Monday, October 21, 2013 11:37

Review 207. Sarah J. Maas – Crown of midnight.

17670709Title: Crown of midnight.
Author: Sarah J. Maas.
Pages: 432.
Published: August 15th 2013 by Bloomsbury Childrens
Sort: Part two of ‘Throne of glass.’
Review part 1: Throne of glass.

Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her.
Rating

You need this book in your life. If you haven’t read Throne of glass yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? I recently reviewed the novella's for this series and I recommend reading these first to get to know Celaena. Throne of glass rocks and this is by far one of my favorite sequels. This book blew me away. With all the unexpected twists, heart-breaking scenes and awesome characters, this book earns his place in my all time favorite list. I’m going to keep this review non-spoilery if you haven't read any book, because I want to persuade you to read this series. It’s perfection.

Let me tell you honestly that I’ve had a hard time writing down this review. My feelings are still all over the place and I can’t seem to say goodbye yet. I’m in desperate need of more, so the wait might kill me.
tumblr_m6mfjjKlHa1ranhnao1_250
There is not a thing I disliked about this book, so I’m going to break it down for you:

1. Characters. After re-reading Throne of glass and reading the novella’s, I’m even more in love with Celaena. She is flawed, but realistic and I like her different sides. Some people were disappointed by the lack of action in the first book, but be prepared to meet the tough, kick-ass assassin in action! She makes dangerous plans behind the king’s back, but she doesn’t even know how dangerous it is yet.. I liked to see the real killer in her and boy, you don’t want her to be angry with you! It was fun unraveling more about her past and true identity. I also loved to see her vulnerability and how she doesn't simply forget Sam.

"He'd love her enough to risk everything - to give up everything. He'd loved her so much that she still felt the echos of it, even know."

There are also the two handsome, awesome males. Dorian discovers a secret about himself. Something that can ruin his life forever and he needs to find a way to deal with it. He is on the background in this story, but I still liked his presence. He plays an important part in Celaena’s journey, but it was a good decision to make one guy shine; Chaol. There is so much Chaol time and this made my heart smile. I love this guy. SPOILER: FINALLY! I’ve been waiting so long for them to kiss and I was screaming. They are so perfect together. My shippers heart is happy.
Nehemia is the best friend we’re all looking far. She isn’t afraid to stand up to Celaena. From the first book on, these two have been soul mates and I loved reading about the time they spend together. SPOILER: Sarah, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? That was brutal and so unexpected. I’m still shocked.
The king. Sometimes there are villains who have good sides, but this man is just pure evilness. He scared the crap out of me. He is ruthless and a maniac. I can understand that even Celaena is frightened for him and this is what the story needs. The tension he gives and the mystery around his part in the darkness - the question what he is up to – completes the cast.

There are also some other characters,  like the male courtesan Archer and Celaena’s dog Fleetfoot. I like the distinctive voices and how everyone has a role in the story.

2. World-building. This was the only aspect that lacked in Throne of glass, but wow, Sarah made up for it here. We get to find out everything alongside Celaena and let me tell you: it’s awesome. It was great to learn more about the Wyrdmarks and I never realized what they could do.


3. Plot. Wow. You guys, this was unbelievable. It’s filled with action, very character-driven, sprinkled with romance and made up with heart-breaking twists. When I finished this book, I had a feeling I should have seen it coming: but I didn’t. I was shocked and amazed by Sarah’s genius plot. Every little piece of information comes together into this climax that was better than I could ever imagine. So clever.

4. Pacing and writing-style. This book was a perfect mixture of these two aspects. Sarah has a great way with words and everything flows together. I wasn’t even aware that I was reading. It was more like a movie in my head and I couldn’t let go. The pace was even and enjoyable, because of the good balance between action, romance and mystery. There is no rushing, but there is also no moment to get bored.

5. The ending. That is how you write an ending! I wish every author was so gifted to end their story like this. I’ve been reading some disappointing series ending lately, but this is how I like to see them. It makes me anxious, excited and inpatient for the next book, but it’s also a good conclusion to the story in this book. That part has ended and we’re ready to continue.

If these things doesn’t want to make you read the book, I don’t know what will do the trick. It has everything you could possibly look for in a YA fantasy and I definitely see this series becoming a ‘classic’ like Harry Potter.


author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

58 comments:

  1. No, I really do not have an excuse for not reading this one or Throne of Glass yet. The time will come soon for some extreme awesomeness! This sounds like the perfect book, I've only heard rave reviews for it. Great review Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, I hope so Jeann, can't wait for you to read it :D!

      Delete
  2. I'm currently reading this! Awesome review, I can't wait to finish the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi *waves* perhaps we can talk about it on FF :D!

      Delete
    2. Best idea ever :D (I kind of forgot that existed, whoops!)

      Delete
  3. Wasn't this amazing?! I just had my heart in my throat the whole time. There were some deeply romantic and deeply heartbreaking scenes in this book. Can't wait for the next one!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you loved it, Mel. It's really a great sequel and I couldn't agree more about Chaol. But he didn't just made my heart smile, he exploded it with happiness (sorry for the sudden outburst). :D Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I agree, it made me scream and it scared my boyfriend, haha.

      Delete
  5. I KNOW. NEHEMIA!!! I was really, REALLY on the fence about Throne of Glass, but Crown of Midnight dramatically improved my opinion of Calaena, the series, and Maas as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to skim your review because CoM is currently on its way to me, but I love it simply because you used a Benedict Cumberbatch GIF, haha! (I always skim reviews if I'm going to read that particular book soon, even if the review is non-spoilery ;) I'm still afraid I'll find anything that'll spoil me!) I just looked at the bold pieces and they're the points that are usually most important to me in a book. So far it seems that no-one has disliked this one (or even given it anything less than five stars!) so I really hope I'll feel the same. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right!! What the heck am I waiting for? More time sadly. I did pick up the first book this year - so I will definitely read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO MUCH YES!!! OMG! I just have so much love for this series and I'm so glad you love it too! :D
    And yes to the Nehemia spoiler, I still can't believe that happened... :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no shortage of love for this series, as you know, so I agree 100% with what you said. I am glad we are members of the Sarah J. Maas fanclub together. CANNOT WAIT for the next book. I WANT MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M WAITING FOR. Except maybe more time. *cries*

    I love that you love this so much, and your review makes me wish I had a Wendy clone to read this series asap, hee hee. I love your "this book is special to me" rating, too!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could clone you, I would have done it, because this series is SO worth reading!

      Delete
  11. Great review, doll! I have had this series on my TBR for a while and it's awesome to know the sequel is just as strong as the first. I also find a lot of the time that much of the world building is saved for book 2. The king sounds like a fanatstic villain I love the really evil ones - well I love to hate them haha. I really should give this series a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you liked this one! Isn't it fabulous!!! I just wish she could get the rest of the books out sooner. Of course then they probably wouldn't be as good, but man, I hate the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked this one too but the ending kind of pissed me off. I’m still excited to read book 3 though. Team Chaol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't really like Throne of Glass so I am still iffy about reading Crown of Midnight but your review has me almost convinced! I definitely need to see this and the promise of an unpredictable, ending? Sign me up. Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people who weren't fans of TOG end up really liking COM, so I would suggest to give it a shot. Find a copy in the library and be surprised :D!

      Delete
  15. Mel!! This was an AWESOME review. And man, I can't believe I haven't read this yet! I just haven't had the time. But I CANNOT wait for when I do! Everything about this sequel is a win.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mel, I am THIS close to going to TBD and adding both THRONE OF GLASS and CROWN OF MIDNIGHT to my cart and then checking out, because if I'm going to buy one, I need to buy the other. Thank you so much, this is REALLY healthy for my pocket. *sarcasm overload* ;) But really -- I'm so glad that you liked this, though it does make me a little scared that I might end up not enjoying it because my expectations will be too high.

    Celaena was only okay in the first book for me. I was kind of looking forward to the more cold and heartless part of her, but I got an ordinary protagonist who got caught up in a love triangle. Still, that didn't make me like the book any less, so it's great that we get to see more of her character development here! And hah, I'm probably the only one in the Team Dorian boat. That's okay; I get him all to myself. ;) A bit disappointed he doesn't have a bigger role here, though.

    FLEETFOOT. That is a sweet-ass name

    " When I finished this book, I had a feeling I should have seen it coming: but I didn’t." -- No! Does this mean that the book ends in a cliffhanger?! I don't know how many more cliffies I can take this year. *sobs* (Don't tell me how it ends.) But those are the best kinds of books: the ones that should've have been so obvious, but wasn't, until it slaps you right in the face like a wake-up call. I love twisty plots!

    Maybe I'll wait until the third book comes out. ;) But either way, lovely review, Mel! I really hope I can get to this soon, because I'm just so excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're welcome ;) I think Celaena will really surprise you in COM! :) Her brute-less part is coming up several times! And there is still enough Dorian to makes you happy, I believe.

      It's not really too much of a cliff-hanger, it's more revealed information that surprised me :D

      Delete
  17. Ahhh so excited! I loved your review of the novellas and to now see your review of Crown of Midnight, I obviously chose wisely when buying this series! Of course, now I just need to get around to reading it and it's going to happen for sure! Anytime a second book in a series can be amazing I'm sold because so often I feel they suffer from Second Book Syndrome. Eek! I want to read it now! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many feels! CHAOL <3 Love love loved this book, a great improvement compared to ToG

    Fab review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dude, you are killing me with your glowing reviews! I hope you know that you're responsible for my out-of-control TBR Pile, lady! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the sequel even more than Throne of Glass, especially the world-building in it. I'm really happy to hear that Maas made up for whatever was lacking in ToG! I can't wait to read this.. gosh!!! Thank you for your lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm trying to persuade people, so I'm happy to hear it works ;)

      Delete
  20. I did think this installment was much stronger than the first. If anything, there's now TOO MUCH world building. Lol. But that's better than the alternative. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh gawd, reading your review made me want to re-read the series RIGHT NOW. You really covered every single aspect that made this a mind-blowing sequel. I felt just like you did when I finished this one: unable to stop the feels and not at all ready to say goodbye ♥ Every single element was stepped up a notch from book 1 and the results were truly epic! I'm planning on (finally!) reading the novellas soon --> hopefully it doesn't 'force' me to re-read the rest after :D Excellent review Mel ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if there is one series perfect for re-reading it's this one :D I hope you'll enjoy the novella's as much as I did :D!

      Delete
  22. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!!! I am now readint the novellas because I want to know EVERYTHING! and I need to meet Sam!
    I agree with you and I can't wait what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm holding off reading your review until I, myself, have read the book (it's next on my tbr pile, so squee!) but I wanted to say FANTASTIC NEWS that you gave it 5+ flowers! This is very, very good. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  24. My library just got this in and I snagged it off the shelf today! I'm hoping to get to it quite soon.

    I'm glad you think there's more action in this one! I enjoyed Throne of Glass, but I thought the summary (and the new covers) were somewhat misleading. Celaena can be pretty frilly!

    I'm also looking forward to getting to know the characters better. Unfortunately, I never read e-novellas (I guess I would if they were free). I hope I'm not missing out on TOO much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know what you think about it after finishing it! :D

      Delete
    2. & you aren't missing out TOO much, but I thought it was a fun way to see more of Celaena and how she became the girl she is today. Good news: the novella's are bundled and will be published as a paperback! :)

      Delete
  25. Oh, fine. You are making me interested in these books :) Thank you for sharing Mel. <3 I'm so glad you loved this book so much. Love your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've heard that Crown of Midnight is even better than Throne of Glass because there are finally some kick-ass assassinating in action and I'm glad you agree!
    And hmm, maybe Crown of Midnight will finally make me decide whether I'm Team Chaol or Team Dorian...
    However, I'll have to put off Crown of Midnight for a little while longer because I'm worried that the ending has a cliffhanger...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I recently reviewed the novella's for this series and I recommend reading these first to get to know Celaena. -- AGREED. I found it kind of hard to relate to some bits of her in ToG without that added vulnerability from the novellas.

    1. Characters. After re-reading Throne of glass and reading the novella’s, I’m even more in love with Celaena. She is flawed, but realistic and I like her different sides. -- Oops. Hhaaha, sounds like you might not have had the same problem. :D But I will agree with you on this point in general. I was thinking about this series, and I realized most people talk about Celaena and Chaol and Dorian and how much they love the characters. It's always the characters that seem #1.

    "e is on the background in this story, but I still liked his presence. He plays an important part in Celaena’s journey, but it was a good decision to make one guy shine; Chaol. There is so much Chaol time and this made my heart smile. I love this guy." -- YOU KNOW WHAT MAKES MY HEART LESS HAPPY? I'd seen some people saying how in her original fiction, they don't end up together and I really hope that's not the case because I can see the Dorian/C. bit after the revelation but NOOOO CHAOL/C. MAKES ME HAPPY TOO.

    "3. Plot. Wow. You guys, this was unbelievable. It’s filled with action, very character-driven, sprinkled with romance and made up with heart-breaking twists. When I finished this book, I had a feeling I should have seen it coming: but I didn’t. I was shocked and amazed by Sarah’s genius plot. Every little piece of information comes together into this climax that was better than I could ever imagine. So clever." --- SO AGREED. I think half the reason why this was so popular everywhere is because the plot really really really improved. So many more twists and different character arcs :O and and and as you said, the ending. It ends with answers to some plots and the promise of many more to come. Love it. Did you see the post SJ Maas put up about the third book btw? She didn't reveal much except a little tidbit about a new character to come... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I've seen more people who had trouble connecting with Celaena - and I see where that is coming from! She is not the easiest character :p

      The story really needed those arc's and more plot. It was awesome <3 Yes, I've seen that post. The new title is stunning huh? Can't wait to meet that particular character.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0