but which side will she choose—and to whom will she give her heart?

Rating:

The person who wrote the blurb did a great job in lying. It might sound like an interesting book, but believe me, it’s not. I’m still not sure how I managed to read this book. There were several moments where I wanted to DNF it, but I was hoping it would become better. So I continued and I must say, the ending made it a little bit better. In combination with a not too bad protagonist: 2 flowers instead of 1.

The main subject in this book is one family who find out about Katerina’s secret and they want to use her to gain more power. The Prince Danilo wants to marry her to use his full potential as supernatural and Katerina is swept away to his family. In the mean time, an army of dead soldiers has been raised and Katerina is trying to find out who is behind it.

It was boring. I liked the begining. Katerina summoned a dead animal and she scared herself so much, that she swore to never speak about her gift/curse. That almost the only thing we get to see about her Necromancer power. I wish it was more explored. The author could have given her any other power and it wouldn’t have made a difference for the story. Katerine wasn’t a bad character. I like that she still tries to achieve her dream: becoming a doctor (which isn’t allowed in Russia in this time period) The problem is that I just didn’t care for her. I felt so disconnect from the story and I was hoping to get more action or excitement. Instead, I got more names and titles, making it even more confusing. There were so many people in this story, some who didn’t even matter, and it made the story messy. I still have no idea who everyone is – I don’t even know who is in charge. There are countless amounts of princes, dukes and other titles.

Luckily, the ending was more exciting. Katerina is practically kidnapped and used in a ritual for Danilo’s powers. They unleash something dark and Katerina must fix it in the name of the tsar. I’m happy that it’s quite wrapped up, because that means I don’t have to read the second book – at least not anytime soon.

Many other bloggers rate this book with 4, even 5 stars, but I’m sorry.. I just don’t see it.
tumblr_inline_mtonnq4Iqe1s1sezo

If you've read this book and liked it, please let me know why :D
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

39 comments:

  1. So sad when a book had potential but fails to execute. :( The summary for this one sounded good to me too, but after reading the meh review I decided not to pick it up. So glad I didn't bother now.

    Hope your next read is more enjoyable, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! You spared yourself a boring read :D

      Delete
  2. Ugh I hate those books that trick you in the synopsis. It's like Antithesis (this book I read) all over again. Like this one, it was plain boring.

    Hope your next read is better! Lovely review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm so sorry that you didn't enjoy it :( It's been ages since I read it, but I loved it. But then, my taste may have changed since then, lol (A) will re-read it before reading the last two books. Someday.. Anyway. Loved your review. <3 Thank you for being honest Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, someday.. that's how I feel about a lot of books.

      Delete
  4. Aw man. It's funny; I just read another review of this yesterday and she gushed over it. Seeing it in two ends of the reading taste spectrum is interesting. So I might be passing on this one for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo to misleading synopsis's. I actually wouldn't normally pick up the book because it screams LOVE TRIANGLE but after your review, I'm not too sure. It's sad to see that she didn't really use her powers that much until the end. Great review and hopefully you have better luck with your next read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Misleading synopsis's are the worst. It's so annoying when you think a book is about one thing and then it's completely different -.- The book also sounds pretty 'meh'. If there's one thing I can't stand while reading a book, it's getting bored. That's worse than instant love! At least if the book is a bit fun it's not torture to read. But boredom... I really have to force myself to pick up a book if that happens. And then the second thing I hate: not having a clue who's who and what's happening. Sounds like this book has both of these things... I don't think I'll be reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I would have preferred 10 love-triangles over this.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Celine above. Misleading synopsis are so frustrating! I'm sorry to hear that this was a pretty boring read for you. I did like the sound of it initially, but I guess that was based on the inaccurate description. I don't think I could deal with anything slow and confusing now. Thanks for the helpful review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I'm very glad I decided not to pick this one up. I don't know why the description didn't appeal to me but I guess my gut instinct was right if you found it so boring and wanted to DNF so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I borrow some of that gut instinct? It would spare me from reading boring books like this :p

      Delete
  10. This one looks so good, too bad it wasn't for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm that this book didn't work out for you Mel, it always annoys me when you come across a misleading book and then end up disappointed. I think that the lack of connection with characters and pacing would certainly make this a difficult read for me too. I hope you next read is a lot more enjoyable and thank you for your honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's always hard if you can't connect with the character, but combine is with a slow pacing and a chaos of names.. it's even worse.

      Delete
  12. Oh no Mel, sounds like you really didn't enjoy it! It's the worse when the blurb is misleading. Just makes you disappointed. I hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is :D It's not hard to be better, haha.

      Delete
  13. I don't remember the exact number, but I gave it a 1-2 star rating, too. The story felt messy to me, as well, and I almost DNFed it. It's a shame because the summary sounded amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of those books that I really wanted to read, but thought I would hate! Great review ;)
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I HATE it when summaries lie to me :P
    I am so sorry this disappointed you so much. Honestly I never bothered to read the summary to the book until now and it sounded like something I would have liked except that the summary is a lie -.-

    Lovely Review Mel, I hope your next read is a whole lot better! :)

    -Rashika @ Tangled in Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you take the summary, you would expect a wonderful story. Instead you get blablabla *names* blabla *names* :p

      Delete
  16. HAHA! "The person who wrote the blurb did a great job in lying." That's extremely disappointing. I read the blurb and thought WOO MY KIND OF BOOK! But I'm so glad I read your review. I have LOW tolerance for boring books. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I could have you save your time! :D

      Delete
  17. I was going to give this books ago but honestly it just dropped on the face of the earth... people stopped talking about and it lost all its hype. At some point I do remembering having a copy but I just really wasn't into reading it. I get where you are coming from about it being boring.

    Lovely honest review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a hype? Probably before I became a blogger then :)

      Delete
  18. oh God I remember reading this book, I was confused at how many characters there were in the book! I totally agree with you about the ending! I'm like "NOW the exciting stuff happens?" lol... Thanks for your honest review!
    - Farah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hah hah, I'm sorry but the first line in your review made me laugh. I'm sorry you were disappointed by the book, though--I was excited about it too, but somehow the story didn't grab me the way it should have, and I never ended up finishing it.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I didn't finish it either.. although that certainly was the best part.

      Delete
  20. LOL at your wonderful GIF Mel! ;D<3
    But yeah, all I've been hearing is how this book is soo good and how it's a must read. It's definitely nice to see a different opinion on it.
    And ohh, not knowing who's in charge would annoy me too, especially when there are so many titles. It's like King Lear - being called a King when he isn't really one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are dukes and more dukes and tsars and great grand nephews of tsars from tsars, so confusing :p

      Delete
  21. Hah your review. I am sorry this one wasn't for you. I haven't really seen it around so this is all I have heard of it. Let's just say I'm not going to think about reading it.... probably ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0